Join Early Retirement Today

Is 80 the new 60? 'It's the triumph of aging' — but not for everyone
Old 08-08-2022, 11:27 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Is 80 the new 60? 'It's the triumph of aging' — but not for everyone

From the National Post in Canada. It's nothing that hasn't been discussed before - healthy choices with nutrition, weight, and exercise - but it's still encouraging none the less.

Keep doing the right things and maybe you will be lucky. I've already outlived both my parents by >10 years, but they lived tough lives with poor choices. There is some value to negative examples.

"... Make it to 65 in Canada today, and you can expect about 20 years of life expectancy ahead of you, Sinha said. “The good news is fewer numbers of those extra years are going to be spent in poor health. Things that would have killed us decades ago like a heart attack or stroke — now I’ve had people who’ve had multiple heart attacks and strokes and are still ticking along and you’re like, ‘wow,’ because of the advent of medical science.”
https://nationalpost.com/news/is-80-really-the-new-60
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2022, 11:39 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd say yes, and no. People are living longer than in the past, but I'm not so sure they're living longer, healthier. I don't think the average 70 year old of today is any healthier than the average 70 year old of 20-30 years ago, or before that even. Or pick any age, if you like, I just threw 70 out there as an example. The difference is that there are more people that age than in the past. We don't have the infant/childhood mortality we used to, less dangerous jobs, etc. And diseases that used to kill you, you can now live with, albeit possibly at a diminished level of health.

But, overall, the human body is only designed to last for so long, and will start to slow down and wear out, and fall apart, eventually.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

You are what you eat. Most people show it.

Bill Maher had an interesting monologue recently. Titled "Fat Acceptance". You can find it on YouTube. He was pretty blunt.

I agree that medicine can keep you upright longer, but I don't see much "health" in 60s, 70s. More like "getting by".
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:05 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I'd say yes, and no. People are living longer than in the past, but I'm not so sure they're living longer, healthier. I don't think the average 70 year old of today is any healthier than the average 70 year old of 20-30 years ago, or before that even. Or pick any age, if you like, I just threw 70 out there as an example. The difference is that there are more people that age than in the past. We don't have the infant/childhood mortality we used to, less dangerous jobs, etc. And diseases that used to kill you, you can now live with, albeit possibly at a diminished level of health.

But, overall, the human body is only designed to last for so long, and will start to slow down and wear out, and fall apart, eventually.
I agree with all of what you said.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
I agree that medicine can keep you upright longer, but I don't see much "health" in 60s, 70s. More like "getting by".
I don't believe that at all. I'll be 79 in couple of months and I am as active and fit as when I was 55. My golf game is as good as it was 15 years ago (play twice per week), I walk 8 - 10 thousand steps per day, eat right, etc. I have no serious health issues and only take one med for BHP and that issue can be corrected with a simple surgery.

My group of friends are all over 65 and we are a very active group. Sure, there are folks who are over 65 and are leading a sedentary life style, but that is mostly by choice.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I am age 70 and in great shape, no major health issues, take no prescriptions, still playing golf and walking the course, I dance 3 times a week, go hiking, etc. I compare myself to my parents, inlaws, grandparents at age 70 and there is a huge difference in my activlty level and healthiness. I am just about the same as I was at age 55 and so are most of my friends. For those of us who eat right, stay a good weight and get plenty of exercise, I agree that 70 is the new 55.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:36 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I don't believe that at all. I'll be 79 in couple of months and I am as active and fit as when I was 55. My golf game is a s good (play twice per week), I walk 8 - 10 thousand steps per day, eat right, etc. I have no serious health issues and only take one med for BHP and that issue can be corrected with a simple surgery.

My group of friends are all over 65 and we are a very active group. Sure, there are folks who are over 65 and are leading a sedentary life style, but that is mostly by choice.
Excellent work. I still think you and your friends are the "exceptions" and do not represent the majority.

But, in the end, only YOU matter to you. What I observe "in masse" is not very good.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Excellent work. I still think you and your friends are the "exceptions" and do not represent the majority.

But, in the end, only YOU matter to you. What I observe "in masse" is not very good.
Where are you seeing these "masses" of people in their 70s not in good shape? At the Walmart? Look instead at the fitness centers, golf courses , dance venues, etc and see 70 plus people in good shape. Or maybe you don't recognize us, maybe the active good looking people you think are 55 are actually 70.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I'm surprised there are so many guys and gals in their 70's who are fit and healthy. Once I retired and started making new friends, I found that age group to be prolific. I'm sure there are great numbers of others not as fortunate, but most are not seen.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Where are you seeing these "masses" of people in their 70s not in good shape? At the Walmart? Look instead at the fitness centers, golf courses , dance venues, etc and see 70 plus people in good shape. Or maybe you don't recognize us, maybe the active good looking people you think are 55 are actually 70.
Hook up apps...lots of 70 year olds lying and saying they're 55?
Old 08-08-2022, 12:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

So there is this great segment in an episode of Derek (Ricky Gervais is working in a retirement home).

Some of the retirees get in a conversation when Hannah (iirc) is talking about 60 is the new 50. One says, oh, so then 70 is the new 60. A really older guy says what about 80? Hannah replies "No, 80 is still 80"

lol
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Going to a fitness center or golf course and seeing a bunch of healthy 70 year olds is like going to the National DeSoto Club's annual convention, and remarking at how many DeSotos are still around. Survivor bias. You're not seeing all the ones that fell by the wayside years or even decades ago, or the ones that are parked in a field or someone's back yard, slowly wasting away.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:50 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
So there is this great segment in an episode of Derek (Ricky Gervais is working in a retirement home).

Some of the retirees get in a conversation when Hannah (iirc) is talking about 60 is the new 50. One says, oh, so then 70 is the new 60. A really older guy says what about 80? Hannah replies "No, 80 is still 80"

lol
LOL
Old 08-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Going to a fitness center or golf course and seeing a bunch of healthy 70 year olds is like going to the National DeSoto Club's annual convention, and remarking at how many DeSotos are still around. Survivor bias. You're not seeing all the ones that fell by the wayside years or even decades ago, or the ones that are parked in a field or someone's back yard, slowly wasting away.
Not so in my group of friends. There are about 20 of us who are 70 plus and all of us are still active and in good shape. I only know of one person in that group who has died and that person died of Covid (before the vaccine was available). No one in my group of friends ever smoked, all of us drink and eat moderately and get plenty of exercise so I am sure that has something to do with it.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
I'm shocked at how many people in my Jeep club drive Jeep's. It's amazing. Are you trying to tell me that the average age of a car isn't 39 years old? BTW I drive a 1983 CJ8 Scrambler.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You are what you eat. Most people show it.

Bill Maher had an interesting monologue recently. Titled "Fat Acceptance". You can find it on YouTube. He was pretty blunt.

I just watched that yesterday and I agree with everything he said.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:23 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

No offense to anyone but let's be honest...if you're still doing the same things in your late 70's that you were doing at 55 then you weren't really doing all that much at 55.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:27 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have had 4 neighbors die in their mid to upper 70's in the last 2 years. None of them were overweight or had particularly bad lifestyle habits that i'm aware of. I have at least 3 family members who are in their 70's who are not likely to make it to their 80's. Seems there are at least as many people who die in their 60's and 70's as there are who make it past that. In most cases I have seen, people who live to their 80's+ don't live a very good life, they just exist. Obviously there are exceptions but I think that is the case more often than not.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:28 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
No offense to anyone but let's be honest...if you're still doing the same things in your late 70's that you were doing at 55 then you weren't really doing all that much at 55.
Most of us were still working full (++) time at 55! We only had the weekends to do anything else.

Oh, I was still LD running at 55 and by 65 needed a hip replacement. Got the second one at 76 years old. That actually got my golf game back on track.. No running anymore (per the hip surgeon), but OK to do anything else.

You are right though, no more climbing trees to trim them or installing roofing.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:31 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

On my mom's side, everyone was thin and lived into late 80s or 90 s. Unfortunately, they all got dementia. I'd far rather die early.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
healthy aging