Just when I thought I was out - they pull me back in

Retired Expat

Full time employment: Posting here.
Thoughts about going back?

8 years retired and no complaints, keep fairly busy. But recently Linkedin has been sending me notices that people are reading my profile and do I want to apply for several jobs that would be kind of perfect for me.

Well I was tempted; the money, the sense of accomplishment, the challenge etc.

I worked in high end construction and managed projects often as the owners agent, CM or GC and held my companies license in 4 states.. But we bought a new house and it needs pretty much a gut renovation that I would oversee. So thoughts of going back were put on hold..

Acting as the architect, general contractor, designer, engineer etc since my knowledge is so much greater than the locals where we live. Well a week into the project and my body clock has me waking up at 5 or 5:30 am every morning again just like when I was working, on site by 7:30am and last one out and locking up at 7:30 every night and most Saturdays. My working aggressive nature is back. Every sentence ends with “cuando” now...when? It will be finished next week....when? Ahh Wednesday... when on Wednesday? You get the picture. I can’t accept no for an answer anymore and am that pushy, NY exec who wants everything for less, and sooner.. this is who and what I was and had lost that side of me. But there it was just waiting to come out. So a little reminder is enough and have zero desire to get a real job or go back to work now!

Some of the sub contractors on the job are pushing me to go into business with them? They like the organization, details, clear lists of tasks and working with someone who anticipates their questions and needs. I think I hate it... Anybody else go back for some reason only to have it reaffirm that your work life is over?

I was usually good at logistics, but really disliked it. But somehow those kinds of things ended up in my lap during my career because I could figure out what to do rather quickly....

No, didn’t go back to work.

I have however spent serious efforts planning elaborate European travel. We have a great time, but I often end up resenting the huge amount of work it takes ahead of time. Pretty much my chore, DH is just happy to go along with whatever. I usually have very specific goals and a fascination with history, culture, and decorative arts. So it’s my burden! Finding balance has been a challenge.

Last edited:
I retired 7 years ago at 52....... I am getting several message / emails from Linkedin as well....... I find myself looking at the jobs out there and I know I would bring value to several of these companies within their IT groups........ But, I sure do enjoy retirement ..... No regrets ..... but it is fun to look

. I think I hate it... Anybody else go back for some reason only to have it reaffirm that your work life is over?

I won't rehash my retired/unretired saga here, but you can read all about it here:

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/a-sunday-night-confession-106563.html

Today, I am hating what I signed up for. Long story short, although I had NO REAL good reason to go back to w*rk, I did so out of COVID-induced boredom. In the 6 years I was retired (prior to this year), I was never, EVER bored. Nonetheless, this year was a challenge with staying home. So, I took on a couple of contract assignments (working from home) that seemed to be *almost* perfect: Pick my hours, work from home, excellent pay. Well...

Guess what? It's still a J-*-B and I am not thrilled with it. While what I have been doing is somewhat interesting and something I didn't think I would ever do...all in all, I don't like it and I really don't like some of the politics that seem to come with almost EVERY J*B OUT THERE! But, not all is lost...

The current contract that I am working will be done NLT the end of this year and perhaps as early as this week. If it extended any longer than that, I would elect to not extend the contract. However, I made a deal...so I am sticking with it for now. I am now reveling in the oh-so-fantastic feeling that accompanies being "a short timer" and look very forward to regaining my freedom. Since I have taken on these past contracts, some projects have built up around the house...so that will keep me occupied until our pre-COVID routine returns. The headhunter who placed me probably won't be thrilled that I will be blocking his number. ;)

Bottom line...going back to w*rk was a terrible idea for me and I will NOT be doing that again. :D

Oh, and one last thing. Delete Linkedin, would ya?!? :) And no...there is no need to keep it to "keep in touch with folks"; if they are THAT important, then let 'em CALL you.

Last edited:
I retired a little over five years ago at age 50. My wife joined me two years ago (took a lot of convincing her that it would all work financially)

My job was a high profile one, I traveled a lot, spoke at conferences, met with customers, gave technical sessions, wrote all of the time - magazine articles, books, blogs. Spent more than 50% of the year in hotels/on the road, three - sometimes four - cities a week. It was exhausting and I'd been doing it for decades.

When I retired, I also retired my old email, linkedin, facebook, twitter, etc etc etc. Adopted a new username and basically "disappeared" (unless I wanted to maintain contact, I would email those people with my new email).

I've been asked a few times if I wouldn't mind coming to a conference to speak for old times sake. I've always said the same thing "that sounds a lot like work - thanks but no thanks".

just been enjoying the peace and quiet. This year didn't bore my wife and me, quite the opposite. We mothballed our condo downtown and moved full time into our cabin. Now we are thinking about buying a forever home away from too many people on some land and getting rid of the condo & (small) cabin.

I cannot imagine ever going back and doing what I used to do.

I echo others in saying "delete your account" :) best thing I ever did.

Retired 5 years ago, went back three (!) times to train/orient new supervisors.
By the third time back, the days were longer, the work even more tedious.
At the end of the last orientation, I told my boss I was REALLY done this time--lol.
They haven't called me back.

I have zero desire to go back, and that feeling has been there since day 1 of ER. If by some strange quirk of fate I ever did go back, I think I'd last 2 days at most. I

When I retired, I figured if I was to come go to work it'd have to be for a whole lotta money. But if they paid me a whole lotta money I'd they'd expect a lot from me so I'd have to work very hard. No way. Nobody can pull me back in if I don't let them.

When I left my VP asked if I was open to consulting. My answer: H*ll no.

I have kept my professional license in full effect $555 in September ago for the year or 2 years. I keep up with my professional reading and 1-2 conferences a year. But I will not go back to 35+ patients a day.
I have not worked professionally since may 2016.

I have kept my professional license in full effect $555 in September ago for the year or 2 years.

Late last summer I stopped taking new law matters (business trial lawyer), and in January ended my office lease and moved my practice home to wind down a few remaining matters that were going to settle. I was then convinced to take on one new matter in March, but only to attempt pre-lawsuit resolution (which occurred). The last matter formally settled in November (10 months to iron out a settlement agreement -- sheesh!).

The main point of "retiring" from law was no longer having my own firm and my own clients -- I was done with that. I enjoy helping solve business disputes, and was asked about doing so for other people (including mediating). In the end, and as the time has now come up to either renew the license at full price or go inactive, I chose the latter (my wife was also an attorney and she went inactive as well). An interesting discussion was whether to actually "resign" the licenses and not pay the inactive fee. I strongly suspect my wife will never return to the practice of law (we're both in our early 60's), so she may resign next year or so.

I doubt I will return other than as a consultant, and may reactivate in a couple of years if convinced it's worth my while. The enticing part is that it's a rather "closed-end" job (like a short contract) trying to solve the dispute -- otherwise, on to the actual litigators!

Last edited:
This is why I started teaching as an adjunct. After retiring, I had already gone back once on a consulting gig, and found myself looking at local j*bs and also linkedin. But if I were to do that, what was the point of retiring?

So instead I gave into the temptation by teaching a class. Even that plan has had its faults, as I am now tenured full time, and as I type this I am taking a few minute break while in the midst of grading final projects. :eek:

So, don't do it. :)

Retired at 45, had 2 years of fun and then decided to go back last November. An older, wiser easy-going friend was to be my boss so I figured this might be the golden ticket I had always been missing all my career having always worked for slave-driving a$$holes.

WRONG.

After 2 weeks we got into the 2 x per day status meetings aka every damn job I'd ever had before, nice easy-going boss got overruled by senior management so it made no difference. Normal service was resumed and got reminded quickly why I retired.

Didn't want to offend the old friend so lasted out until June 2020 and got out blaming Covid risk etc.

Never, ever, ever can I repeat? EVER again. I promise this time. No stone left unturned.

Oh, and one last thing. Delete Linkedin, would ya?!? :) And no...there is no need to keep it to "keep in touch with folks"; if they are THAT important, then let 'em CALL you.

+1!!!

Not that I'd ever have anything to do with any type of 'social media', but I'm hoping to retire in a little over 4 years and the last thing I would consider doing would be LinkedIn. This forum is as close to online 'social' as I get. :D

Keeping a LinkedIn account after you retire is like keeping an online dating account after you get married. It's like saying, "I'm no longer on the market but maybe... Just in case..."

Pull that plug. But now you have to finish your house first. :dance:

Last edited:
I recently went back to work as a consultant. I was contacted after several companies viewed my Linked In profile and decided I had the skill set they were looking for. I refused the first few times I was contacted, then they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

So far it has been great as far as the mental stimulation and great peer interactions solving challenging issues. Another good part is that so far, meetings have been kept to a minimum and I have no management responsibility. I am getting up rather early every day and don't mind being inside every day since it is winter.

However, I am looking forward to spring time when this will be over and I'll be back to spending the majority of each day outside again getting plenty of exercise.

Last edited:
I won't rehash my retired/unretired saga here, but you can read all about it here:

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/a-sunday-night-confession-106563.html

Today, I am hating what I signed up for. Long story short, although I had NO REAL good reason to go back to w*rk, I did so out of COVID-induced boredom. In the 6 years I was retired (prior to this year), I was never, EVER bored. Nonetheless, this year was a challenge with staying home. So, I took on a couple of contract assignments (working from home) that seemed to be *almost* perfect: Pick my hours, work from home, excellent pay. Well...

Guess what? It's still a J-*-B and I am not thrilled with it. While what I have been doing is somewhat interesting and something I didn't think I would ever do...all in all, I don't like it and I really don't like some of the politics that seem to come with almost EVERY J*B OUT THERE! But, not all is lost...

The current contract that I am working will be done NLT the end of this year and perhaps as early as this week. If it extended any longer than that, I would elect to not extend the contract. However, I made a deal...so I am sticking with it for now. I am now reveling in the oh-so-fantastic feeling that accompanies being "a short timer" and look very forward to regaining my freedom. Since I have taken on these past contracts, some projects have built up around the house...so that will keep me occupied until our pre-COVID routine returns. The headhunter who placed me probably won't be thrilled that I will be blocking his number. ;)

Bottom line...going back to w*rk was a terrible idea for me and I will NOT be doing that again. :D

This update certainly belongs on your original thread!

I hope you get out from under it very soon!!

Last edited:
I came back to the same mega-corp last June after 2 years retirement. A few reasons that helped me to decide to go back

1. Sitting at home during COVID
2. Working from home
3. We were building a new home, additional earning is good.
4. Interesting works
4. I can leave anytime if it is no longer (as of now, I am still having fun)

My contract will be expired in April 2021 - mega-corp wants another 9 months contract, I probably go for it.

Back
Top Bottom