Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2019, 10:18 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
It is strange that USPS does not make it somewhat hard to sign up, and make it cost money payable only by credit card, so that they could at least rely on the credit card authenticating the person.

So if you were going to scam someone, first you would have to get their CC info, and at that point, is more scamming needed as you can shop or sell the CC info.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

I signed up yesterday (wasn’t aware of this service and appreciate the post).

I also wasn’t aware of an upcoming price increase in first-class stamps ($.50 to $.55) so picked up some forevers.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:42 AM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
It is strange that USPS does not make it somewhat hard to sign up, and make it cost money payable only by credit card, so that they could at least rely on the credit card authenticating the person.

So if you were going to scam someone, first you would have to get their CC info, and at that point, is more scamming needed as you can shop or sell the CC info.
I know some people have to go to the post office to set it up. Maybe it's easier to set up if you have a long standing USPS.com account that you have shipped through or ordered stamps, etc with?
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I signed up yesterday (wasn’t aware of this service and appreciate the post).

I also wasn’t aware of an upcoming price increase in first-class stamps ($.50 to $.55) so picked up some forevers.
Some years ago, I stocked up on stamps to avoid the price increase in future years.
I just checked my stash, and realized I have 1,500 stamps !! A lifetime supply.

As an investment it has worked out pretty well, over the past 10 years, the annualized increase in value has been 3% per year and it's tax free.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #125

Yesterday was the first day where I DIDN'T get essentially what was reported in the USPS email. I've had it for a year or more. I don't read the email every day, but most days. Yesterday I only had a delivery from Hong Kong...no flat envelopes at all, which is strange, so I looked, and I was supposed to get a few other things. I've decided not to check the "did not receive" box unless they don't show up on Monday.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

They certainly won't show up on Monday��..I feel safe saying your mailbox will be empty
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
They certainly won't show up on Monday��..I feel safe saying your mailbox will be empty
ha ha ha, I agree....

. it's MLK day
Old 01-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #128

Y'all got me!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The cluster mailbox is a half mile + away down a steep grade. On low activity days, informed delivery lets me decide whether or not a trip to the box will be worthwhile.
To googily's point, USPS contacted me with the enrollment offer through the email linked to my account. I just logged in with my credentials and agreed to the terms.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Does it allow you to tag the junk mail and not let it be delivered?
No, what's scanned is delivered (most of the time).
Old 01-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Some years ago, I stocked up on stamps to avoid the price increase in future years.
I just checked my stash, and realized I have 1,500 stamps !! A lifetime supply.

As an investment it has worked out pretty well, over the past 10 years, the annualized increase in value has been 3% per year and it's tax free.
Yeah - it's getting to where we might only use stamps once a year. And we still have a stash of old as well as forever stamps. So we have been putting a string of old stamps when needed - messy, but already paid for! I think we have enough stamps to last for the next two decades!!!

Maybe you should sell half your supply!
Old 01-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Have been using the Informed Delivery service for well over a year now (and at 3 addresses) and it has been great. I can think of only a couple of pieces of mail that I was expecting, but didn't arrive...but they were delivered within a day or two. Our new home has a large mailbox that will "drop" the mail into a secure bin underneath after it's delivered, so now I only get the mail once a week or so, unless something "important" is being delivered.

When we moved the last time, there was an authentication issue, but that was resolved by them sending me a confirmation number to the new address (that had been confirmed via CC). It was kinda odd that when I first went to change it, they asked the verification questions that you see on occasion (credit report questions, such as creditors, estimated payments, etc.) but not a single question had information that was pertinent to me...it was as though they used someone else's credit report to ask the questions.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

I signed up for this. A while back, using this service, I saw I had a letter coming from the IRS. Spent most of the day worrying about it, but it turned out to be nothing bad. A few other similar experiences after that and now I delete the emails without opening them. Maybe it will come in useful at some point but not so far.
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
The cluster mailbox is a half mile + away down a steep grade. On low activity days, informed delivery lets me decide whether or not a trip to the box will be worthwhile.

I like this aspect of it too. Also occasionally useful when expecting something perishable, then I know when it’s been delivered and should go down to the box.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
........... A while back, using this service, I saw I had a letter coming from the IRS. Spent most of the day worrying about it, but it turned out to be nothing bad. A few other similar experiences after that and now I delete the emails without opening them.........
This is a great strategy, but why stop at deleting the emails? Just throw away the letters, too. They can only bring bad news.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #136

Are people paying for this? I signed up, have been getting the e-mails but was not aware they were charging for it. I have a USPS account with a CC on file as I run a home hobby business and ship lots of stuff. I just logged into my CC account and didn't see any USPS charges.

I like the service. Pictures of all the junk mail that I am going to dump in the paper recycle bin later in the day...
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #137

There is no charge for this.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

This service at my street address is now confirmed (I asked to receive the verification code by paper mail, which didn’t take long).

Next up: a box located at the town post office that I opened prior to moving here (a really big help while in the process of moving and settling in). I didn’t realize you have to register separate USPS accounts to get Informed Delivery for two separate addresses (home and P.O. box), but that’s pretty painless.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

This service finally paid dividends for me this week in that I am able to skip my usual weekly trip into town to check my post office box. Already knew there was nothing of interest waiting!

Occasionally I receive an email that says there’s a piece of mail for which there’s no scanned image. I’m guessing, but don’t know for sure, that signals junk mail or similar.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Occasionally I receive an email that says there’s a piece of mail for which there’s no scanned image. I’m guessing, but don’t know for sure, that signals junk mail or similar.

In my experience, it’s non-first class junk mail, an item somewhat larger than about 6x6 inch (large envelope, catalog) or something that just got missed by the scanner. The latter doesn’t seem common.