Its finally here

dm

Full time employment: Posting here.
Last Friday was my last day of employment:D. I went to part time for 6 months to help transition my replacement. I do have a few company functions still to attend. I'm going to the company golf outing this afternoon, and my retirement party is planned in November so I guess I'll try and be there.

Ive been asked the usual, what are you going to do all day, and your to young to retire (Im 50). A few have asked how I am able to do it and did I win the lottery or something. These guys are around my same age and I'm sure with a similar income. I tell them the truth, that I simply have been planning for it for years and with LBYM and investing I made it happen. Ive been lucky in that Ive always had a good job and everyone in the family has been healthy.

I'm still not sure it has sunk in yet, but I do have two trips planned for this month and I guess its time to finally clean out the garage and basement. If I can find the time that is.

Congratulations. Come on in - the water is warm. :)

Congratulations on finally escaping the rat race. So did you get up without using alarm for the first time in many years?

It's going to take a long time for the euphoria to wear off, congratulations!

Congratulations DM! I love reading success stories like yours. Good luck in your golf round today -- now you can beat the boss without fear :)

Coach

Welcome to a wonderful adventure.

Congratulations! I FIREd 6/1 and it has been the best 4 months of my life.
Jake46

Congrats!!
Don't worry about the garage it will still be there.....I have been free for 16 months ans still have not fully cleaned the garage -- it keeps gettin dirty!
Enjoy your freedom - there is no going back! :D

I cleaned out the garage last week. I hope it stays clean for the next 9 months until I retire. I don't want to have to spend precious retirement time cleaning no stinkin' garage!

Anyway, dm, congratulations.

Thank's everyone. The golf outing went well, free lunch, golf, drinks and supper. I told the boss that I may be available for future outings if needed.

Ive got a couple of old cars that need restoring that is on my list of things that I want to do. But I really need to clean up that damn garage. It's really not that bad and I can probaly get it done in a day, but I have to play golf with some buddies tommorow, and I have a couple of trips planned this month. I just don't know when I'll have the time.

.... It's really not that bad and I can probaly get it done in a day, but I have to play golf with some buddies tommorow, and I have a couple of trips planned this month. I just don't know when I'll have the time.

Spoken like a veteran retiree! You've successfully crossed over...welcome to the other side!!:LOL:

Can't go back

Enjoy your freedom - there is no going back! :D[/quote]

How true, no way could I go back to work at the same place, I have tasted the sweetness of liberty and nothing else will do from now on. If some boss were to mistake me for an employee and get in my face or even make a face he/she would be flat told were to go and what to do when they get
there.:rant:

This is the best life all the sweat, planning, preparation and hard work were worth it. As for the garage, do what makes you happy, clean it, don't clean it, make it into something else, forget about it, whatever floats your boat, your in charge now.

Kitty

Congrats! I've been retired for 6 months and I still have to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming. I used to be depressed on Sunday afternoons, knowing I had to go to work the next day. Sundays and everyday of the week are like Saturday now. :)

Let me add my voice to the choir of congrats. Seeing that it can be done provides continued motivation for us dreamers.

Congrats! I've been retired for 6 months and I still have to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming. I used to be depressed on Sunday afternoons, knowing I had to go to work the next day. Sundays and everyday of the week are like Saturday now. :)

It took me a couple months to get over the Sunday afternoon queasiness.

The first week was great. I did clean out the garage and I can't believe how much better I feel going out there now. It took about three days to get past waking up at 5:30, I'm still getting up early but its more like 7:30 and I'm in no rush.

The only odd thing that happened is I got a speeding ticket, damn Porsche, but it was only for doing 50 in a 40. Anyway the officer asked me where I worked. The ticket was already in his hand but I went with I'm unemployed. I still got the ticket but I thought it was odd that it was asked.

dm, congratulations! Now that you have all this time on your hands, let's talk about MY garage...:)

A couple of phenomena you may notice:

1) Chores you think you need to do you will find yourself saying--"Oh why worry about it, I can always do that tomorrow."

2) Many times you will have to go look at the calender to remember what day of the week it is.

Congratulations. If my kids didn't go to school, I would never know if it was the weekend or not. In the summer, when they're home, I DON'T ever know when it is the weekend.

Later, I have a chore to do---never mind, I can do it tomorrow.

You prepared well, planned well, and made use of the opportunites we all have to so order your affairs to allow you to make this work to retirement choice. It is a wonder why so many, with the same opportunities we have, choose to squander their chances with shortsighted choices.

And go see your still working compatriots from time to time and rub it in. If any get irked, lower the boom on them and tell them how they squandered the same chances you had.

Enjoy this new phase of your life you made possible for yourself.

1) Chores you think you need to do you will find yourself saying--"Oh why worry about it, I can always do that tomorrow."

2) Many times you will have to go look at the calender to remember what day of the week it is.
In other words, nothing changes. Shucks I'm been a procrastinator for 62 years. I keep meaning to fix the problem, but hey, it can wait until tomorrow. And I never know what the day and date are without looking at my watch or my palm computer.

Well its been alittle over two months now and the garage can now hold two cars in it. Much golf has been played and I went on one golf trip with some friends. Its getting too cold to golf much now so I have started restoring a 1971 Porsche 911.

The first thing I notice are the days just fly by. And I don't like weekends, things are too crowded and people are in a hurry on the weekend, and some things are closed.

dm,

I had to smile when I saw you're starting to restore a 911. That's in my plans too. Mine is a 1970 model 911T, and I want to feel it corner again. Restoring it to acceptable appearance and good working condition is on my list. Keep us informed on the progress and what problems you encounter.

Restore is probably not the right term. I already have a stock 73 911t. Im making this one more of a hot rod. I picked up a 84 3.2 euro motor to go into the 71. I also have to pick up a new trans to handle the new motor. This one is going to be more of a period lightweight track car. I sure wish I didn't sell my 72S a few years ago, the S models are getting expensive.

Back
Top Bottom