Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

It's Very Good To Be FIRED in Atlanta!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's Very Good To Be FIRED in Atlanta!

Sometimes I forget about some of the wonderful advantages of being FIRED. This evening a fire caused a portion of the interstate in Atlanta to collapse and it will most likely be several months before it opens again. This collapse is going to significantly impact hundreds of thousands of commuters every day for the foreseeable future. I am happy that I will not be losing sleep tonight figuring how my commute is totally screwed....

ATLANTA BRIDGE COLLAPSE: I-85 NB overpass collapses due to massive fire | WSB-TV
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

It was not part of my commute route (other than as an alternate for the first six years of my 25 yrs working in the metro area), so for me it was only a brief reminder of how much traffic related stress I no longer have now that I am RE. On the other hand, for some of my pet therapy colleagues, it will be a hassle getting to the hospitals and nursing homes we visit in the area. I remember being stuck behind a tractor trailer accident seven years ago on that same interstate when returning from a hospice visit with my fortunately very patient therapy cat Lydia. Also, who knows, there may well be yet another SPLOST in our state and/or county sales taxes to pay for repairs
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:58 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

That is going to be horrible for so many people. The best route from my house to the office is a total moonscape right now, and will be under construction all summer. As of today, I don't have to drive it any more!
Old 03-31-2017, 05:09 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
That is going to be horrible for so many people. The best route from my house to the office is a total moonscape right now, and will be under construction all summer. As of today, I don't have to drive it any more!

Are we sure this is coincidental?[emoji6]
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:37 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That is terrible. I have never lived where traffic is an issue. Today I was in the country and didn't meet any other people on the road while I was out for about 6 hours. I feel for the people there but I couldn't live in an area with that many people. I don't care how many great eating places there are! Lol
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Sometimes I forget about some of the wonderful advantages of being FIRED. This evening a fire caused a portion of the interstate in Atlanta to collapse and it will most likely be several months before it opens again. This collapse is going to significantly impact hundreds of thousands of commuters every day for the foreseeable future. I am happy that I will not be losing sleep tonight figuring how my commute is totally screwed....

ATLANTA BRIDGE COLLAPSE: I-85 NB overpass collapses due to massive fire | WSB-TV
It took me a while to find an article that gave the location.
Quote:
The fire was on a bridge — I-85 northbound just south of Ga. 400 near Piedmont Road Atlanta I-85 fire, bridge collapse: 7 things to know
I feel badly for the people affected, especially those that use mass transit. Brings back memories (long repressed )

Good point. This is another important benefit to early retirement.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

MDMC, I would love it if you could start a thread about your therapy cat. I would like to know more about how that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
It was not part of my commute route (other than as an alternate for the first six years of my 25 yrs working in the metro area), so for me it was only a brief reminder of how much traffic related stress I no longer have now that I am RE. On the other hand, for some of my pet therapy colleagues, it will be a hassle getting to the hospitals and nursing homes we visit in the area. I remember being stuck behind a tractor trailer accident seven years ago on that same interstate when returning from a hospice visit with my fortunately very patient therapy cat Lydia. Also, who knows, there may well be yet another SPLOST in our state and/or county sales taxes to pay for repairs
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:32 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ive never seen concrete, asphalt and steel burn. This is a first. We're not being told the entire truth as to what happened to cause concrete to burn. Something shady went down but the evening news will tell you something cut and dry and everyone will soak it up and turn their attention back to the kardashians.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:42 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Ive never seen concrete, asphalt and steel burn. This is a first. We're not being told the entire truth as to what happened to cause concrete to burn. Something shady went down but the evening news will tell you something cut and dry and everyone will soak it up and turn their attention back to the kardashians.
Actually, from the link above, the concrete, asphalt and steel may not be burning (my bold). The reports I have seen all say "cause unknown".
Quote:
What caused the fire?

As of Friday morning, the cause is unknown. However, Channel 2 Action News reported that because flames appeared to be coming from underneath the interstate, the PVC piping under the interstate may have been on fire.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #10

The steel heated up, lost the strength it needed to hold up it's load, and everything came tumbling down, just like what started the twin towers collapse on 9/11.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
This evening a fire caused a portion of the interstate in Atlanta to collapse and it will most likely be several months before it opens again. This collapse is going to significantly impact hundreds of thousands of commuters every day for the foreseeable future.
Wow! What an absolute catastrophe for downtown traffic the next few months. I used to travel that route pretty frequently in my pre-RE days, and even with the interstates in pristine condition it could get very congested in that area.

Quote:
I am happy that I will not be losing sleep tonight figuring how my commute is totally screwed....
I'm with you there! Feel bad, though, for some of my ex-coworkers who I know will be heavily impacted by this. Hoping they have the good sense to start working from home a lot more... or maybe even take this as a sign they need to get on the FIRE train as soon as possible!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #12

This is exactly what we needed around here... more things screwing up traffic.. ugh, I can't wait until I don't have to commute to work anymore! I'm jealous of all ya'll!
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Atlanta traffic was already bad and this is going to make it a disaster. We lived in metro Atlanta for over 30 years before retiring and moving 90 minutes North to South Carolina. After a year in a much smaller town, we do not miss it at all.
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Juan Browne shows us the flammable material underneath the overpass:

https://youtu.be/zJUFAD28Kf0

My bet is that homeless people set up camp there, and lit a fire.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Ive never seen concrete, asphalt and steel burn. This is a first. We're not being told the entire truth as to what happened to cause concrete to burn.
I saw the evidence afterward when a gasoline tanker wrecked under an interstate highway bridge. The fire weakens the steel, and since asphalt is a petroleum product it will burn if it gets hot enough.

I've also seen a downed electrical power line melt concrete. That was impressive! I agree that it is unlikely that the concrete burned. But you know how those reporters never make any mistakes....
Old 03-31-2017, 06:45 PM   #16

Just arrived in Atlanta a few hours ago from the Charlotte region. Very lucky that our hotel was about 2 miles north of ground zero!
Ex Augusta area expat. Can testify that Atlanta traffic is horrific (or worse) most days...
Example, when no issues, speed on beltway and arteries is ~90-ish. When it's not, speed is negative 5 for hours/days/weeks.
Best wishes Atlanta. I love ya - - - but I don't miss ya!
Old 03-31-2017, 06:51 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I left Atlanta 14 years ago because MegaCorp packed up and moved--and because of the traffic. The problem is that the whole 3 million people move to about 5 places from 8:00-5:00 and then return. You can take 45 minutes to get through a 4 way stop 40 miles from downtown in rush hour.

I just feel for the poor people that have to work downtown. I-285 will be even busier on the Northern Perimeter and going south around Tucker to I-20 at Stone Mountain. I didn't think it could get busier.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ground zero collateral damage
Old 04-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #18

Ground zero collateral damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I left Atlanta 14 years ago because MegaCorp packed up and moved--and because of the traffic. The problem is that the whole 3 million people move to about 5 places from 8:00-5:00 and then return. You can take 45 minutes to get through a 4 way stop 40 miles from downtown in rush hour.

I just feel for the poor people that have to work downtown. I-285 will be even busier on the Northern Perimeter and going south around Tucker to I-20 at Stone Mountain. I didn't think it could get busier.
Spot on. While our hotel was north of the bridge collapse, our sightseeing was city center. The side streets (like N Druid Hills) and others were jammed on a Saturday. Commutes in the NW quadrant of Atlanta are going to be ball busters. But yeah, it should ease up once your get out to, say....Greenville.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #19

My younger sister lives NW of Atlanta and is fully retired but her daughter's job is more city center in Atlanta and I hear her commute is going to be beyond horrible until the bridge is repaired.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

I left Atlanta in 2010 and haven't been back. Hope they get the bridge rebuilt quickly!
Retireatee1 is offline   Reply With Quote