Induction vs gas cooktop

So what's the difference between a regular electric top and an induction? Does it give you better temperature control then a regular electric? I've always had a gas in my home but have used electric tops many times when traveling and never liked the control. When needing to adjust the temperature (boil to a simmer) an electric seems to takes forever, a gas is almost instantaneous.

So what's the difference between a regular electric top and an induction? Does it give you better temperature control then a regular electric? I've always had a gas in my home but have used electric tops many times when traveling and never liked the control. When needing to adjust the temperature (boil to a simmer) an electric seems to takes forever, a gas is almost instantaneous.

Induction cooktops work using magnetism. You have to use cookware that will stick to a magnet... no all aluminum pans. It's totally different than a flat electric cooktop. There is no heating element in the stove. Instead, it creates a magnetic field that causes the pan to heat up. Temperature changes are instantaneous like gas. Many people consider induction to be equal or better than gas in responsiveness.

For those who changed from gas to induction:

Does the induction require 220 power?

Yes. Check the requirements with the manufacturer for any specific appliance, but generally... Induction cooktops require a dedicated, grounded 240-volt circuit protected with a 40- or often a 50-amp breaker.

I was a gas person for years and loved to cook. Moved into a house with no gas service, was thinking about putting in a propane cooktop but was convinced not to by a chef in Boston.

I am so glad I didn't. Induction gives me as much if not more control than gas (I can even set my cooktop to be a Sues Vide cooker with the addition of a WiFi controlled thermostat!). I can boil water and heat a pan just as quickly and with as much control as I could with gas.

I absolutely recommend an induction cooktop.

Also, if there is no pan on the stove, there is no heat. I love this photo showing an example of this:
Chocolate-induction-cooking-recipes.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. Check the requirements with the manufacturer for any specific appliance, but generally... Induction cooktops require a dedicated, grounded 240-volt circuit protected with a 40- or often a 50-amp breaker.

Then induction is not an option for me.

There's only 30A, 3-wire (no ground) connection in my kitchen.

If the current glass-top electric dies I'll probably just extend the gas pipe up from the furnace room below the kitchen and switch to a (sealed burner) gas range.

Another advantage of induction which I love is the ability to clean up spills right then and there. Lift pot, clean spill, replace pot. No need to turn off the heat or wait for the glass to cool down.

So have you tried things like roasting peppers on an induction cooktop? We have both, we both cook well and we prefer gas. Cooking is about developing flavors not just heating what's in the pan.

IMHO, induction is much better than normal electric ranges. I have tried a friend's induction and it worked great. However, I cook a lot and have always preferred gas. I can look at the gas flame and tell how hot it is (not degrees but cooking ability). If this issue is not important, then either will likely work well. I do like the flat cook top of the inductions and the ease of cleaning.

So have you tried things like roasting peppers on an induction cooktop? We have both, we both cook well and we prefer gas. Cooking is about developing flavors not just heating what's in the pan.

If you prefer gas by all means use it. Great!

I do a pretty good job of cooking flavorful food on my electric stove.
I believe most of know that cooking involves flavors.

Oh, I can roast my peppers on my gas BBQ. And I find it a lost less messy outdoors.

Last edited:
My house came with an electric cooktop. I didn't care much for it - difficult to keep looking nice, stays hot quite a while after shutting off, scratches easily.

I picked up a cheap induction burner (nu-wave) to try it out, and pretty much that's all I use. I love it. If I ever do get around to replacing the cooktop, it will be induction unit.

Meanwhile this single burner works great for a single person.

And another good thing about induction is when frying anything you can put paper towels under the pan and it catches the splatter and will not catch fire. We also put a paper towel down when using the cast iron so as not to scratch the glass.

Not me but you get the point.

I have a GE gas cooktop but 80% of the time I use my portable Viking induction cooktop. I love the induction easy surface cleanup, the lower heat lost to the kitchen, and the energy efficiency. I would change my stove to all-induction except I love to stir-fry in my carbon steel wok, and gas flame is superior for that type of cooking. I suppose I could simply buy an electric wok, but that is not the same either.

One other thought regarding induction vs gas is the noise level. I've only had experience with portable induction cooktops, so a built-in induction may be significantly quieter. There is always an induction fan that can be quite noticeable with a portable, and presumably less so with a built-in. This fan noise is in addition to the hood ventilation fan you turn on when cooking. The other noise is that most induction controls are buttons that beep whenever you change power levels or modes. The loudness of the beeps are kinda annoying. I chose the more expensive Viking induction because it had no buttons, rather it had a conventional turning knob that was easy, intuitive, and made no beeping noises. So if you like your cooking to be peaceful and meditative, look for induction cooktops that have lower noise levels.

Back
Top Bottom