Inexpensive Mediterranean climate for retirement?

We met a South African couple at a mixer last week and they are relocating to the US because of the crime situation there.

Puerto Rico sounds interesting.... close to the east coast... USD... English is prevalent as I recall....

We met a South African couple at a mixer last week and they are relocating to the US because of the crime situation there.

What we hear is that Cape Town is 'relatively' safe, ("Relative to where?" you might ask), while Jozi is a no-go......(although, 33 years ago, DW and I walked to a witch doctor's store there with no hassles whatsoever...and we were the only whites around.....compared to Nairobi a couple years later where we were advised that, after dark, if we wanted to go to (say) the hotel next door, it was considered virtually essential to take a cab.)

Last edited:
Why would Spain have a greater threat from ISIS than the UK, France or Belgium, which also have large Muslim populations?

Puerto Rico sounds interesting.... close to the east coast... USD... English is prevalent as I recall....
[FONT=&quot]I agree that Cape Town is relatively affordable and has some of the most stunning natural beauty I've seen anywhere. And climate can be pleasant if the time of year is selected carefully.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After several return visits and consideration of living there for part of the year, I decided against it. Unfortunately, with each subsequent visit I was the victim of increasing levels of random crimes, theft and vandalism. Whether it is while out and about or being the victim of an unscrupulous network of baggage handlers at the airport. Tourists and possessions are often targets with few options for recourse.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I will always have some fond memories of the views over vast tracts of inland vineyards, mountains, and scenic oceanside drives. And many delicious food and beverage choices. I saw the German and Dutch influences there, as well as the overall hospitality of many Afrikaans-speaking locals. But having to be in constant angst over personal safety, theft and vandalism is an ever-present, increasing concern for locals and tourists alike.

I'm happy to have experienced Cape Town. But I have no driving desire to return. A sort of "diminishing returns" destination, as I've experienced elsewhere, as well.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It won't keep me from exploring other corners of the globe, though. For that elusive "home-away-from-home".[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Experiencing a new destination as a relatively well-read "tumbleweed" is still my most preferred approach to travel. But I have learned that a heightened awareness of my surroundings and attention to personal safety concerns is as important as taking my passport. [/FONT]

I remember leading up to the WC there a couple of years ago, they were saying visitors shouldn't leave the hotel grounds, even during the day.

And then on top of it, they complained that some of the matches were in very cold weather. Well in August in the southern hemisphere, it gets cold.

Why would Spain have a greater threat from ISIS than the UK, France or Belgium, which also have large Muslim populations?

I didn't say it did. I mentioned Spain due to the climate and COL. I never mentioned UK, France or Belgium to be clear. The OP is interested in Mediterranean climates.

I like the way you think. Portugal is high on my list. For an EU country, it has a low cost of living and has some great coastal towns. I've heard good things about Cascais, a suburb of Lisbon. And they have a solid retirement visa program combined with a 10 year embargo on Portugal income tax for retirees to avoid the double taxation problem.
Looks like Portugal is about 60% COL of the US. Puerto Rico is 90% COL of the US. Certainly not worth it if that stat is correct.

Cost of Living Index by Country 2016

Posting right now from vacation spot in Rincon PR. Good prices, great food, top surfing, mostly young people and a nice mash up of Central America and Florida. Seems very safe and so laid back.

New Zealand around Auckland. You can retire there, but bring money

Can you? I looked into moving there a long time ago, and as I recall they had a Visa rule that required visitors to leave for 6 months out of the year. And they were very strict about letting US citizens emigrate there. Of course back then they were very pissed at the US about nuclear policies. Maybe things have changed.

Ventura county. Monterey (not Pebble Beach, just the regular part). Arroyo Grande, San Luis Obispo, Chula Vista, Oceanside, Vista. If you can tolerate a little more heat, Temecula, Valley Center, Fallbrook. It isn't all LA down here.

Think hard about how big a house you need. A smaller house or a condo might be plenty.

That being said, if I could talk the spouse into Europe for at least a few years, I'd be on the next flight out. He's eligible for Italian citizenship -- me too, as spouse -- and he's finally expressed some interest in pursuing that.

Puerto Rico is interesting. We were just there two weeks ago. Our 8th trip. I am still working and from the east coast it is a quick 3 hour flight. To the point-the economy there is in disarray. They have defaulted on their municipal bonds and the Supreme Court ruled they cannot file for chapter 9 bankruptcy. Sales tax is currently at 11.5% and will increase to 16.5% in April. Real estate prices are off 30-40% from their highs already and will likely fall further when the government raises the real estate tax as the only enforceable means to collect taxes. Much of the economy is already cash because of the high sales tax. In six months to a year it might be a good time to buy. Rental prices should reflect the decrease in price. I would strongly suggest renting for a year before buying anything.

Puerto Rico has some very favorable tax treatment for those who take up residence there. Do a google search on it.

Croatia specifically the towns of Split and Dubrovnik are fantastic. Hung out there a bit as a student in 1989 as the wall was coming down. No idea post war how it turned out .... .

Hi, I'm brand new to E-R. We'll be empty nesters in 2018 and anticipate retiring, downsizing and moving from our home in Virginia sometime after then. I'm originally from Sonoma County and desperately miss my dry CA summers without mosquitos, chiggers or AC. As much as I'd love to move back there, housing prices are crazy to the point where it just doesn't make economic sense until/unless the bubble pops.

Having said that, I would love to compile a list of suitable domestic or intl retirement destinations that have a Mediterranean climate and a low or moderate COL. I would prefer being within 30 miles of the coast so a far inland climate (with hotter summers) wouldn't be my first choice.

Looking forward to your responses!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

This thread will give you some of my general thoughts on 'where to retire' duckcalldan. http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/where-to-retire-to-80354.html

Regarding your specific situation, the first thing I would do is consider where you CAN try living. I list of 100 places other people like or think you might like, is useless if you can't legally live there.

Nor does 'low or moderate COL' mean anything. It is always best to be specific when possible. What YOU consider low or moderate may not be what I consider low or moderate after all. Saying what kind of monthly budget including rent you want to live on is far better and far more likely to get you responses that meet your needs budget wise.

People love to suggest places THEY like. The more specific criteria you provide, the more you force them to only suggest a place that fits YOUR criteria, not THEIR preferences.

So, if you wrote, what place with a Med climate; where a US citizen can live legally; on a budget of $20k per year including rent, can you suggest? People cannot (or at least shouldn't) suggest places for which they do not know the answer to ALL of your criteria.

Some of the places that have already been suggested to you would fail my personal criteria for example in regard to crime. One rule of thumb I use when looking at countries/places is. do the houses all have bars on the windows? If they do, it's off the list. That pretty much describes S. Africa for example. COL is irrelevant if you feel you need bars on your windows to be safe in my opinion.

As it is, based on what you have written, I do not know where to suggest to you as worth looking at. The only real criteria you have given is a somewhat loose 'Med climate'. That covers a broad band that circles the globe. The more relevant criteria you provide, the more relevant suggestions can be.

Last edited:
I use Duolingo app every day.

Been using for months. Not sure I feel fluent.

I still recall talking with a German guy in Toronto some 40 years ago; he had learned English at school in Germany, and considered himself fluent.

Upon his arrival in Canada as an immigrant, he was asked by an immigration official if he spoke English.....he said "I answered 'yes', but I soon found out that I didn't".

Much used colloquialisms, and the tendency not to completely finish sentences, (on the presumption that the listener has already filled in the blanks), are among the many linguistic deviations not generally covered in formal language lessons. ;)

+1 for Chile.

Coastal areas northwest of Santiago (Vina Del Mar or Valparaiso are favorites. Inexpensive; clean; nice climate and stable country. People are reasonably friendly (moreso if you have passing Spanish) and easy place to live. Nice access to airport and v cosmopolitian cities .. some of the best wine on the planet ... access to the Andes for outdoor recreation (whole country is probably 1-2 hour drive wide - coast to summit at that latitude).

It is a long flight from anywhere in the US and they have BIG earthquakes...

A few examples here:

http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/retire_to_chile.htm

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=retire in chile

IMHO, the only way for me to be fluent would be to move to the country and spend at least 6-8 months a year there, for five years minimum.

However, my American friends think I am brilliant when I can order in the native language, or ask a native a simple question and understand the answer. :D

And sometimes, it's nice to be able to get the gist of conversation or newspaper article, even if the details escape me.

Croatia specifically the towns of Split and Dubrovnik are fantastic. Hung out there a bit as a student in 1989 as the wall was coming down. No idea post war how it turned out .... .

Today those cities are beautiful, safe, and completely overrun with cruise ship traffic.

I have not been to Croatia but think this would be a nice choice. It is NOT part of the EU so Schengen would not apply.
The Istria penninsula of NW Croatia has been part of Italy over the centuries, most recently at the end of WW2. It's delightful. Many speak Italian.

Croatia joined the EU in 2013. It is not yet part of the Schengen Visa Area.

If you want to get all scientific about it, here's a U.S. view of the climate classification scale:
KG_USA.jpg

The web site with that picture has a .kmz file download available if you want to zoom around the world in Google Earth looking for the green zones:
World Maps of Köppen-Geiger climate classification

What about Croatia? Never been but supposedly more affordable than neighbor Italy to the west.
Been there for a month. Fabulous and inexpensive. Avoid Dubrovnik, Split and Zagreb to save money. There are many islands as well if you can handle that. We did an island cruise on a 38 passenger yacht and then rented a car and drove all the way north. Pula even has an intact colosseum. Tourists are mostly from eastern block up north. Krk is connected by causeway to the mainland. Everywhere else is a ferry ride away. 6 Kunas to the Euro.

The central highland area of Mexico might qualify as Mediterranean climate (or close enough). Relatively low humidity, moderate year round temps (though perhaps more variation than the typical Mediterranean climates) with moderately warm summers (that sometimes hit in our spring) and cool winters.

San Miguel de Allende, the areas around Lake Chapala, Oaxaca, points in between, maybe Mexico city. Definitely on the lower end in terms of cost, though San Miguel de Allende was surprisingly expensive in terms of real estate. It's also a relatively short flight down there from the US.

Back
Top Bottom