Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2018, 05:41 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
It's not very clear I think, but you are correct, you can work and live in any EU country. Seems that you just need to carry your passport if you're not part of Schengen and you're entering from outside. Once you're inside the Schengen area you never need your passport.

Working in the EU

"As a European Union (EU) citizen, you have the right to live and work in any other EU country. If you are an EU national or a dependant of such a national and you meet the requirements of the EU Directives on free movement of workers, you may not, in general, be refused permission to land in another EU country. You may require a valid identity card or passport."
Thanks. Still valuable I guess but I'm too lazy to dig up the documentation.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2018, 06:25 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=bmcgonig;2038978]It's not very clear I think, but you are correct, you can work and live in any EU country. Seems that you just need to carry your passport if you're not part of Schengen and you're entering from outside. Once you're inside the Schengen area you never need your passport.

Just a note of caution: I was travelling from Austria to Germany in January 2018. We were stopped at the border in a random check and needed passports, drivers license, rental car papers, etc. I don't suggest you cross borders in Europe without a passport.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyS View Post
Just a note of caution: I was travelling from Austria to Germany in January 2018. We were stopped at the border in a random check and needed passports, drivers license, rental car papers, etc. I don't suggest you cross borders in Europe without a passport.
Good advice, you can always be subject to a passport check even without leaving the country you are in. We have had to show our passports 3 times while never leaving the USA. Twice on driving trips to Big Bend National Park and once in 2015 while driving on I-10 to California from Houston. (They diverted the whole of the westbound I-10 traffic to a border control checkpoint).
Old 04-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
To me the benefit always seemed to be an EU passport. I thought that would allow you to live and work anywhere in the EU - not just Ireland. If you had dreams of moving to a little town in Italy or France, your dual citizenship would pave the way. But, bmcgonig just pointed out that Ireland is not under the Schengen agreement so I guess the Irish passport is not such a valuable ticket.

You are confusing a border control agreement with the separate rights of EU citizens. To travel from Ireland to a Schengen country you need to show your passport to show that you are an EU citizen (and not from somewhere else) to gain access. Your rights as an EU citizen is separate. You have the right to live and work in any EU country, including all Schengen.
spikeykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

As one of (I guess) the few on here who actually live in Ireland ... I cannot imagine why anyone would want to retire to here ?

Weather weather .... and weather , would be the main reason.
Having lived for 5 + years in a warm climate (India and Brazil) ... my preference would be for somewhere drier !!

I started doing a garden project last August ... planned for about two weeks work. Got one of them done , ground has not been dry enough since to get the 2nd week completed ... think about that !

Usual story ... if you live somewhere cold ... you will "dream" about living somewhere warm , and visa versa , and wet vs dry ... and and and.....

Answer : ? Spend part of the yr in A and part in B.
Cortina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone who has an Irish-born parent is by birthright an Irish citizen, no matter where one is born. One can claim that citizenship by applying for an Irish (EU) passport at any Irish consulate. Youíll need a copy of one parentís birth certificate, your birth certificate, and other documents. It costs about $150 US.

One can also claim Irish citizenship if oneís grandparents were born in Ireland. This also allows one to an EU passport. I believe Italy is the only other European country (maybe Holland) that allows this. Iíve heard the EU wants to standardize this so this right may be repealed.

Once you have an Irish (EU) passport, you need to establish residency in Ireland for six months to obtain many citizen rights.

Tags
abroad, ireland, overseas