Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Is early retirement unhealthy?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I intend to live healthy even before retirement.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2005, 02:06 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

sorry, Bob, for misquote. "for they hang suspended."
Old 11-20-2005, 10:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Well, you can't die early, so rock on!!

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:36 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Retirement can be unhealthy, if you retire and sit on your a**, watch a lot of daytime tv, disengage from exercise, both mental and physical, with the highlight of your day being the meals.

OTOH, if you find interest(s), projects, learn new stuff, travel, exercise, volunteer, engage with lots of other people, and turn the damn tv off, it's probably a lot healthier than the artificial stress of job deadlines and meaningless job goals. Afterall, Monday morning used to be the day at MegaCorp, about 9 a.m., when you would see the medics taking the heart attack victim to the ambulance.
I was just thinking along these lines, Eagle!

I think one of the keys for healthy ERs is to keep busy, have projects, etc. I think people often confuse retirement with lack of activity (mental, physical, etc.). I think this comes from the idea of grey retirement at 65++ which may be much more like that.

Those who FIRE in their 50s are likely to have many more years where they want to be involved and travel and explore. Whereas 65 y.o. retirees may travel only 5 years, those who retire at 55 may well have 15 years of exciting travel & exploration ahead of them.

Very different scenario I think.

Petey
peteyperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyperson

I think one of the keys for healthy ERs is to keep busy, have projects, etc. I think people often confuse retirement with lack of activity (mental, physical, etc.). I think this comes from the idea of grey retirement at 65++ which may be much more like that.

Those who FIRE in their 50s are likely to have many more years where they want to be involved and travel and explore. Whereas 65 y.o. retirees may travel only 5 years, those who retire at 55 may well have 15 years of exciting travel & exploration ahead of them.

Very different scenario I think.

Petey
Here's an observation from the far side of 60. In my case, as some
activities have been discarded, I have taken on a "What the hell,
I'll be gone soon enough" attitude. This, in turn, has caused me to
go ahead and take some chances (travel, exploring, financial, romance, etc)
that I might not otherwise have taken. This attitude
(do it today) has helped me offset the loss of some favorite
avocations from pre-ER days.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyperson

Petey: I mostly participate in this board (and post very sparingly) for the entertainment value, and enjoy hearing how younger people think. (My two children are older than you).

Commenting purely on the physical side of your statement, (which has obvious carry-over benefits as you get older), I would suggest to you that your attitude towards staying "active" begins far sooner than the day you retire.

What are you doing now to form good activities that will carry over into retirement?

At the expense of "boring hell" out of posters on my personal life story, I don't know any other way to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Starting with playing 4 sports in high school, and a 4 year hitch in the Marine Corps, I set myself up for a lifetime of playing & coaching sports.

When I retired almost 20 years ago, (I'll be 70 on my next birthday), I moved to the Sierras in No. Calif., where I could pursue fly-fishing, golfing, and close enough to a college town where I could play hand-ball.

I mainly wanted to comment because of your suggestion that there is a "grey retirement after 65".

For me personally, the most depressing thing I could think of is living in Florida, and waiting for the "blue plate special" to be served.

If you aspire to have an active retirement as you get older, lay the groundwork now, and get interested in a sport or two that you can carry-over into retirement. If you intend on staying competitive in any sport, the work-outs to do so, will become automatic.

Boy, these old pharts can really get worked up

Old 11-21-2005, 08:52 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead

Boy, these old pharts can really get worked up
Better ease off on the wheat bread...

Old 11-21-2005, 09:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Better ease off on the wheat bread...

ReWahoo: You better hope I don't leave this board, because who else feeds you better
lines?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:28 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ReWahoo: You better hope I don't leave this board, because who else feeds you better
lines?
Jarhead, you Da Man!

Now tee me up another one, please...

Old 11-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #30

There are some valid points in the study, the fact that everyday is Saturday, creates problems.

We searched for about 5 years, found a small communitythat offered access to local Health Care(very important), plus it was in the middle of an area that offered the full range of activities , from boating to fishing to skiing to golfing to hiking, and for most ,the cost of admissions is the shoes needed.

Many of our new neighbours ski daily( we don't, we are walkers and Bird Watchers), these neighbours are late 70's , early 80's.

Use it or lose it is very true, in the city the options are limited, plus we were able to save some ca$h on buying the new home(which we planned and had built).

Golf Courses abound, more being added, we may have to learn.?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #31

Quote:

For me personally, the most depressing thing I could think of is living in Florida, and waiting for the "blue plate special" to be served.
Now that is a precise comment. Right on, Jarhead! I saw 'em, and it's depressing. Exactly what my attitude is; hope to be the most physically active old-phart I can be.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:09 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

One never knows what will happen. I like working physicaly, gardening, tending live stock, gathering and chopping wood, repairing things, cooking, canning, walking, so forth and so on. I also enjoy a good nap and a good book.

My idea is to stay active, involved and mentally alert by using what I have (left). I lived in a retirement town a few years ago and those who stayed active seemed happier and were more pleasant be around.

Sooner or later the body begins to wear out or some problem comes along; you decline and die. It is what you do between now and then that matters. Life is a feast, enjoy* * *
Old 12-03-2005, 02:32 AM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

It is not unhealthy if you know what you want to do with your time/life. We are both in our early 40's and I think we can have much more fun now than 10 years later. We play family tennis and golf with our son. We travel a lot (during school holiday). I have more time for myself since my half help out with the house work.

We might not be able to spend as much money as we used to. But I think we do enjoy it this way much better.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:34 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550
According to a study published in the British Medical Journal, retiring early (at 55 vs 60+) results in earlier death....

http://seniorhealth.about.com/b/a/212586.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
That's one risk I will be happy to take.* For some of us, an additional 5 years of work isn't necessarily considered 5 years of "living". :P

I just FIRE'd at 48 and I feel better already getting off the merry-go-round...made me dizzy. Having the time of my life...doing whatever, whenever and with whomever on my terms, not megacorp's, is true freedom. I feel healthier already...less stressed out...and even driving in the slow lane (may add years to my life and even save me on my car insurance )watching all those po' folks rushing (no more gap shooters to deal with on the freeway!) and trying to squeeze more time out of the day for the really important stuff, even though we all have only 24 hours a day to allocate how we see best serves our needs.

Live life to the fullest...this is no dress rehearsal!!!
acg is offline   Reply With Quote