Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Is anyone worried about the state of this country?
Old 03-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Semper Fi
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2006, 11:18 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

mark, nords jarhead, that is what makes you guys the laughing stock of the world, you actually believe that crap.

You forget about Americans buying Canadian Passport Jackets for their own as they were afraid to travel,or putting the Maple Leaf on their back packs to get rides in Europe and maybe some of you could please define an American?

Is that an Immigrant who arrived before the last Immigrant, or are you like the French where only certain Immigrants can be defined as French??

Obnoxious and Inflammatory, I suggest you guys read your own posts, and I am mindful of the Moderator, who may or may not have a particular bias??

Even funnier, my Anglo-Irish accent causes most Americans to guess my accent as being from Boston(my favourite US city).

I would suggest before this gets nasty, we change the subject matter although as much as the Australians define themselves by not being English, nothing wrong with defining yourself by not being American.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
mark, nords jarhead, that is what makes you guys the laughing stock of the world, you actually believe that crap.
It's like reading Hyperborea all over again. Gosh, Max, when I get to be your age I hope I'm not as old as you are.

Good talking with ya, you have a nice life now.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:57 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quite simply howard (I refuse to use your pseudonyms, and doesnt this board have a policy against users with multiple login accounts?), your little country wouldnt exist (or at best would be a wasteland of fishermen and drunks) if you didnt live in the shadow of the united states military. We'd rather not have had the soviets living in our back yard during the cold war. Canada has had the benefit of using their money socially, rather than maintaining a real military presence to protect their own soil. But we do let them polish our tanks when we all go to war...

Furthermore, almost everything you've said is either wrong, or irrelevant. While I'm less than pleased with some of the things my country does, and I'm aware that our leader is a frickin moron, I dont have to listen to some fake haired blowhard like you about it.

With that in mind...

Now, my story begins in 19-dickety-two. We had to say "dickety" 'cause that Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles...What're you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem! I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet. Stop your snickerin'! I spent three years on that terlet! So, we sealed up the paintings knowing only one of us would ever look upon them again. Ox was the first to go; he got a hernia carrying the crate out of the castle. Five more men died in the Veteran's Day float disaster of '79. Now, with Asa gone, it's down to me and Burns. But three wars back we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" and we called liberty cabbage "super slaw" and back then a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunch box." Of course, nobody knew that but me. Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

My, my. Max and I really stirred the pot, eh? No worries, Nords. This tempest is actually pretty tame compared to flames on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forums.

Now, back to the flames! I have my misgivings and criticisms of the US government. There have been many sins that give me anguish, but I don't have to resort to revisionist history to do so. The facts are hard enough. I also have criticisms of the Canadian government, by the way. As a resident and taxpayer, it is my right, but I mostly keep it to myself. (Not polite, y'know?)

Regardless, I am proud to be a stakeholder in both countries and I appreciate things about each that the natives sometimes miss. That's the great thing about travel. You get new eyes.

Normally, I don't get into political disputes in any country and I really don't think this forum is a good place for them.

Dang. CFB got into the Merlot a little early today, didn't he?
Old 03-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
My, my.* Max and I really stirred the pot, eh?* ** No worries, Nords.
You're cool, Ed. You actually discuss topics other than pro-Canadian & anti-U.S. (I'm going to presume those are two different categories) without feeling the need to delete posts or change identities!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Hey howie...did you know theres a headshot of you available on the internet?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:20 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Sorry Ed, just on coffee right now. And dont mind the rhetoric, i'm half candian myself...the half that isnt like our stuffed shirt troll.

Later on, when I break out the merlot (and how did you know what the box in my kitchen says? :laugh) there'll be some better stuff.

I just bought a full bag of onions. The nice white ones.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:27 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Nords,

Jes' following your lead, big guy.

Sometimes I get tired of trying to behave like an adult when everybody else doesn't have to. Then I hear my dad's voice telling me not to do something stupid. Sometimes I listen.

CFB wrote,
Quote:
Later on, when I break out the merlot (and how did you know what the box in my kitchen says? :laugh) there'll be some better stuff.
I hope it's better than the stuff I poured into the sink last night. Back to the cab for me.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I'm on to the guiness I bought on sale in bulk the day after st pattys day...starting to get too warm around here during the evenings for wine.

Combined with those white onions, should be a heck of a time.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:30 PM   #71

Howard!

Shut the f*ck up!
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Howard!

Shut the f*ck up!
Why?
bermondsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

For the life of me, why are some of you people so bloody ultra sensitive of any criticism, even put in the mildest of terms, about the Americans. From what I have read above nobody is taking potshots at Americans per se but more so being critical of their administration. So what's the problem?

Thank the lawd, I see that sort of commentary everyday on some US TV channels.

I am a Briton but don't care for Tony Blair. Does that make me anti-British?

Get real folks!

Old 03-25-2006, 01:59 PM   #74

Because we're guests here. Mike and Howard are doing the same thing that got them banned from "The Wealthy Boomer" and "The Financial Webring".
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:02 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Because we're guests here Mike and Howard is doing the same thing that got him banned from "The Wealthy Boomer" and "The Financial Webring".
Zipper .. you are half right. I was only declared 'persona non grata' at one site. Not both.

I now post at both, under my name 'mike'.

As for being 'guests', well that could be said of any poster, at any site, in any country.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2005 - Troll of the year - Marketneutral

2006 - Troll of the year - starting to see some candidates
Old 03-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I'd be happy to take a dump on Bush's head if I were given the opportunity. If it were Cheney, I'd be aiming for his mouth.

But let's at least be civil here, guys.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:24 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Personally, I'd be happy to take a dump on Bush's head if I were given the opportunity. If it were Cheney, I'd be aiming for his mouth.

But let's at least be civil here, guys.
I will wisely refrain from commenting on your sentiments since I would risk being labeled anti-American, or worse still, a troll. As to being civil, well I don't see a problem. So far eveybody on this thread has been well behaved.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-1
So far eveybody on this thread has been well behaved.
mike-1, after unregistering on the forum a few weeks back did you decide to return and re-register so you could change that? Here is what you said before you left last time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-1 on February 25, 2006, 04:54:46 PM
If somehow I don't meet your personal exacting standards or expectations as to how one is supposed to conduct oneself at a forum well that is lamentable but there is really nothing I, or you, can do to change that.
Just to be sure you haven't forgotten, in response to your post above and to your general conduct you were informed that was what moderators were for [doing something about it] and that if your behavior was deemed offensive, your text would be edited or deleted. Repetitive offenses are met with blocking IP addresses.

Now make your mother proud of you...
Old 03-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-1
So far eveybody on this thread has been well behaved.
I can change that...