Just hit 15 years.

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just dawned on me that I reached 15 years retired when the ball dropped on New Year's Eve. The water is fine. It took me about 15 minutes to adjust.

Congratulations on sticking it out for a decade and a half. :)

I'm 6 months behind you but my adjustment was longer. Took me months to get the silly grin off my face.

Congrats. Nice milestone.
Just 29 months for me so far.

Congrats to all of you! I’m not there yet and probably won’t get there until the tail end of this new decade we just started but hearing these stories keeps me motivated knowing that there will eventually be an end date for this work stuff. :)

31 years since I left Saudi and decided we could survive with what little had been accumulated. That was the end of my short 'gainfully employed' chapter, now DW & I have 4 times that amount, and a shorter survival period ahead.

Last edited:
I just dawned on me that I reached 15 years retired when the ball dropped on New Year's Eve. The water is fine. It took me about 15 minutes to adjust.

That’s about when I joined er.org.

Starting year five, and have never looked back...

Nothing like joining an ER.org forum after ER. We got the "go ahead" from a VG FA three years before I joined. I've learned more here than anywhere else. It's a beautiful thing, discussing everything under the sun except politics and religion.

Congratulations!
Its nice when your plan works out well.

I'm only at 13. Still worried about what I will do all day. :(

Congratulations!

That’s getting to be pretty long. Hard to remember working I would bet.

It took me a good six months to adjust - mainly decompressing from a stressful work situation. I was never bored, just in a bit of a daze at first and did a lot of experimenting which really paid off later.

Last edited:
I'm going thru the terrible twos, 2.5 yrs, but as they say, never been so bored that I wanted to go back to work.

I'm going thru the terrible twos, 2.5 yrs, but as they say, never been so bored that I wanted to go back to work.

What are the retirement terrible twos?
29 months for me and have never felt more free and relaxed.

There's still time to crash and burn

Six days in and it hasn't all collapsed into smoking ruin...

...not yet, anyway.

Congrats.

I'm still a newbie & trying to figure it all out. Too many options, and not enough motivation. Coffee with the dogs drifts into cocktails with the dogs.

(We never imagined these dogs would be around so long. What to do with 16 y/o dogs that are still too healthy to put down?!)

That long?? I know that I had a big smile on my face as I made my last walk to the back door at Mega Corp on my final day. I am sure that it probably helped that I had a 4 week trip to Argentina planned for a week after I was done, so I didn't have to deal with any second thoughts about leaving the w**k force.

Congrats, Donheff! 10 years for me, and it has gone by quickly. I'm still in good health, and still enjoying every day. :)

Congratulations! Glad to hear some folks still going strong after that long.

I'm into my fourth year, myself. The adjustment was almost immediate the day I walked out of the office for the last time, around 1 PM. I stopped at Home Depot on the way home, and immediately noticed a different clientele than I'd usually encounter. It was a bunch of retired old guys, and a few w*rking contractors. At that point I realized I was now one of the former. I'd joined a new club.

By my first official day of retirement, a few days later, I was already underway on a 3-month cruise. The adjustment back to dry land was the hard part. We actually steamed on past our home marina and kept going to a nearby anchorage, just to extend the trip a couple of days.

Now we're working on selling the house to become "homeless trawler trash" while we look for our next home base, hopefully somewhere with a longer boating season.

Congratulations! Glad to hear some folks still going strong after that long.

I'm into my fourth year, myself. The adjustment was almost immediate the day I walked out of the office for the last time, around 1 PM. I stopped at Home Depot on the way home, and immediately noticed a different clientele than I'd usually encounter. It was a bunch of retired old guys, and a few w*rking contractors. At that point I realized I was now one of the former. I'd joined a new club.

By my first official day of retirement, a few days later, I was already underway on a 3-month cruise. The adjustment back to dry land was the hard part. We actually steamed on past our home marina and kept going to a nearby anchorage, just to extend the trip a couple of days.

Now we're working on selling the house to become "homeless trawler trash" while we look for our next home base, hopefully somewhere with a longer boating season.

That sounds like a great way to jump right into retirement. And thanks for sharing your blog link.

What are the retirement terrible twos?
29 months for me and have never felt more free and relaxed.
Being up at 5am on my not so smart phone reading and typing away with my thumbs instead of sleeping because I can.

Otherwise I agree it is bliss.

Back
Top Bottom