Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Just looked at Vail's webcam...
Old 11-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just looked at Vail's webcam...

... and shouldn't have because now I want to ditch this place early and head back to the mountains. Blowing snow, ski lifts, mountains...

Official Vail® Ski Resort Web Cams | Mountain Cams | Vail.com

God, I miss the mountains. I'm so ready to leave Silicon Valley. I wanted to be back in Colorado for this upcoming ski season, but the timing just doesn't work out.

*sigh*
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh wow, that is so pretty! And I'm not even a skier!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Brrrr! Pretty, but BRRRR! It looks exciting, cold, and amazing up there to me.

I am not only NOT a skiier, but also I haven't seen snow like that in years.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
God, I miss the mountains.
I hear you.
Last year we booked a week at a ski resort for what should have been a good time, but when we got there they hadn't had any fresh snowfall for days and none fell during our week. Not bad, but not what I expected.

Two weeks later, they were having absolutely record snowfall and conditions were incredibly good. I couldn't stand it so I immediately went back out and had the time of my life.

This year, we're playing it safer. I'll wait until conditions are really good, then take the trip. More expensive that way, but so, so worth it!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Very nice! Many moons ago when I was single, some buddies and I spent a week skiing in Vail. It snowed several inches a day, every day we were there. It was fantastic. I'd like to go back, but DW is not a winter sports (or winter anything) person.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

ahh--Vail
brings back old memories. When I was working I had a project up there for 5 years running, so I was up there all the time. Nice area, pricey but nice!
Old 11-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Brrrr! Pretty, but BRRRR! It looks exciting, cold, and amazing up there to me.

I am not only NOT a skiier, but also I haven't seen snow like that in years.
Gee, I was thinking that it would be nice to be that warm today! I don't think it has been above zero all day. I'm 60 or 70 miles southeast of Vail.

Hermit
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #8

I'll take todays 80 in Scottsdale over the 3 degrees in Denver right now. Vail is going to need a lot more snow than what they got today based on my drive through the mountains on the way to Arizona. Was pretty bare a couple of weeks ago!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #9

Beautiful snow on that webcam! So glad to be able to see it on the internet. I sure don't want it to look like that in my area, but we may have some snow or freezing rain tonight or tomorrow. Not a skier so am happy for those who like to ski and can go to the ski resorts.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #10

I was going through some of the other resorts to see which ones might cams taking moving images (not just still images) and Copper Mountain has a few good ones.

In fact, Copper has some of theirs pointed at places where people are skiing down, and also inside some of the training facilities like where snowboards learning jumping techniques.

Copper Mountain - Mountain Cams

Was fun to watch them all for a few minutes. Oh, to be 23 years old again with good knees!

Can't wait to get back there. I WILL be there for the 15/16 ski season!

EDIT: Didn't realize how cold it was in Colorado right now, at least in the Denver area. Brrrr! I'd still rather be there than here, though!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It was cold out there, we left Estes Park this morning a day early. Highway 36 was snowpacked all the way to Boulder. Truck said it was 0, winds blowing snow all over. It got worse as we headed east on I-70. Down to -1, almost complete white out conditions towards Kansas line. Glad to be back tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I don't see what the draw is. I looked at the webcam and all I could see was a black screen with some sort of white stonehengey-looking thing. Oh well, I'm heading south on Sunday. Maybe then I'll feel better about looking at snow.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #13

Copper's Center Village cam shows the base area near one of their lifts. You can see all the people walking around with their skis and snowboards, all dressed up in winter clothing, snow all around, riding the lift, skiing down the mountain:

Copper Mountain - Center Village HD Cam

*sigh*

I swear, I want to walk over to my boss' cube today, hand in my resignation effectively immediately, and jump on a plane back to Colorado. If my company's stock price was double what it is today, I'd do just that (and I'm not joking).
Old 11-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

You know, eventually you will get too old to enjoy skiing. I think you should immediately take some vacation time and GO. You need to enjoy this now, while you still can! So what if it delays ER by a couple of weeks. I can tell you that for me, age 66 (my present age) would be way too old for this sort of thing.

Can you do that? Maybe you could make up some sort of excuse to make it seem more urgent to your management. Tell them you are feeling extremely burned out and having panic attacks related to work issues, or something like that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
If my company's stock price was double what it is today, I'd do just that (and I'm not joking).
I remember a big Megacorp meeting in NYC back in 1999. It was a major reorg and my Director got hosed big time. At the time our stock price was ~$67. As we were walking back to the train station he told me "As soon as the stock hits $70 I'm outta here!". Of course, it never went more than a couple pennies higher, and he ended up working 4 more years.

I'll say to you what I said to him then, just as a warning. If you have so much of your net worth in your company stock that it controls your choices, you might want to reallocate (if you're allowed to).
old memories for me as well
Old 11-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

old memories for me as well

During college I took off a year and was a ski bum in Vail. Unfortunately it wasn't a very good snow year but taught me that ski bum wasn't the career I wanted ;-)
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #17

Quote:
You know, eventually you will get too old to enjoy skiing. I think you should immediately take some vacation time and GO. You need to enjoy this now, while you still can! So what if it delays ER by a couple of weeks. I can tell you that for me, age 66 (my present age) would be way too old for this sort of thing.

Can you do that? Maybe you could make up some sort of excuse to make it seem more urgent to your management. Tell them you are feeling extremely burned out and having panic attacks related to work issues, or something like that.
I could, as finances and PTO time wouldn't be an issue (I have 6 weeks of PTO time built up). However, because I'm in a critical role in Support, people would continue contacting me even though I tell them I'm not checking email, or even turned off my phone. And as much fun as the break itself might be, coming back to a weeks' worth of BS that would pile up in my absence wouldn't be worth it.

I'd rather just suffer through the home stretch I'm in until I'm fully vested and can quit (which will be early next year), and then I can do what I want, when I want, with no boss or job hanging over my head.

As far as health, I'm in my late 40's and (thank God) in good health. My knees are a little wonky, but no more so than when I was in my 20's and skiing. I just avoid bumps (always hated moguls anyway) and go more for nice green and blue runs. I'm more of an easy going cruiser - I just like to get out on the mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'll say to you what I said to him then, just as a warning. If you have so much of your net worth in your company stock that it controls your choices, you might want to reallocate (if you're allowed to).
Valid point, and yes, I do need to diversify, but I'm going to let what I have ride a little bit more before I do, because I do truly believe there's more upside where I'm at. I'm not just saying that because I "drank the Kool-Aid", but because I see both the good and the bad, and still believe there's upside. Once I leave, I will probably take anywhere from 30-50% out and diversify. I still want a significant amount in the stock because I do think it will continue to do well over the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
During college I took off a year and was a ski bum in Vail. Unfortunately it wasn't a very good snow year but taught me that ski bum wasn't the career I wanted ;-)
I wouldn't want to do it unless I'm FIREd. But one thing I've always wanted to do is spend a season in Vail with no job or boss hanging over my head. Maybe "bum" is the wrong word - think "man of leisure" instead
Old 11-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I'm okay with "bum"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #19

Quote:
You know, eventually you will get too old to enjoy skiing.
There is a poster at my favorite ski spot that reads "You don't stop skiing because you get old -- you get old because you stop skiing!"

I routinely find myself riding the lift with people in their 70s and even 80s. And they are generally better skiers than I am.

I have to admit that almost all of these senior skiers are men. I don't know the reason for it. My guess is that older women may be more prone to injury (broken bones) due to osteoporosis, so they avoid activities like this.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I semi-retired at 43 and moved to Tahoe specifically because I wanted to ski more than once or twice a year. At 60, I go 2 or 3 times a week and never get tired of it. When you ski regularly your skills improve to the point where you don't worry too much about falls as long as you ski conservatively.

The issue about broken bones is to wait until there is good snow and lots of open terrain, and go early and leave when the hordes show up. After noon there is a much higher likelihood of a drunk/high snowboarder running into you!