Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
NY, as usual, is a PITA. Can't just not renew, have to certify that that you will never, ever practice anywhere. ...
So, let's say that a lawyer licensed in NY retires, moves outside of NY and tells them to pound sand on their annual fee and refuses to certify that they will never, ever practice elsewhere.... what are they gonna do?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did not renew my PMP or my ASQ ISO auditing certifications. Both of which I didn't use much but I was forced to get earlier in my career by a moron of a boss who was a certification freak.

I didn't feel bad at all as I do not plan to ever work again....
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired two years ago. The first year I kept my licenses active just in case I wanted to work once in a while. Never worked a day. The second year I put it on inactive status which allows me to re-activate it by paying the state some money and catching up on continuing ed. This year I am going to finally let it lapse. I feel that if I haven't worked in three years I haven't kept up with the field and would not totally feel comfortable working again, plus if I haven't felt the need or want to work, I am wasting money keeping the license active.
I was licensed in another state too and had no problem giving that one up, as I never did work there.
I get those who keep their licenses/certification. We put a lot of time, money and effort to get them. For some it is a part of their identity.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
So, let's say that a lawyer licensed in NY retires, moves outside of NY and tells them to pound sand on their annual fee and refuses to certify that they will never, ever practice elsewhere.... what are they gonna do?
You'll have to check back with me in a couple of years on that one . . .

A lot of older lawyers simply lapse. As far as I know, they are not (currently) being hunted down. The problem would most likely come in if one wanted to practice, and would seek admission, in another state. State #2 might very well (and requirements obviously vary from state to state) require a certificate of good standing from NY. Now, if you were already admitted in State #2, that would be a different story.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I guess they could cancel your license to practice law in NY.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
I dropped my membership to the Society of Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters, CPCU, the first year after ER. I do maintain my PC insurance license since I do still consult with the new owner of my business and would be available to take the wheel if he runs into an emergency and needs help immediately. When he's done paying me off in 8 more years I'm going to burn my PC license with a cool drink in my hand.

Most people who were in the insurance industry don't tell people what they used to do. I don't tell anybody. I've noticed other occupations tend to let people know what they used to do almost immediately. "How do you know there's a (name the occupation) at a cocktail party ? They'll tell you".....
Hey Stormy, I have one of your hats BTW...

I never liked it when I'd either get introduced as a dentist or asked what I did for a living. Inevitably I'd have to hear about someone's ongoing dental problems, dental treatment, painful episodes....How their dentist is screwing them...I much preferred professional anonymity.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I went inactive at my state bar and then they sent me a bill for $150.00. That would be the funds I budgeted for the golf club, so no that won't due. I had to resign in order not to have the privilege to pay that money. I did not think twice, but it did feel weird.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Never certified, but definitely certifiable...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #49

In Dec went inactive as a CPA. Felt a bit funny, but now I feel good about having done that. Just got a bill from the state telling me I need to pay a penalty for not renewing my business license (as a CPA). The penalty for failure to pay may include the loss of my professional license!
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
As a CPA, I'm allowed to go to "registered" status versus full licensure. It's not that expensive and I'll likely keep it for quite some time - maybe forever. Not sure if your certification has anything like that, but I can absolutely understand the feeling. It was easy to give up my job, but my certification/license will be much harder.

I do not know if that is what it is called, but that is also what I do...

I keep the license and can work if I need, but will be required to do CE.... not sure if I have to make up what was missed or just start again....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I guess they could cancel your license to practice law in NY.
Yep! But peeking on over there it looks as if there is a bit of a difference between cancellation (suspension) and termination with extreme prejudice (disbarment) ! I found a sample motion on the website for the Appellate Division First Department for attorneys requesting reinstatement. Not surprisingly, one of the exhibits is a receipt showing payment of all past due fees.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m retired. Period. Since then I worked on destroying history/accolades that are no longer relevant. When my folks passed away I remember the emotion as what to do with their licenses, etc. Personal choice that depends on circumstances.
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #53

My CPA certificate is inactive (has been for year as I didn’t practice public accounting). I stayed in a few networking groups for a few months, but quickly realized that I’m not interested in going to CFO meetings and things of that nature. I do help any recruiters who contact me with referrals if I can, but don’t make any attempt to maintain a professional network other than keeping in touch with people I worked with who are also friends.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I haven't read all of this- have been traveling in India (how's that for a flamboyant excuse?), but my professional society has a good solution. I'm a retired actuary and no longer have to pay dues since I no longer make any money from actuarial work. I may keep the designation but I haven't met Continuing Ed requirements so I can't do most work, which is fine with me.

I attended one meeting since retiring- in Toronto- because I liked the destination and we get a good break on the hotel room costs. Retired members used to be able to get free registration (including a few meals and some cocktail receptions) but now there are so many retired Baby Boomers guzzling free booze that we have to pay 50% of normal registration. I truly enjoyed meeting people I've known for decades and noticed with some amusement that the ones who were still in "rainmaking" mode greeted me cordially and then went looking for better prospects.

There's a meeting in Honolulu in late 2019 and I'll probably attend- haven't been to Hawaii and my favorite cruise line has a 7-day between Honolulu and Molokai.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

Funny thread this morning..I too am at a crossroads with my certification: PHR in HR. It was a very hard certification to pass and the thought of letting it lapse is a very odd feeling. It seems that leaving work was less stressful than letting the certification expire. I would have to study and take the test again once it expires and honestly that is not for me anymore. Still....it is an odd feeling. But not as odd a feeling as going back to be an HR Director....yeah...never again!
Kristinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #56
gone traveling

Never giving up my general contractors license. Ever. It can be transferred to a new qualifier upon my demise. Too hard to get and too valuable to give up.
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelek View Post
Never giving up my general contractors license. Ever. It can be transferred to a new qualifier upon my demise. Too hard to get and too valuable to give up.
I wish I could sell my designations and licenses.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-31-18 View Post
I get it, too. Am an active member of the Bar in five states. (Most practicing lawyers are active in one, maybe two.) Have been torturing myself trying to decide which ones to let go. Can’t imagine cutting off all five. But any more than two is a waste. I could move to another state in retirement but am highly unlikely to change states twice.
I am admitted in 3 states. I expect I'll stay active for at least a few years while I test the retirement waters, then go on retired status. It's less than $1000 per year.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #59

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
I let my multi state architectural license lapse, as well as a national certification as a architectural plans examiner. Once I ER'd, I knew I wasn't going to go back to it.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I am letting my PE (in another state, far, far away) lapse at last.

I never stamped anything. I don't even own a stamp.

However, it has helped me many, many times find work around the world. In my business, a PE seems to be rare and a US PE gets respect.

It has been costing several hundreds every two years.

I happen to be working part-time 12 minutes from home now. The PE helped. Instant street cred.

This is the end, though. It is hard to leave. I had a lot of fun. There still are neat jobs out there but I am not going to die in a damn chair. I want to play.