Inexpensive Mediterranean climate for retirement?

Been there for a month. Fabulous and inexpensive. Avoid Dubrovnik, Split and Zagreb to save money. There are many islands as well if you can handle that. We did an island cruise on a 38 passenger yacht and then rented a car and drove all the way north. Pula even has an intact colosseum. Tourists are mostly from eastern block up north. Krk is connected by causeway to the mainland. Everywhere else is a ferry ride away. 6 Kunas to the Euro.

Avoid Zagreb, really? If you don't like European cities, I guess, but we really loved it there. Zagreb is like a smaller version of a Western European capital without the crowds. And by that standard, it was quite cheap as well.

We're still traveling around quite a bit but Zagreb is the place we might use as a base for the six months a year we're not allowed in the Schengen zone.

Avoid Zagreb, really? If you don't like European cities, I guess, but we really loved it there. Zagreb is like a smaller version of a Western European capital without the crowds. And by that standard, it was quite cheap as well.

My interpretation of Keith's comment wasn't that he didn't like Zagreb, et al, but rather that, (for someone on a budget), there are less 'expensive' areas in Croatia that could be substituted...........but I could be wrong.

My interpretation of Keith's comment wasn't that he didn't like Zagreb, et al, but rather that, (for someone on a budget), there are less 'expensive' areas in Croatia that could be substituted...........but I could be wrong.
Yes we quite liked Zagreb. Spent a week there rather than hang around Pula. But Krk is a value leader with Adriatic views.

I'm lucky enough to still live here in Sonoma County. If you can swing the price of properties now, come on back! Like others, I've also thought about moving after retirement but still haven't found a place a nice as Sonoma.

Hi, I'm brand new to E-R. We'll be empty nesters in 2018 and anticipate retiring, downsizing and moving from our home in Virginia sometime after then. I'm originally from Sonoma County and desperately miss my dry CA summers without mosquitos, chiggers or AC. As much as I'd love to move back there, housing prices are crazy to the point where it just doesn't make economic sense until/unless the bubble pops.

Having said that, I would love to compile a list of suitable domestic or intl retirement destinations that have a Mediterranean climate and a low or moderate COL. I would prefer being within 30 miles of the coast so a far inland climate (with hotter summers) wouldn't be my first choice.

Looking forward to your responses!

Have you looked into San Luis Obispo? It's less expensive than the SF Bay Area and very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Have you looked into San Luis Obispo? It's less expensive than the SF Bay Area and very nice.

+1

Also cambria which is a bit to the north of slo

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

SLO is very nice. College town, perfect climate, pleasant downtown. But a long way from SF or LA. I think I'd like to be closer to an intl airport. But the central coast is definitely on our radar.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Next winter are planning a few months in South America. Want to look at Argentina, Chile, Peru, and Equador. We need a change from SE Asia and my understanding is that the cost of living/travel is reasonable. We hope to find out. Our Aeroplan points will get us one way there with only one stop in Houston. Coming back we will do JetBlue from Quito to FLL.

Back
Top Bottom