Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2021, 07:53 AM   #81
Dryer sheet aficionado

That is awesome and cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Then, we do too. Thanks for keeping us safe!
Aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
Lot's of stories and good advice here. I wish I could contribute in a positive way. I retired after 42 years of police work. We then moved off the farm we had built to be closer to the only two grandchildren we have. The transition has not gone well for me. My advice is to find something that interests you if possible and cultivate that interest. It's been a real struggle for me. Good luck..
Your post really struck a nerve with me. We occasionally think about moving from our family property, but despite all the good reasons we can find to move, we are not sure that we would like any place else any better.

Even thought we haven't moved, we are having struggles with finding people to interact with after retiring from our workplace of 46 years two years ago. I know the people we worked with aren't family, or friends in the traditional sense, but they were people we had a long standing relationship with, that we connected with - we were "...all in this together." We are trying to maintain a relationship with a few of these people, but, you know, we aren't there anymore, and their lives move on...sigh...

Still not sure how to go about finding people to hang out with.

We are trying pickleball, and we enjoy it, and are fairly good at it, but we are beginners, and the other players we see on the courts are much better players, and play with their own group, and we can't find a way to find someone else to play with. We can finally go back to church, but we weren't very involved there, either, because we spent almost all of our free time doing work things. And the few times we tried to get involved at church, the people who spend their time there seem to have everything all locked up - it's almost like a closed society, where if you haven't been involved for the last 50 years, they are nice to you, but you aren't really welcome to get involved unless they can "boss you around" (smile!)

We volunteer at a food bank, but everyone is working so hard that no one really says anything more than hello/goodbye - no real opportunity to interact.

We are lucky in that we really like hanging out with each other, and do a lot of things together. We have a few close friends (couples) that we do things with sometimes, but we seem to feel the need to be more social - it would sure be nice to have more people to do things with.

Anyone have any ideas about how we can go about meeting people?
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:44 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBlue View Post
Anyone have any ideas about how we can go about meeting people?
Try meetup.com and search for activities in your area. People have created meetup groups for all kinds of interests. Or consider starting a new meetup group if you have a particular activity you really enjoy.

Many newspapers have "things to do" sections that list activities open to the public. Try looking there.

Consider volunteering for a cause you care about.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:49 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
Try meetup.com and search for activities in your area. People have created meetup groups for all kinds of interests. Or consider starting a new meetup group if you have a particular activity you really enjoy.

Many newspapers have "things to do" sections that list activities open to the public. Try looking there.

Good idea to try Meetup. And we've read the newspaper "things to do" section but never tried any of them - we should do this!
Thank you!
Old 06-21-2021, 06:49 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post

We have met a bunch of like minded folks thru Meetup.... Camping Hiking and Kayaking. but as noted there are tons of areas of interest.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:01 AM   #86

I got onto Meetup yesterday, and so far, there aren't any groups we can join, except hiking, because we are either too old, or not single, or not interested in religious meetings. I'll keep searching!
Old 06-21-2021, 07:54 AM   #87

Quote:
I got onto Meetup yesterday, and so far, there aren't any groups we can join, except hiking, because we are either too old, or not single, or not interested in religious meetings. I'll keep searching!
Might be worth expanding the search radius, if your initial search was relatively small.

If even one group works out for you it may be a good start!
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:33 AM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was a kid my father would repeat a story to us . A story about cowboys traveling across the Texas desert at night . When the Cowboys went to sleep at night a voice came to them . The voice told them to pick up sand and put it in their pockets . In the morning they would be both happy and sad . The first cowboy scoffed and put 2 grains in his pocket , the second laughed and put a handful . The third filled all his pockets with sand and they all went to sleep. When the woke in the morning the first cowboy reached into his pocket and found two pieces of gold , the second had a pocket full and the third all pockets were full. My father always said what ever you do in life go all in. We work and people who retire know what it is to give their all . Now retirement is just another game , give it your all and enjoy it . Fill your pockets and let nothing hold you back .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Meetups seem to be primarily female, each with its queen bees who, just as in grade school, will shut out people whom they deem not to fit in. I've noticed the same thing about "support groups."

Any groups I've belonged to, were a natural development of things I do anyway, such as hobbies, going to the gym, or doing DIY projects (or this group, for that matter). No effort necessary to "fit in," because I already did, and others were glad to have me. Such situations are not common, but I'm used to that.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Meetups seem to be primarily female, each with its queen bees who, just as in grade school, will shut out people whom they deem not to fit in. I've noticed the same thing about "support groups."

Any groups I've belonged to, were a natural development of things I do anyway, such as hobbies, going to the gym, or doing DIY projects (or this group, for that matter). No effort necessary to "fit in," because I already did, and others were glad to have me. Such situations are not common, but I'm used to that.
I've sure noticed that about groups and "queen bees" (smile!)

I agree, meeting people as a natural development of things I do anyway is much better. I have lots of interests, and have met some nice people that way, and could be quite social through those interests, but these are not things that hubby is interested in...sigh... I'm trying hard to find ways to meet people that we can do things with together.

I'll keep hacking at it...
Old 06-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Go buy Ford Mustang , join Mustang Club America and. A local Mustang club .You will stay busy ....lots of retirees.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote