Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Is that all there is?
Old 04-22-2005, 06:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Time to head to TX?
JG, come on down. It got up to 90 here in the Hill Country today. I killed a 4-foot rattler in my driveway this morning.

Springtime in South Texas...Gotta Love it!

REW
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2005, 06:43 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Texas has been on my mind lately. Could be just what I need to snap me out of my funk.

They say it may snow here tonight. It's almost May
for gosh sake. Where are we........Minnesota?

JG

MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:23 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I killed a 4-foot rattler in my driveway this morning.
What type of reptilicide does one use in this situation? Or should I say, what caliber?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:58 AM   #24

Quote:
What type of reptilicide does one use in this situation? Or should I say, what caliber?
Twelve gague was my initial selection, but I quickly discovered I need to improve my time on removing the gun lock and loading (new twist to the phrase "lock and load"). So I settled for a very long shovel, and found I had absolutely no urge to choke the handle before I took a swing.

REW
Old 04-23-2005, 03:42 AM   #25

Fangs for the report. Apparently you didn't get rattled.

JG
Old 04-23-2005, 03:51 AM   #26

JG

We all have some snakes to kill. My truck sounds like your jeep! Outside hinge pin rusted solid. Asked Bubba at the gas station about it. Bubba said you gotta buy a complete hinge from the dealer. I said bull%^&*. I figured I'd drill out the pin and put in a carriage bolt or something. Three hours later I was up to my ankles in spent drill bits, burned up the drill, heart pounding like a bastard, and I'd only drilled down a tad past the first hinge joint. Took a hammer and banged a bolt down in part way....bottom line I seldom use that door anymore. Your approach has merit. Why risk the heart attack? Sorry to hear about your buddy's dad.

Mom selling Avon at 85? God bless her. Theres got to be a novel there.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:31 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Great Topic...
I have found the simple things, if done well, to be an adventure.

But the issue raised is an important one. What will the last chapters of your story be filled with? For me the adventure includes helping others. I lost my parents when I was a child, so I am most likely easy to figure out as to my charitable inclinations. My spouse and I have been traveling and helping out at an orphanage in Russia for about five years. Its small things, such as sending clothes, helping with placements with decent families, and we travel to the region about once a year. I know there are so many on this board that do good, and each of us has the capacity for personal growth each day.

I have found more about life and living that I would have ever believed possible in doing such simple things for these kids. I have reflected that what I do with my life is only important if, long after I am gone, there is something simple and good that results.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:38 PM   #28

I agree LEX. Most of us won't do what you have, but a good start on leaving a positive legacy would be your
own children. Mine are all adults now, but they are
always uppermost in my thoughts even though they
may not know it.

JG
Old 04-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

JG:

I have my own kids, and they are very well loved. *In the independence of ER, the great advantage is being able to find something that elevates your life. *I can sure appreciate being able to surf a 12 footer, run a marathon, bike across England as part of the options. *In reflective moments, I know that what good we do is what truly remains.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #30

Quote:

JG, come on down. It got up to 90 here in the Hill Country today. I killed a 4-foot rattler in my driveway this morning.

Springtime in South Texas...Gotta Love it!

REW
So REW,

What happened to the snake skin? Hat band? Belt trim? Key chain? Thong for DW :
Old 04-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #31

Quote:

So REW,

Actually, I was planning to fry him up (tastes just like chicken) and use the skin to make a one-of-a-kind pocket protector for my last month at work. Unfortunately, by the time I got home at the end of the day the 90 degree heat had taken its toll. All I ended up with was the rattle.

Photo to follow...

REW
Old 04-24-2005, 05:58 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

So REW,

LOL! This and REW's comment about the heat leaving him with a rattle just crack me up! I would tip my hat to any woman who would wear a thong made of THAT! Be afraid of her though, since she must either be a S&M Dominatrix or a female WWE wrestler (is that redundant?)!!!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:04 PM   #33

Quote:
... she must either be a S&M Dominatrix or a female WWE wrestler (is that redundant?)!!!
lawrencewill, no way DW would qualify as either of the above. I had to do some serious persuasion just to get her to come out of the house and take a look. She was really spooked by the thought she had walked by that same spot 10 minutes prior to my discovery.

REW

Old 04-27-2005, 05:07 PM   #34

As promised....

OK, so it wasn't quite 4ft, only 3' 9".

And back to the subject of this thread, I sure hope so.

REW
Old 04-27-2005, 05:51 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That baby is big enough to cause a lot of hurt. Good job!

Mikey
Old 04-27-2005, 06:52 PM   #36

CT,

I agree your snake is "harmless" and no, I don't like any of them either. I don't usually try to eliminate the non-lethal variety but do give them a wide berth.

Guess I would describe mine as a financial planner and yours as a "fee only" financial planner.

REW
Old 04-27-2005, 06:54 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hard to tell from that angle. The basic rule of thumb is if the head is larger than the main body, its likely a rattler...smooth from the neck through the head, its likely not.

You'll see from REW's post the slim neck and large diamond shaped head...your shot looks like a head the same size as the body but its at a funny angle.

Oddly, I live in an area supposedly infested with rattlers and have never seen one once in 12 years.

REW...I hope those are not your legs
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:00 PM   #38

Quote:
REW...I hope those are not your legs
Why? You got some sort of a problem with my legs?

REW
Old 04-27-2005, 08:15 PM   #39

Quote:
These things give me the creeps. I did take this picture of one out in Montana. I think it was a harmless Bull snake or gopher snake unless another forum expert can set me straight. Still gave me the creeps though!

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/sub...ullsnake.shtml

I see a lot of these guys on my normal outings. As long as I can see them, I'm okay with them. But the gopher snake (or bull snake) has this un-nerving habit of imitating rattlesnakes. I really don't like rattlesnakes.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:57 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sigh. I love deserts -- the farther from civilization the better -- and I guess I've seen rattlesnakes about 15 - 20 times whilst backpacking. I've never been menaced by one yet -- they generally stay out of your way unless you do something silly like try to pick them up (yes, people do that!) They're actually very interesting creatures -- so beautifully suited to their environment.

I remember seeing a huge one next to the trail in Zion National Park. He just relaxed under his rock and watched the clueless tourists go by about 5 feet away - no muss, no fuss. Another time we found a sidewinder curled up under a bush near our campsite down in the Mojave. He was in the same place two days later when we left -- I guess he'd eaten before we got there and was sleeping it off.

I suppose I'd want one removed from under my house , but other than that, it's live and let live for me.

Just one word to the wise -- if you kill all the ones near your house that rattle to warn you (and that's GENERALLY how you know they're there), then you the ones that aren't inclined to rattle before striking are the only ones left to reproduce.

Caroline

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote