Join Early Retirement Today

Keep retirement costs low: become homeless
Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Keep retirement costs low: become homeless

I think this is worth a read/listen:
Homeless Man Leaves Behind Surprise: $4 Million : NPR

This homeless guy left a $4 million estate. He apparently used other people's telephones to manage his portfolio.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Although he was supposedly an atheist, it seems like his decision was based on spiritual, rather than financial reasons. Or maybe it was based on curiousity.

Even in Phoenix he could have bought a modest house and still would have had plenty left over to live on and to leave to the mission and NPR.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Or how about this definition for him: weird eccentric.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Seems odd that an atheist would leave money to a Catholic mission. Come to think of it, the whole story seems odd. I hope no one gave him money while he was on the street, thinking he was down on his luck and needing a few bucks for his next meal.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Has anyone noticed that most of the people who do this are single ? Does marriage save people from being overly eccentric ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Has anyone noticed that most of the people who do this are single ? Does marriage save people from being overly eccentric ?
A person can be just as eccentric married as single.
Marriage has absolutely nothing to do with it.
theloneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #7

I think his eccentricity may have *prevented* marriage. I'm a millionaire but own no car or house. Who would believe that?

I think we can answer the question about why a Catholic charity received money - it's because of the nurse who was kind to him. She works for that mission, the mission received some money. And so did Belle! I think there might be a bit of a romantic thing in there somewhere....either that or she's a gold-digger....
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think so. To the extent that your observation is true, I'd say it's more likely because marriage brings with it some degree of "veto power" over these "overly eccentric" lifestyles. Or because their eccentricity makes them less desirable to potential partners.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #9

For some reason, I didn't get the idea she was a gold digger. Just a kind lady who felt sorry for this guy for whatever reason. I mean, look how he lived. You would have to feel sorry for someone that chooses to live like that. Or I would, anyway. I'd be thinking "what happened to this poor guy that made him such a weirdo."
On the other hand, he might have been really interesting to talk to. With his background and knowledge--and his current experience as a hobo--I would have found it fascinating to learn how his mind worked. Maybe she's the only one who took the time to really try and understand him? Just a thought.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #10

Orchidflower, that may indeed be true, but I'm just a skeptic
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

He'd be right at home up here. Not everyone accepts membership in our materialism-centric culture.
Speaking purely as a (married) weirdo myself.
No, I'm not homeless (knock on wood). But some of my best times have been when I was living out of a backpack, traveling.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I am intensely curious as to why/how he led the life he did....
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I know an apparently homeless woman at the coffee shop. She usually carries a copy of “Forbes” with her or a finance book, favoring a biography of someone like Bogle. She likes that particular coffee shop because they allow her to stay there undisturbed for hours, when they close, goes to another one across the street, doesn’t seem to buy anything. She does have a cell phone, is always very clean and well groomed, goes to a membership gym where I assume she showers. I’ve never been able to pin her down about where she lives, maybe stays in shelters or sometimes with relatives in the suburbs.

Could be the man in the article was “off.” That certainly seems the case with my acquaintance. SO avoids her because she is a bit crazy; but who wouldn’t be at the bottom of the economic chain? I try to talk to her about once a month which seems to be my limit. Everything for her is in the future, she will start a catering business, drive a cab, there is an affordable room nearby.

She had experience helping disabled people, working as a companion; saw her in action one day helping a semi-blind old guy get a ride home. He thought every car was a cab, and waved his cane at it. No one else tried to help him or even notice he was in trouble. She talked someone into leaving their coffee behind and giving the guy a ride home.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Don't be so quick to judge. He also has a master's degree in engineering from a good Midwestern university. Wait, I also have a master's degree in engineering from a good Midwestern university.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Don't be so quick to judge. He also has a master's degree in engineering from a good Midwestern university. Wait, I also have a master's degree in engineering from a good Midwestern university.

and you are also single !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps he is a romantic, and took a vow of poverty to mourn the loss of the love of his life.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe not. It does seem to prevent becoming a millionaire, though.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Whoops! I thought this was another thread about living in an RV during retirement!

Audrey

P.S. Houseless, but not homeless!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Perhaps he is a romantic, and took a vow of poverty to mourn the loss of the love of his life.
Interesting theory. I hope you're not right, but I bet you are.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I am intensely curious as to why/how he led the life he did....
Maybe he was trying to go one up on Joe Dominguez...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote