I'mmmmm....Outtathere!

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
While 1/24 is my official termination date, 1/17 was my last day - I'm burning the last of the use-or-lose time. Technically I could change my mind at 3:59pm on the 24th, but gee, ya' know, I kinda doubt I will. ;)

The last day was a little strange feeling. Started out actually doing productive stuff, tying up some loose ends, etc. Did some walkin' around shaking hands, then they had the obligatory cake, with some lame words from the boss, & some from me too. Was taken to a nice lunch by some coworkers, then -- bye, so long, adios.

Went straight home - I had intended to go to the gym, but was still too full from lunch. Felt a little disoriented, - like "is this for real?" Laid on the couch & read some, then drifted in and out of a light snooze. When DW got home the rest of the evening was the standard routine.

Thursday was spent running around doing errands - nice not to feel time stressed - then had a long workout & headed home to fix dinner, etc.

Friday took myself a roadtrip up to DC, where I checked out the RV show - some of those suckers cost more than our house is assessed. Saturday went to the new AIr & Space Museum out by Dulles, a truly awesome place.

SO now it's Sunday afternoon, we're having the first snow of the year, the fireplace is stoked, & the game is on. Oh - and I am not tensing up over what I need to do tomorrow.

I think I can get used to this!

Bobot said:
While 1/24 is my official termination date, 1/17 was my last day - I'm burning the last of the use-or-lose time. Technically I could change my mind at 3:59pm on the 24th, but gee, ya' know, I kinda doubt I will. ;)

Congratulations Bobot - you've slipped through the bars and are now a free man! :cool:

Congratulations, Bobot! Looks like you're having no trouble making the transition... someday you'll have to read over your old posts and see whether things now are as much of a concern as they may have been back then.

Bobot said:
Saturday went to the new AIr & Space Museum out by Dulles, a truly awesome place.
So it's everything it's cracked up to be, eh? What's your favorite part? Is it anywhere near a Metro stop?

Welcome to the club! We tend to be less stressed and enjoy life a bit more.

Congratulations! - I kinda missed out on this sort of fun! - Yes I had the goodbye lunch and stuff but I transitioned into a part time consulting mode that ended up being more stressfull than the job. I got rid of this gig after about a year and a half. So I never had the clean break that you are experiencing.

Enjoy it!

Thanks for the nice post, Bobot. It's sounds like fun. I remember it well. Sunday evenings still have an odd "feel" to them, realizing that I don't need to head to work in the a.m. I love it.

Have fun.

What lowflyer said.

I have to be at a volunteer training class tomorrow morning. It's the first time in 20 months I've had to be at "w*ork" on Monday. Can't say that it's a particularly good feeling. :p

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Nords said:
So it's everything it's cracked up to be, eh? What's your favorite part? Is it anywhere near a Metro stop?

Re: the A&S Museum, no Metro stop out there, although I think there's one planned at the airport - who knows when. It's very accesible by car, though, if you time your trip after the a.m. rush. Saturday was a piece of cake. Tip: get there at the opening at 10 am, it didn't get crowded until afternoon.
Best parts? Hard to say - there's the shuttle Enterprise, & the SR-71, & the Enola Gay, & just an incredible variety from all eras, military, commercial - oh yeah, a Concorde - and GA of all type, rockets & missiles, pre-WW1, ... on & on. Maybe I'll post some pix for those interested - any recommendations on sites like Shutterfly?

Congrats to you, Bobot!

Sounds like you are well on your way to enjoying the rest of your life. My "last days" experience was similar to yours with the luncheon, etc. That was last August and I have not regretted my choice to go. It was time.

It has been a long time since my last trip to DC area. It is on my list of destinations.

The best to you and yours...........

Congratulations! It is indeed such a nice feeling knowing that you are now on your own schedule. Enjoy!

Congrats!!

Nice to see another escapee. Great to see you making good use of your free time. My list of "free time" activities is growing everyday.

My countdown clock is ticking down but there are a couple of issues yet to resolve before my final date can be determined. But, it will be before July 2007.

Congratulations!

Felt a little disoriented, - like "is this for real?" Laid on the couch & read some, then drifted in and out of a light snooze.

What a coincidence -- that's what I do every day!

And I thought the air and space museum was a big empty building!

Congrats on your freedom. How far away from DC are you? Annapolis is interesting also, with the Naval Academy there. In the other direction you have the beautiful mountains of WV.

Grab a lot of pens, paperclips and staples before you leave.

Then in three or four years you can look at the box of them and ask yourself "Why the @#$% did I bring any of this stuff home?" and throw it out.

Going on a year now, myself. What was it I used to do? Congrats! You won't regret it.

setab

Back
Top Bottom