Is there any J*b you would stay for?

Attachments

• No.png
    No.png
    94 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: W2R
I mentor new teachers. I go to school 2-3 days/mo., on my own schedule. This year I worked with 4, next year it will be 5: am paid my old daily rate on the faculty salary schedule.

It's been fun, a pleasant surprise (since I thought I was all done with school).

Now, if I were any good (and am not) I'd stay on if they were hiring tap dancers or star gazers.........but they're not hiring.

So, I'll have to do those things for free.

:dance:

Once FIRE'd, the only job I'd take on would be one where I'm the boss/owner/founder/president/CEO/etc and it's my way or the highway. I would never again work for somebody else. Never.

I would definitely keep my current job I have if it was located in the place we are ER'ing to. I'm pretty sure I'll miss it as there were so many good things about the job with only a dash of BS.

But such is the decisions one has to make in life. :)

To answer the OP : no.

To Meadbh : please can you elaborate on this ? Any reason why ? Just curious. Thank you.

By all means.

1. Because I am a strategic thinker, which Board members need to be.
2. Because I have experience serving on the Boards of non profit organizations.
3. Because I have met some awesome Boards and understand what good governance can achieve.
4. Because public companies remunerate their Board members (sometimes very well), compensating for the potential liability.

Of course, the chances of my being invited to join the Board of a public company are about as good as pigs flying, :D

Seasonal work - working outdoors - considering working with the parks department in my state. The rest of the time mixing volunteering with travel.

I expect the sarcastic replies (Nords - goats at a nickel a herd?)...
Was it the sarcasm or the herd of goats that brought my name to mind?

My focus has always been on the dissatisfiers. These days I can barely stand to [-]find[/-] put on socks & shoes & pants & collared shirt and drag my butt to a country club ("all the way across the island") for an investor's meeting. Even worse, I usually have to skip my afternoon nap. But the coffee is good.

I won't return to rush hours, uniforms, mandatory training, department-head meetings, performance reports, or even regular working hours. I enjoy writing & reading, but I don't feel the need to seek financial compensation for it. One of the big reasons that I enjoy surfing is because I refuse to seek financial compensation from it.

Several times a year I'll encounter the chance to earn at least $75K annually. Once in a great while I'll see an opportunity that might move into the seven-figure range. But then I realize that I don't need the money, I don't need to figure out how to give away even more money, and I don't want to change my lifestyle.

I think my watchstanding days are over, but I still occasionally miss the mental challenge (and the hunter's satisfaction) of the submarine operations that we don't discuss. I also enjoyed doing ship's drills and even engineering drills (because you get to use all the gear in all of its modes) but I don't miss the midwatch casualties one bit.

The things I enjoy the most these days are being a good spouse, a good parent, and a [-]good[/-] better surfer. I enjoy hanging out with personal-finance writers, whether it's in person or online. I also really enjoy seeing the "Aha!" light go on over a servicemember's head when we can help them work through a financial independence question.

3. Because I have met some awesome Boards and understand what good governance can achieve.
4. Because public companies remunerate their Board members (sometimes very well), compensating for the potential liability.
I've seen good boards and not-so-good boards. One thing I've noticed about boards is that when the company (or non-profit) is succeeding, nobody holds a tickertape parade for the board members. (Nobody stuffs the board's pockets full of stock options, either, unless the "board member" is a full-time company exec.) But when things get bad and the CEO's been run out of town, the board is always the focus of Harvard's next case study on negligence & incompetence. That's as it should be, but I'm not willing to put in the vigilance for that result.

My bad board experiences outweigh my good ones, and I have no desire to try to change the balance. I'd go even further to suggest that when a company has to work through every other eager volunteer before they get to my name, that's not a good thing...

Well, a little over 3 years ago I went in to give notice to fully retire and came out with a semi-ER offer.

I stayed because it was going to pay me really well, I would work about 1 day a week and would be doing the parts of my job I like the best which was more of a consulting role.

Three years later I am planning to go in next week and give notice to fully retire. I've thought a lot about whether I could be talked into staying.

The money is very, very good. But I now go to the office twice a week usually which is a long commute (3 hours in the car on the days I go to work).

I've thought about what if I was told I didn't have to come to the office at all and my work would go back more to the consulting area (I still do a lot of that but in the last year my work has started to morph back into some of the stuff that is stressful that I don't like) and to work fewer hours - closer to 1 day than 2. In some ways that is very attractive, but I don't think I would stay even then because I really don't want to work in my current field.

On the other hand, after fully retiring, I could totally see me taking a job. It would need to be something that I would basically be willing to do for free where I just happened to be paid. It would have to be low stress and something where I wasn't very tied down. I don't plan - at this point - to seek something out like that but I could see doing it for awhile if it came along.

is there a j*b that you would stay for?
I would have stayed, at least until I could have seen my state's Obama Care prices, with the j*b I just retired from if they would have let me work 80% time or less.

As a Software developer, the old saying is "live to code, code to live." I hope I'm past the "code to live" part, but I certainly still enjoy coding. So I expect to write more code in the future, and might get paid for some of it. I'm just not interested in a full-time job for some MegaCorp at anything less than crazy wages. I want a better work/life balance, and if I can not have balance, I want more of the LIFE side.

After I am full ER, I would not mind tutoring. I would very much enjoy tutoring high school students, for a fee, on various standardized tests. I have a track record of doing very well on these tests and back in high school where I tutored students in my high school on SATs and so on. I found those sessions enjoyable and liked the money I made off them.

For me, it would be an unfinished scientific research project that still held great personal interest.

By all means.

Of course, the chances of my being invited to join the Board of a public company are about as good as pigs flying, :D

I would add one more reason. The board I would consider pays 100% of family health care costs. With that being my biggest unknown to an ER, it is an added plus. I am already familiar with the company. As a current management employee, I could see making the transition.

Only if it was a job I enjoyed. Other than a pro golfer or a QC beer taster , I can't imagine what it would be.

Should it come to pass that I would be financially independent one day, there is much work I would be delighted to do. On my terms. I just have to find owners who appreciate good design.

I know they are out there.

I loved my work and my job - I just did could not stand the new management fools in the last few years

I experienced something similar with my job. Most aspects of the job were okay, some even enjoyable - but several of the managers were terrible, especially for the last several years that I worked there. So, you might love your job now, and be planning to do it for a long time..........but remember that things can change quickly, and the work environment can go downhill fast as a result.

I love my job, but fulltime work is still the daily grind. When I reach ER status I'm stepping off the treadmill.
However, as others have posted, contract work is a different dynamic. I have a relatively low stress, non MD medical sub-specialty with high demand in the temp space. I have done this type of work in the past and will consider any work that sounds interesting. This type of work includes travel expenses + lodging so not exactly routine. Plus, it will be optional. I love that idea.

Actually there are few I'd do or at least try for 6 months.
Beside the joke ones; bikini contest judge, Playboy photographer

I'd like to do marketing work for Google, Tesla or SpaceX, or Firaxis (the game company that does the Civilization series). Now there is no way I'm motivated enough to actually go actively search out a job. But if somebody works there and wants to hire me, I'll entertain offers :D

I love my work as an engineer, just the corp bs I can't stand.

I would go back to w*rk as a banner tow pilot. Low & slow, just watch the fuel consumption, many crashes are from fuel exhaustion.

Defintly look to use the bus on disaster relief, just pack up as much water, food, diapers, coffee etc, I could and drive to assist as I can. Not a j*b but an aspiration.

I would be an editor, if the emphasis could be on quality instead of super-fast production.

Never going to happen, though.

Amethyst

I experienced something similar with my job. Most aspects of the job were okay, some even enjoyable - but several of the managers were terrible, especially for the last several years that I worked there. So, you might love your job now, and be planning to do it for a long time..........but remember that things can change quickly, and the work environment can go downhill fast as a result.

You're telling my story, twenty some great years followed by five of insanity. I've seen enough insanity in my life, decided I really didn't need anymore.

Back
Top Bottom