Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Are you sure this is no longer a requirement?
I've been with USAA for about 40 years - a great company.

Originally you had to be an officer/former officer to belong. Over the years the eligibility has been loosened so that now all active duty, Reserve and Guard personnel of all grades are eligible. Veterans are also eligible; so are children of members. Anyone can use their banking and investment services and, I think, buy life insurance (but not auto or other casualty insurance.

A few years ago I comparison shopped GEICO auto insurance vs. USAA and found I could probably save some money with GEICO. But I stuck with USAA out of loyalty.

Note: a one-for-one comparison is not easy to make because USAA refunds money to you every year from your "Subscriber's Savings Account." Since they can't (or won't) tell you how much of what is placed in your SSA from auto insurance vs. homeowners, life, etc, it's virtually impossible to make an exact comparison.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

friar1610 thanks for the detailed clarification on USAA insurance. I spoke with USAA, and that is exactly what they told me.
kperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Their support of Health Care and Insurance Reform is one of the primary reasons that I keep my AARP membership!

They would probably fine you if you didn't buy a membership. That would be ok, right?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
.....No motel/hotel rep EVER asked to see my AARP membership card. Then I found out that I could get the same rates just by asking for a senior citizen discount.
Two of the four hotels that we have stayed at (and currently staying in one of them) has asked to see my AARP card at check-in (also both are in the same chain). The desk clerk said they couldn't give a senior discount without it. The other two hotels (a different chain) didn't ask to see it.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
A few years ago I comparison shopped GEICO auto insurance vs. USAA and found I could probably save some money with GEICO. But I stuck with USAA out of loyalty.
Probably a good move. My experience with GEICO is that they offer a low 'teaser' rate the first year to get your business then you'll start seeing 10-20% yearly increases. I am very happy with Progressive, I've not had any tickets or accidents and my rate has not changed in 5 years.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

I joined at 50 and have enjoyed the magazine ... good articles pertinent to our age group.

The discounts seem the same as AAA..... so no big deal there.

The politics.... well, it seems no two people can agree on anything in politics anymore.... but I do think AARP in general is an advocate for the average person over 50.

They do some good things: I volunteer each tax season for AARP Tax-Aide... a partnership of AARP with the IRS... to do income tax returns for people... mostly over 50 and mostly not high-income. They certainly aren't making money off of this.... the intent is only to help.

I'm turning 60 and the AARP/Aetna high deductible insurance is a better deal than any other alternatives.... much better. ( Car insurance is 4x what Geico is... so everything they offer isn't good.)

The membership is minimal.... to me, even with nothing else, it would be worth it for the magazine.

... just my 2 cents.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

12 years ago they sent me the crap on joining. I was only 48, and so for a joke sent in the $12 to join--figured they'd have to return my check. Nope--I became a member at 48----do like the magazines, etc., and figure they do swing a lot of political clout.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Before going with any insurance, get competitive offers. USAA is not the company it was. Do your research. It is a royal PIA, and much easier to stand pat, but I am pretty sure that we are going elsewhere for home and auto. They have been very difficult to deal with. I have over 20 years experience with them, and it is just time to go. We will look at GEICO and State Farm. Any others I should look at in NJ?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
We will look at GEICO and State Farm. Any others I should look at in NJ?
I don't know if they extend coverage as far as NJ, but if so it would be worth checking Erie. I've had auto and homeowner's with them for many years and have been very happy.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Before going with any insurance, get competitive offers. USAA is not the company it was. Do your research. It is a royal PIA, and much easier to stand pat, but I am pretty sure that we are going elsewhere for home and auto. They have been very difficult to deal with. I have over 20 years experience with them, and it is just time to go. We will look at GEICO and State Farm. Any others I should look at in NJ?
Before you leave them, really do your homework. If you think USAA difficult, wait til you are dealing with someone else... While I have no direct dealing with other insurers, I have heard plenty of stories and have seen what neighbors were put through with other insurers. Last year Decatur was hit with a severe hail storm, literally every home in our neighborhood had moderate to severe hail damage on the roof. I called USAA and they had an appraiser on site within 48 hrs, his estimate was low based on the three estimates for repairs I had, I faxed him copies and he increased his estimate for replacing the shingles accordingly. I have neighbors that are still dealing with their insurance companies.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #31

I have had State Farm insurance for both home and vehicles for more than 30 years and have never had any reason to complain. They have always paid off on any claims in a prompt and fair manner, and, no, I do not work for them.

Shortly after being hired by DoD in 1982 I applied for auto insurance from GEICO, they were then the Government Employees Insurance Corp. They turned me down saying my driving record was not good enough. My record was perfectly clean and in my 63 years have had one ticket for speeding in 1976. What GEICO was apparently unaware of is that in North Dakota the state has to notify the individual if anyone gets their driving record. I was never notified by the state so as far as I know GEICO never asked for my driving record. At the time I was 35 years old and driving a high horse power sports car, I assume that is the real reason I was turned down.