Join Early Retirement Today

Is there any J*b you would stay for?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Today is my first day of my new new "Semi-ER." I'm happy because it is a choice on my own terms. Which got me thinking: is there a j*b that you would stay for?

I expect the sarcastic replies (Nords - goats at a nickel a herd?) but I'd like to hear of others also. I'm going to my alma mater teaching a favorite topic to help people improve. Any others?
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
gone traveling

Within reason, probably not.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New applicant inspector at an upscale gentlemen's club....

sorry....
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have to believe there are jobs most of us would "stay for" - unfortunately they are hard to find/few and far between for various reasons. I certainly know people who truly love their jobs and have/are working past 70. And while I retired almost 2 years ago, if a job that I really wanted came up (there are a couple of narrow fields), I'd be happy to go back to work at an "encore career." - something completely different than my first career.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

No.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I loved my work and my job - I just did could not stand the new management fools in the last few years - they lost the point of our jobs and the value we employees contributed and figured we would do anything and everything they said. They ended up losing all the experience staff and now have a bunch of young kids to abuse. We all retired and now are loving life
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The more I stay on this site, the less my journey becomes about retirement and the more it becomes about financial independence, because I see no real reason to leave my job.

I'd stay for any job similar to mine, contract work that I do fully from home, completely on my own time, where I report to no one and taking on work is 100% my decision if I even want to. It's fun work, and I've got the options to work 80 hours a week, which I do at times, or less than an hour a week, which I do at other times. I seem to get all of the benefits of being retired. While earning money, I take on the difficult and boring jobs that come my way. I could easily keep working and just stop taking these ones, only picking up jobs that involve me doing things I like, like watching television.

My boyfriend and I are transcriptionists/ subtitlers by the way. If my job even exists when I'm near retirement age, I see no real reason to leave. If I retire, the only thing that would change is I'd streaming random TV shows and not getting paid to do so. I thought I wanted out of working, but now I realize any job that gives me the same lifestyle as if I weren't working is fine for me
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #8

I have had a couple of jobs that I would still do instead of retirement. Unfortunately, they no longer exist, having been eliminated by either new technology or the global economy.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #9

2 1/2 yrs into ER, I would say No.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't mind joining the board of a public company. Otherwise, I am done with business suits, heels and pantyhose!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Otherwise, I am done with business suits, heels and pantyhose!
Me, too...
Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nope.

Well, other than the job I presently have, as "professional retiree" - - the pay is low, zero actually, although the hours are long, 24-hours/day. But my boss (me) is fantastic! Love the work, too; what a great fit. It is exactly what I wanted to do.

My boss is telling me that I'd better get a move on and pour that second cup of coffee now. See what I mean?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #13

I just did. Its a full time telecommute j*b with my current Megacorp. I was worried that I didn't have enough cushion in my ER plans and this seemed like a good solution.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
Administrator

Well into my 4th year of retirement and I can't envisage a j*b that could possibly entice me to return to work.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I would stay in a job where I could make a difference and still pay my bills. Most of my life I struggled to find such a job. I've had jobs where I could and I think I did make a difference (Peace Corps Volunteer, Teacher). Money is an issue in jobs like that, but more importantly, you can't do good unless your employer provides you the support you need. I wanted out of my last job because I think it became impossible to do any good at all. To survive in what my MegaCorp had turned into you had to focus on things other than doing good work.
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Pro athlete, though at this age I suppose I'd be limited to something like senior tour golf. I know the travel can be rough and there can be some bad personalities to deal with, plus it'd take a lot of work to stay in prime shape, but I think I'd keep going until I wasn't good enough to compete.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #17

No...I have worked a job for most of my life. I don't want another job...even for money. I have reached a point that I don't want to do anything for money, anymore. The fun things I like to do have nothing to do with money. I don't need any more money...I need more time...
Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I remember in my 2008 exit interview telling the HR rep that even if the company had offered me the part-time, telecmommute gig I had from 2001-2003 (the company ended all open-ended telecommuting in 2003), I would have turned it down because I simply could not stand the commute, even one day a week, to the office. Even though it was a useless exercise, I did think about what it would take for me to continue working there. I would have needed two non-starters (from the company's standpoint): (1) coming to the office at most once a month, and (2) eligibility in the company's group health insurance plan, something I became ineligible for in 2007 when I reduced my weekly hours worked from 20 to 12. I was more than willing to pay 100% of the premiums (like COBRA, which I was already on). In other words, as I told several coworkers during the time I had that telecommute gig in 2001-03, "They could have my mind but not my body!"

So I left. And it has been a great 4 1/2 years since then.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #19

If I were my own boss, working whatever hours I chose, working only on projects that I found interesting (e.g., writing a book on some subject), then yeah. But being someone else's employee? Doubt it.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Let me go part time, work from home most days, and limit my travel. That would be good enough for me to hang on for another year or so. Likelihood of my employer agreeing to same is the same as me flapping my wings to fly home at the end of the day. I am thinking I will just outright quit and not bring it up.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote