Iso secular Bible reading plan

Not a direct answer for you, but I'd say start with something that is maybe more digestible before diving into chapter by chapter in the OT. I found this book really good at helping out with understanding the OT.
The Story: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People

Back in '72 or so I took a fantastic English college class "The Bible as Literature." The book we read, besides the Bible itself, was "The Dartmouth Bible." I don't know if it can still be found, but that would be perfect for the OP. I recall it would describe tales in the Bible along with historical background and alternate explanations for various miracles depicted in the Bible.
(as an aside, the Professor was an older African American woman, raised in Jim Crow South whose father was some sort of "Holy Roller" minister. Her passion made this a fascinating course).

What a great question from the OP.

In about 1988 I also took "The Bible as Literature" as an elective for a liberal arts requirement. The class was taught by a middle-aged Jewish atheist. Fascinating class, and the professor and I spent a lot of time talking about his course choices and organization.

IIRC, we started with some of the books with better known stories from the Old Testament's shorter books (Esther, Ruth, Jonah), and also spent some time in the book of Job.

We also dipped into the wisdom literature: Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Psalms.

In the New Testament I would recommend starting with the book of John, and then maybe the book of Acts (many phrases from the parables make their way into secular literature), then the book of Romans.

I don't recall the version we used, but I have a 1984 New International Version that is easy to read and understand. A lot of the references in "classic" literature correspond to the King James Version, but you'll still recognize it when you come across it.

Good luck on your endeavor. As another poster said, it's easy to get bogged down in the "begats," etc. If you do pick and choose this way, a good commentary or study bible with the commentary on the same page can make a world of difference. Context as to customs and to historical events and mores aid understanding. The MacArthur Study Bible is one that comes to mind.

If you spend much time driving or prefer listening to audio commentary, there is an app called "OnePlace" that has audio from a preacher named Dr. J. Vernon McGee (1904-1988). He preached sermons "Thru the Bible," book by book, chapter by chapter, verse by verse, and I've found him to be an interesting and engaging resource. Wiki says he was an "American ordained Presbyterian minister, pastor, Bible teacher, theologian, and radio minister." It looks like there's about 30 days available at one time, and it can be interesting to read the passage then listen to him go through the same passage.

There's a relatively new translation called the Common English Bible which is a bit more accessible than the traditional versions, so you might want to take a look at that. Most bookstores (including Barnes & Noble and local stores) will have a variety of Bibles you can look at to choose one - also libraries will have multiple translations.

I think the recommendations for Ehrman's book or the Yale course are good ideas; there are also Introductions to the Old Testament & to the New Testament on Amazon. Asimov's book isn't bad (haven't read the whole thing but looked at parts in my late teens). Coming to them cold, I suspect much of the Old Testament (Leviticus, etc) and the Pauline letters aren't very transparent to most, unless you happened to have grown up in a church, and probably not even then, based on my experiences at Abilene Christian in undergrad (long ago).

My father was a minister and had me read a couple chapters a day beginning at age 6, but then I could ask him questions if I were curious.

As a lit person, the King James is undoubtedly the most literary but the New International or Revised Standard/American Standard translations are generally more readable.

Life-long goal is to read the Christian Bible. Can anyone recommend a reading plan that will help me understand it as a historical and literary work?

Start on page one and continue reading a bit each day until you finish Revelation. I have been doing that for quite some years.

Life-long goal is to read the Christian Bible. Can anyone recommend a reading plan that will help me understand it as a historical and literary work?

In terms of a reading "plan" there are lots of "Through the Bible in a Year" books out there. These are probably more focused on the spiritual than the historical/literary but WILL get you through in the set time period they specify. IIRC such study bibles require perhaps 20 or 30 minutes time each day. You still have to pick which version you want. Some are a more-or-less "word for word" translation and others are more of a "thought" translation. You almost need to read up on these to see what fits your needs.

Something I've always said I wanted to do - but never have - is find a good text on the original Hebrew (for OT) and Greek (for NT). It's amazing how much more the original language can convey about the actual meanings of various words. English is an extremely efficient language but it's quite imprecise. Heh, heh, maybe in my next life...:angel:

I've been toying with the HPB (Hawaii Pidgin Version) of late. Quite entertaining but not likely of much value to most of us haole.:cool: YMMV

I was on a "read all the classics" kick in my 20's. Eventually I got to the Bible. I found a copy of The Dartmouth Bible at a yard sale and dug in.

I got a lot out of it. I like the language of the King James version; the only well-written document ever produced by a government committee. I liked the learning the historical context of the stories and ideas presented in the Bible. It also drove home how many expressions we hear every day, and how many of our societal norms and values, come from something as simple as a poorly translated turn of phrase. A real eye-opener in many ways!

Start with New Testament. The OT can be a rough read. With stories of giants and husband passing their wife off as sisters so he is not killed. Offering virgin daughters to a mad crowd that wants to rape a male stranger (and the crowd is one of the 12 tribes) and then cutting his slave up in pieces to send to the other 11 tribes. A king having his officer killed so he could have the officers wife. God hardening peoples heart (is that free will)?
To me the OT is a hard read but I love the New Testament and the story of love. I said enough I dont want to give away the story if you havnt read yet. But both books need to be read.

The Bible as Literature is a good class suggestion.
New Testament first is also a good idea.
Having a pastor or person of faith to go to to ask questions is helpful.
I know when I read it, I had many questions to ask/discuss.
Picking a version that is readable to you is important. I started on a very old bible that I had from childhood, ended up changing to a more modern english one.
It can be a long slog, but well worth it.

I also recall recently seeing an app where James Earl Jones reads the bible. Might be interesting.

Last edited:
I collect old books and at a used bookstore I found a 1920 volume entitled "One Syllable Life of Christ (Our Savior's Life Simplified and Explained for Mothers and Children)". Beautiful plates and yes everything except proper names is one-syllable.

Last edited:
I collect old books and at a used bookstore I found a 1920 volume entitled "One Syllable Life of Christ (Our Savior's Life Simplified and Explained for Mothers and Children)". Beautiful plates and yes everything except proper names is one-syllable.

One book I enjoyed a lot was a chronological book of the Gospels. It was essentially Mathew, Mark, Luke and John combined into a complete story with everything in order. YMMV

I recommend the One Year Chronological Bible (NIV).

It's the New International Version translation so it's easy to read. The narrative is in chronological order so it reads like a history book. The entire Bible is arranged in the order that things happened. It reads somewhat like a novel.

There is a daily reading plan that will get you through the whole Bible in a year, but it's so easy to read it in this format I bet you will be done much sooner.

I recommend the One Year Chronological Bible (NIV).

It's the New International Version translation so it's easy to read. The narrative is in chronological order so it reads like a history book. The entire Bible is arranged in the order that things happened. It reads somewhat like a novel.

There is a daily reading plan that will get you through the whole Bible in a year, but it's so easy to read it in this format I bet you will be done much sooner.

Sounds like a real "page turner!" :greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom