Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Laws in my city "On weekdays between 8 AM and 7 PM or sunset (whichever is later)
On weekends and New York State and Federal Holidays between 9 AM and 6 PM or sunset (whichever is later).

You are 30 minutes fairer than my law is. Ill call you if there is a for sale sign
In my village in New York State (Long Island), we have noise bans before 8 AM on weekdays and 9 AM on weekends, too.

Many years ago, I had to battle the landscaping company which liked to start work at 7:30 AM with their leaf blowers and weed whackers. Our co-op's Managing Agent was telling them not to start until 8 AM but they often ignored them. One Sunday night, after getting a letter from my MA telling me they had told the landscapers not to start before 8 AM, I went out and stuck signs on the shrubs telling them not to break local laws. My co-op's super saw the signs and got pissed at me, until I showed him that letter. He ran off with his tail between his legs.

That was over 10 years ago, and there have been sporadic problems with the landscapers but now they don't appear near my building until the afternoon. It's still somewhat annoying but at least they don't wake me up any more.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 06:55 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here in Switzerland, Sundays are rest days for families. By law, no retail stores open, cannot make too much noise in your garden, no lawn mowing, no car washing, etc. Bliss.

-BB
Old 09-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
WARNING!!! This is a little bit of a rant...you have been warned!

I was up this Sunday AM about 7:30 and have been enjoying some coffee and the local paper out on the deck as the weather is beautiful. But, that peace was destroyed at 8:30 when some jackwagon decided it was a great idea to break out his leaf blower and go to town.
Jackwagon is my new favorite word!
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I feel your pain! One of my greatest pet peeves is the "nails on chalkboard" sound of a nearby leaf blower that goes on and on and on... and on.

However, in my neighborhood, the scourge of ear-splitting power landscaping tools is far worse on weekdays than weekends. This is due to the nearly ubiquitous use of professional lawn maintenance services by my neighbors. Every single one of my adjacent and across-the-street neighbors uses these companies to handle their yard work, and they often show up like a plague of locusts on weekday mornings during the spring, summer, and fall to conduct their jarring, cacophonous weed whacking and leaf-blowing sessions. They rarely start before about 8:30am, but a few times I've been woken up by the grating, whirring, buzzing noises from h*ll as early as 7:00. In my book, they are truly one of the worst aspects of living in suburbia.
We do have the weekday yard work, but those dudes are efficient! Most of the lots in the 'hood are 3/4 to about an acre and they can have a yard cut, bagged, trimmed and blown in about 30 minutes..it's really amazing how fast they are. But the average Joe...well, they aren't as efficient.

And I am happy to report that I thoroughly enjoyed my coffee and paper this morning...nice and quiet. Happy Monday, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
It's NFL Sunday, you should be indoors behind that double pane glass
Yeah, I don't think so. I think I would rather have a root canal than watch an NFL game.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
Here in Switzerland, Sundays are rest days for families. By law, no retail stores open, cannot make too much noise in your garden, no lawn mowing, no car washing, etc. Bliss.

-BB
+1 on this. It's fascinating that in Europe, it seems that the most secular of states seem to have done the best job of protecting the weekly day of rest. I have become entirely enamored with the European concept of Sunday in just my few trips to the Continent.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post

-BB
I really appreciate that weekly "rest day" when I am in Geneva. In practice, I have never heard of someone getting fined for running their lawnmower on a Sunday (even the cops take it easy on Sunday), but the neighbors will definitely voice their displeasure.

Sunday mornings are pretty quiet in my bible belt neighborhood since most everyone is at church. But Sunday afternoon gets really noisy...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote