Join Early Retirement Today

Just visited Panama City & Bocas del Toro Panama...
Old 06-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Just visited Panama City & Bocas del Toro Panama...

Hello,

I'm not retired but within that 5 yr mark if things go as planned. I've considered spending part of my retirement time living in a warmer climate than Seattle WA from Jan-May timeframe.

I've visited Thailand (I know, I know) and the Philippines up until this point when I visited Panama for the first time June of 2013.

It was a quick trip with one day in Panama City being tourist for a day and 5 days in Bocas del Toro (just 300 miles away) again just being a tourist and hanging out.

Initial thoughts are living expenses would be ~ 50% less than Seattle WA. Folks are real nice and lots of ex-pat types. Nice and warm of course and not as much of the adult playground atmosphere like Thailand for PI (from what I saw).

I'm wondering if other forum members have information regarding the city "David" in Panama?
Panama City is a nice big city and Bocas was more of a smallish surfer, hostel, backpacker crowd from what I could see.

So far I'm having a hard time finding a "warmer/dryer" climate that does't have a really sticky humid factor as well

Thanks in advance. Cheers.
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've never been there, but I was interested in Panama for a while years ago and read up on it.

From all accounts, David is hot-very hot, as in caliente. Sticky as well.

There are a few pix of David in this mix of photos from Google:
david panama - Google Search

Many folks from the Pacific North Wet winter in Mazatlan. We liked it.

Baja looks interesting to me lately. Ensenada is said to have a nice climate.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I've never been there, but I was interested in Panama for a while years ago and read up on it.

From all accounts, David is hot-very hot, as in caliente. Sticky as well.

There are a few pix of David in this mix of photos from Google:
david panama - Google Search

Many folks from the Pacific North Wet winter in Mazatlan. We liked it.

Baja looks interesting to me lately. Ensenada is said to have a nice climate.
Thanks Ed TG-- I was also thinking the Baja as an option and have been to Cabo several times although that is vacation stuff vs. living stuff when I visit.

I did read one review on Trip Advisor that said David Panama was "Hot, crowded, and not appealing" by one reviewer.

Thanks again for the feedback and links to pics. Cheers.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

For retirement, you might consider Guadalajara or the Lake Chapala area. Great climate, I hear. Lake Chapala has been described as "Mexico with training wheels".
Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you liked Panama then maybe you should check out Boquete!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We saw a House Hunter's International show living in a high rise condo in Panama City. It looked like an intriguing lifestyle.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Look around Volcan as well -- nicer climate than David and cheaper than Boquete (although I've seen reasonable prices near Boquete online recently).
sparkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The weather is nice in Volcan and Boquete, but there is nothing to do there.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
For retirement, you might consider Guadalajara or the Lake Chapala area. Great climate, I hear. Lake Chapala has been described as "Mexico with training wheels".
"Mexico on training wheels" that is funny and thanks for the tip on Guadalajara!! I will do some research on the interweb
Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
If you liked Panama then maybe you should check out Boquete!
You know, since I've been back I've heard more about Boquete. I'll check it out!!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The weather is nice in Volcan and Boquete, but there is nothing to do there.
Shoot, the "nothing to do" part would be a drawback. I'm a fitness friendly kind of guy. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Somewhere, latitude and altitude combine to make a steady temperature that suits many. Boquete and Volcan are candidates.
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
Somewhere, latitude and altitude combine to make a steady temperature that suits many. Boquete and Volcan are candidates.
Thanks again. I did do a little research on these locations but want to do more. Altitude might be the key to cooler/less humid climate. Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
gone traveling

Can you give some more compare/contrast of Panama to Philippines and Thailand. Spent much time in the latter two, both being OK retirement destinations but each with some drawbacks too (nothing perfect). Have not been to Panama, spent time only in Costa Rica. Curious about ecuador too.

Anyway, more insight helpful. thanks for post in advance. Been expat for 25 years mostly in Asia so far....doubt i will ever be able to "settle down" to retirement in USA at some point....so searching for a few alternate locations to bounce around. must be some Gypsy blood in me... can't sit still.......
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Can you give some more compare/contrast of Panama to Philippines and Thailand. Spent much time in the latter two, both being OK retirement destinations but each with some drawbacks too (nothing perfect). Have not been to Panama, spent time only in Costa Rica. Curious about ecuador too.

Anyway, more insight helpful. thanks for post in advance. Been expat for 25 years mostly in Asia so far....doubt i will ever be able to "settle down" to retirement in USA at some point....so searching for a few alternate locations to bounce around. must be some Gypsy blood in me... can't sit still.......
Sorry for the delay here. First impression of Panama City and even Bocas del Toro also in Panama is this is not a 3rd world country. With my last three trips being in SE Asia I was expecting about the same infrastructure wise but was pleasantly surprised that is was: cleaner, had sidewalks (continuous), wifi, good transportation, etc.

You won't get the full on adult playground factor but then again nothing really compares in SE Asia in that dept. So I'm guessing if Pattaya Thailand is in your wheelhouse you'd be disappointed on that front.

Costs are about half of the U.S. vs. maybe 1/3 for SE Asia. Food was good. It would help to know some Spanish but certainly not mandatory. If you have any specific questions just let me know.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I moved to Hawaii and have never looked back.......like anywhere else, there are humid places here but also very "normal" places, except, in the winter it is 73 degrees.
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We live in PV with numerous expats from Seattle and California. January to June is definitely a problem but Nov 1 - April 30 is great. Our friends from Seattle who live there full time escape to the mountains (San Miguel de Allende) in the summer.

I think we have all concluded that no one place is good year round. Even Hawaii is very humid even though the Trade Winds cool you off. Plus it is very expensive.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We live in PV with numerous expats from Seattle and California. January to June is definitely a problem but Nov 1 - April 30 is great. Our friends from Seattle who live there full time escape to the mountains (San Miguel de Allende) in the summer.

I think we have all concluded that no one place is good year round. Even Hawaii is very humid even though the Trade Winds cool you off. Plus it is very expensive.
Thanks for the input. I'm the OP and just for clarification on the above info it says Jan-June is not good but Nov-April is good? Maybe May-Oct is not good?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post

A very thoughtful observation, Kieth. We would rotate to Bellingham instead of SMA as long as we could.

Puebla has attracted my interest lately. 7000+ ft (means fewer bugs). Weather, industry, culture, relative security. Problem: you can't see the Pacific from there. PV is on the radar, though.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #20
gone traveling

Good insight. So as far as I can tell, Panama is likely not a whole lot cheaper than a smaller mid-west city ( typically cost of living runs about half the prices of places like SFO or Seattle in basic living costs....housing probably even less)....

So panama may not be much of a bargain place compared to thailand or philippines, But really I like the idea of an alternative to SE Asia ....may be a few hours easier to get to, less time zone management, geographic and climate diversity etc. Probably a reasonable 4 months per year place.

I intend to hop around -- 4 months stateside, 4 months SE asia, and 4 months somewhere else in central or south america..... game plan forming.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
david, international living, panama