Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH is happier with me since I retired though he won't fully admit it because he really misses my paycheck. He is also happier with our lifestyle especially the home-cooked meals he is getting and the convenience of having someone at home to handle home and family matters. Also, I don't moan and groan and complain about work anymore over dinner. Instead, we talk about everyday news and happenings.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
...really misses my paycheck.
He does?
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #43

As Nords said....Absolutely.

As a matter of fact DW told me either I retire or think about moving out. I was a workaholic in a very stressful, long hours self employed job. I was not only doing my job, but also some of my bosses job since he didn't know how to. Eventually they all got fired and I did the new guys job. Dw even got a part time job (when I retired) since we were concerned about the money. While I was self employed she took care of all the paper work.

I now have more time to spend with her and the kids and do much needed reno's around the house. Mind you I still have nightmares and feel a bit depressed having to give up all the money..... and I never had to look for the next job, it always came to me. I still sometime think....if I would have only worked one more year, but I know our marriage wouldn't have made it....... I was falling apart. I remember couple weeks before retiring I told my boss he needed to do his own job, that didn't go over well, my wife was sitting beside me when I said it. She told me that she'd been wanting to say that for a long time but, I needed to step away and retire.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH is the one who retired while I still have a small part time job. I'm happy he retired. The last 3 or 4 years before he retired we had always had the worry of him losing his job. When it finally happened retiring was the best option and it has worked out better than we expected.

He's very calm, happy and unwound. He gets to do whatever it is that he wants, whenever he wants. He has avoided all commitments besides doctor and dentist appointments. I've enjoyed seeing him learn how to play again.

How this all has affected me is that I don't get much alone time anymore but I've adapted. I like that he's here to bring in the groceries when I get home from the store.

When he was working we saved large chunks of money. Now we save small chunks of money most months and some months we have to use some savings if we've had a major expense, usually a needed home repair or medical expense.

I don't resent him being retired while I'm still working. I choose to keep my part time job because I want to still be contributing to savings and I like having something that's my own. I don't mean that the earnings are my own, that goes into the joint savings, I mean that there is a part of my life that's just for me. My part time job fits this need well.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

She is really happy. But she is the one who retired. I am happy because she decided to join me half-way around the world in a 2.5-world country.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
My wife would rather I worked, studied or volunteered, at least part-time. This is probably due to her having a very stressful job and having some 15 years of it. She is constantly bringing up those issues. But I am relentless in my apathy, laziness and indolence.
Despite her difficult job, or maybe because of it, she has decided to study a four year course in something that is substandard to her degree in Psychology, but somewhat related to her current job, even though it won´t make it any easier. The job, I mean.
Her new plans to study will -no doubt- make our relationship a bit more tense,.
I wouldn´t be surprised if she didn´t blame me for not encouraging her in her studies by me not taking any courses at all.......
I truly don´t understand her. She is up at 6 am to go to work, gets home at 3 30 pm and still thinks that it´s a shame not to do anything productive int the afternoons/evenings.
Ok, let me get this straight, your wife has a degree in psychology, and you are going to go to a psychologist? Isn't that like being unfaithful?

I don't know if this helps, but its a true story. As a young man, I fell for a clinical psychologist. Of course, she could not help but analyze me and tell me all the "problems" I had and suggest "fixes". I really liked her but this was causing problems in our relationship and making me defensive. One day I made an appointment to see her, using a fake name. I sat down and when she came in she seemed a little miffed. So, I started talking in the 3rd person about "this guy I know" (me) and "his girlfriend" (her). I said I was trying to be a good friend and offer advice because they were having problems and I wanted to understand why.

She seemed shocked I would do such a thing, but was not angry when I left the office. We got along great after that.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Ok, let me get this straight, your wife has a degree in psychology, and you are going to go to a psychologist? Isn't that like being unfaithful?

I don't know if this helps, but its a true story. As a young man, I fell for a clinical psychologist. Of course, she could not help but analyze me and tell me all the "problems" I had and suggest "fixes". I really liked her but this was causing problems in our relationship and making me defensive. One day I made an appointment to see her, using a fake name. I sat down and when she came in she seemed a little miffed. So, I started talking in the 3rd person about "this guy I know" (me) and "his girlfriend" (her). I said I was trying to be a good friend and offer advice because they were having problems and I wanted to understand why.

She seemed shocked I would do such a thing, but was not angry when I left the office. We got along great after that.......
Did she send you a bill?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

My husband is older then me and he is one grumpy person to put it politely. He has had a whole personality change. It an't easy. God Bless.
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #49

Have mentioned this before on the board, but my DH retired last July. I am working one more year. It is GREAT having him retired. I LOVE it and so does he.

He cooks (always claimed he could not follow recipes, but i used a Groupon for a 6 month subscription to thescramble.com and he is doing a wonderful job. He vacuums, does laundry, all the errands. I come home to a house much better looking than when i worked. Not sure how long this will last, but it works great now.

He goes to Panera Bread each morning for coffee and people-watching. He may look for a part-time job later, but we can make it fine without that.

Life is good. This school year is dragggggging by for me, though I will miss it (maybe). DH thought he would miss his teaching job, but does not. He misses "the kids and teaching", but kids and teaching were not why he retired....it was all the other stuff that comes with it.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol911 View Post
My husband is older then me and he is one grumpy person to put it politely. He has had a whole personality change. It an't easy. God Bless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Have mentioned this before on the board, but my DH retired last July. I am working one more year. It is GREAT having him retired. I LOVE it and so does he.

He cooks (always claimed he could not follow recipes, but i used a Groupon for a 6 month subscription to thescramble.com and he is doing a wonderful job. He vacuums, does laundry, all the errands. I come home to a house much better looking than when i worked. Not sure how long this will last, but it works great now.

He goes to Panera Bread each morning for coffee and people-watching. He may look for a part-time job later, but we can make it fine without that.

Life is good. This school year is dragggggging by for me, though I will miss it (maybe). DH thought he would miss his teaching job, but does not. He misses "the kids and teaching", but kids and teaching were not why he retired....it was all the other stuff that comes with it.
I am certain DW and offspring would find a lot in common with these.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
He does?
Yes, when we have to make huge purchases like property which was why we bought our dream retirement home (at least our home for some time to come) before I ER. I think he misses my paycheck now because any further huge purchases (like property for rental) will be borne entirely by him.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:12 AM   #52
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I think he misses my paycheck now because any further huge purchases (like property for rental) will be borne entirely by him.
That's the difference in situations. Being "old fashoned", I never expected DW to give me "her money" and paid (and still do) for all major/minor purchases, including all household expenses (including the note/mortgage - four of them, over the years).

If she wishes to throw money my way (such as getting me a new desktop and laptop upon my retirement - as a "retirement gift"), fine. But it never was expected.

I guess it comes down to when she went back to work after we were married and her caring for our (disabled) son for over five years. We always planned to live on my pay since we never knew if/when she would have to give up her j*b if our situation changed.

Different strokes...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote