Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
If you're already financially set, why do you want to work another 10 years?
I have hit my "lean" FI number to cover our annual expenses. I am just padding the cushion for next 10 years. I joked with my wife that we are just building up bigger inheritance for our kids!

My current job is low stress with good pay and great health care. My pension increases with every year worked and I get to buy employer's healthcare plan for life with the full retirement package if I work 10 more years.
capitalhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
It's much better to stay under the radar but during your early retirement don't be afraid to spend.
We plan to spend more money in retirement than we do now. More time to travel and splurge on nice things.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:51 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Stealth Wealth" is my secret motto... for only DW & me to know. Let people think what they want.
DawgMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:51 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are very much in the dark horse category. Not even our children know. That is how we like it.

We have always avoided debt, lived below our means, and invested wisely. Then we woke up one day and realized how much equity we had over and above the various annuity/pension income streams that cover our living expenses.

It seemed to have happened overnight but it did not. It took a working lifetime. We never had a sense that we deprived ourselves of anything....other than consumer debt and car loans.

My first boss in a commission environment, a very financially successful man, gave me some good advice. It is not about how much you make, it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:52 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeboz View Post
True to my heart but is my wife's dismay. "Can you PLEASE take off your sweatshirt with paint stains before we go out..?"
I hear you! My wife wants to throw away my favorite sweatshirt with stains and a hole. It's my comfy home attire when I do chores around the house!
Old 02-11-2021, 12:54 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think in general with a mostly LBYM crowd on this site, you won't receive many responses of wishing for recognition.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:54 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We are very much in the dark horse category. Not even our children know. That is how we like it.

We have always avoided debt, lived below our means, and invested wisely. Then we woke up one day and realized how much equity we had over and above the various annuity/pension income streams that cover our living expenses.

It seemed to have happened overnight but it did not. It took a working lifetime. We never had a sense that we deprived ourselves of anything....other than consumer debt and car loans.

My first boss in a commission environment, a very financially successful man, gave me some good advice. It is not about how much you make, it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it.
That's great advice. My first boss wore a shoe with a hole in it. He was the millionaire next door type and was more wealthy than the flashy pinstripe suit wearing Director.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Just the opposite from the OPs query - I DON’T want to be recognized for my financial success, FIRE or otherwise. It may not seem obvious online where I’m anonymous but in my real life, career and personal, I’ve always sought to be underestimated - and retiring hasn’t changed that at all. And it’s always worked exactly as intended. Once LBYM, always LBYM for us.

I’m not worried about what others guess our socioeconomic status might be, we want to be judged for everything else about how we live our lives and treat others.

I know and have known many people who live beyond their means and go to great lengths to “advertise” their success - most of the corporate types I’ve known ***. And I’ve never liked any of them, none have become friends of ours...

*** Most of the peer execs I worked with couldn’t understand my relatively frugal ways until I retired at 57 still at the height of my career with no end in sight. Then almost every one of them swarmed around me dying to know “how I did it?” They couldn’t fathom how I did it, they all guessed I made a killing in stocks, but I never shared anything...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I think in general with a mostly LBYM crowd on this site, you won't receive many responses of wishing for recognition.
I think it's more of a sibling thing with my brother and I. It gets under my skin from time to time. It's easier to paint a mirage of success with debt.

He might get the short-term accolades but his finances were on thin ice. I rather be in my position than his for the long term.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

No, not at all

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalhockey View Post
Is there any yearning to be recognized for your FIRE success?
Nope, I learned long ago not to care what others think of me. I would rather be "invisible" than worry about any kind of recognition. If you're rich, powerful, beautiful, and famous, good for you. I'm not impressed or interested in that life style.

Most of our life choices would not fit the "norm" (jobs, lifestyle, clothing, cars, finances, etc.), but it works for us. Obviously there are still times when someone will make a comment or expression that hurts. But when I think of why we made our choices, it all makes sense and those feelings go away.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #32
gone traveling

Not really. I have been FIREly successful for going on twenty plus years now. Still drive one car 5 years old, second car 7 years old. In fact, am thinking of downsizing to the non-descript suburbs, the house I'm in is seeming too big and the grounds to large.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:13 PM   #33

Nope. It's fun to be a closet multimillionaire! My travels are the only thing that may indicate to people that I'm doing pretty darn well.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Just the opposite from the OPs query - I DON’T want to be recognized for my success, FIRE or otherwise. It may not seem obvious online where I’m anonymous but in my real life, career and personal, I’ve always sought to be underestimated
I was the same way in my w*rking years. I would do what was expected of me, but that was about it. I did a good job, but snubbed any kind of recognition...it has never been my style. As my best friend says, "I strive for mediocrity"

It reminds me of a couple of my Dad's friends. Friend "A" was highly accomplished and did some pretty awesome things in life. He was an editor for a large newspaper, an elected state representative and owned a successful restaurant in Germany after his time in the military. Never mind the several year sabbatical he took where he traveled all over the US, Mexico and South America where he met and married an AA flight attendant. When he passed away, his obituary was nothing more than a legal announcement...two sentences if I recall. Friend "B" lead a successful professional but otherwise unremarkable life. He worked for mega corp for 20 years, became a head hunter and retired at 65 years old. He did nothing in retirement and died at 72 of cancer. His obit was THOUSANDS of words that read like a Linkedin profile...it was honestly one of the saddest things I have ever read.

Yes, a bit of a ramble, but just an example of how folks live their lives and what seems to be important.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We have just the one vehicle, a 2005 Honda Civic with slightly under 140K km, (around 86K miles)...has a couple dings/scratches...who cares, it's just a freakin car.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalhockey View Post
Is there any yearning to be recognized for your FIRE success?
ER Forum members get lots of recognition, from each other, and it seems to be enough for most of us. That's one of the things that bring us together here.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:20 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I was the same way in my w*rking years. I would do what was expected of me, but that was about it. I did a good job, but snubbed any kind of recognition...it has never been my style. As my best friend says, "I strive for mediocrity"
To clarify, I didn’t want to be recognized for my financial success. I didn’t strive for mediocrity in job performance by any means, I always worked hard to be the best at anything I did in my career. I was always willing to go above and beyond. I never would have enjoyed all the promotions I was blessed with otherwise, that enabled me to retire early.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:24 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
...In fact, am thinking of downsizing to the non-desript suburbs, the house I'm in is seeming too big and the grounds to large.
While we don't live in a mansion by any means, it is pretty nice for the area we live; nicer than any house I have ever lived in. As soon as we moved in, I went to great lengths to remove any and all pictures of the interior (and exterior of the pool) that were on the MLS, Zillow, etc because...well, I don't have a good reason. I just don't like the idea that others would make assumptions about our financial position, even though I really shouldn't give a rat's ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We have just the one vehicle, a 2005 Honda Civic with slightly under 140K km, (around 86K miles)...has a couple dings/scratches...who cares, it's just a freakin car.
As I get older, I tend to look at a car as nothing more than an appliance.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:25 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We all have a couple of dings and scratches.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:26 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

No.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote