Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Keeping Things in Perspective
Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Keeping Things in Perspective

I've been as hurt by the recent market problems as anyone.

Just thought I'd share an email I sent to some friends with whom I communicate regularly on financial and life thins:
Just to put a little perspective into this financial stuff...

Today <my wife>, (our dog) and I left our house about 1000, drove about an hour to a point in VT where there is a ferry to Ticonderoga, NY (across lake Champlain). We drove a bit to a point we had scoped out, hiked an hour to a beautiful spot that had a wonderful view of Lake George with the Adironcacks (in all their fall color) rising in front of us. Ate lunch there, hiked back, drove back to VT. Ate pasta for dinner, drank a little wine. Life is good.

I completely understand that there are those for whom the latest problems make it impossible to have my attitude but, for reasons that have to do with planning and luck, I'm fortunate to have it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the slice of life.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

That same outlook is why we decided to buy tickets for a music festival next month--life is short, and you better enjoy some of it now!

That sounds like a lovely trip, and one to help you keep perspective in all this mess.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Today <my wife>, (our dog) and I left our house about 1000, drove about an hour to a point in VT where there is a ferry to Ticonderoga, NY (across lake Champlain). We drove a bit to a point we had scoped out, hiked an hour to a beautiful spot that had a wonderful view of Lake George with the Adironcacks (in all their fall color) rising in front of us. Ate lunch there, hiked back, drove back to VT. Ate pasta for dinner, drank a little wine. Life is good.

I completely understand that there are those for whom the latest problems make it impossible to have my attitude but, for reasons that have to do with planning and luck, I'm fortunate to have it.
Due to planning (and possibly being slightly nutz), I have the same attitude that "life is good"....even if the economy sucks right now.

We somewhat 'mirrored' your excursion last week. We traveled from IL to sight-see and taste-test the Northeast. We went to Port Kent, NY. and caught the ferry to Burlington, VT. Visited the Vermont Teddy Bear Co. and built a bear, then we ate lunch there....the teddy bear got stuffed. From there it was off to Cold Hollow Cider Mill for a tour & samples, along with a couple of 'cider steamed' hotdogs, an apple cider donut, and some ice cold milk.....YUMMY! Also bought some BBQ sauces and marinades. Next we hit the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory for a tour and (of course) ice cream! Then we headed out to our hotel to relax and digest!

Then it was off to eat our way through NH, ME (lobster, lobster, and more lobster), MA, CT, NY (again), and PA (the Amish sure know how to stuff your belly with delicious home-cooking!).

We were gone for 9 days, and seldom heard or saw any news, and even more seldom checked anything online except email and weather.

Life truly is good!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
You Are Here Now
Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

You Are Here Now

I still maintain an office at the company complex where I used to work. I go in when I want to work on one of my own projects.

Last week I went in and heard about a long time employee that I knew for years. His name was Lance and he had a heart attack and didn't make it.

I went in today and there was a photo of Lance on the wall in the lunch room with his bio.

I saw another old friend, Buck, and I said, "Are you on a project here now."? He said, "No, I came in for Mark."

Mark is a young guy maybe late twenties. Short hair, real tall, long gotee. I used to see him almost every day walking down the hall.

Killed on his motorcycle yesterday.

I said to Buck, "That's why I got out early. I want at least 10 good years.

Buy that sailboat this week, ask that woman to dance, take that risk, you are here now.

b.
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
You Are Here Now

Buy that sailboat this week, ask that woman to dance, take that risk, you are here now.

b.
You've got that right!

Quote:
For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appeareth for a little time, and then vanishes away. (James 4:14 in the Bible)
Old 10-18-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Lovely post friar...thanks, I think we all needed that.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post

We somewhat 'mirrored' your excursion last week. We traveled from IL to sight-see and taste-test the Northeast. We went to Port Kent, NY. and caught the ferry to Burlington, VT. Visited the Vermont Teddy Bear Co. and built a bear, then we ate lunch there....the teddy bear got stuffed. From there it was off to Cold Hollow Cider Mill for a tour & samples, along with a couple of 'cider steamed' hotdogs, an apple cider donut, and some ice cold milk.....YUMMY! Also bought some BBQ sauces and marinades. Next we hit the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory for a tour and (of course) ice cream! Then we headed out to our hotel to relax and digest!
You were right close by to where I live - about 8 miles from the Teddy Bear factory. We had guests for a few days of "leaf-peeping" last week and also hit Ben and Jerry's for the tour.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #9

i worked my butt off today. got home hot and sweaty. mud splattered all over me. grease smeared on me. and to add insult to injury, then it rained on me. what a great day; my first trail ride since summer broke. did a beach ride, did a wet & sloppy trail ride, toured the area, got drenched in a sunshower. my job today was to have a good time & be happy and i worked very hard at it.

back to reality, looking over finances, considering the recent crash. so what if even the world ends tomorrow. i'm just so glad we've got these fabulous front row seats.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:08 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
You were right close by to where I live - about 8 miles from the Teddy Bear factory. We had guests for a few days of "leaf-peeping" last week and also hit Ben and Jerry's for the tour.
Hey, I may have seen you there! Well, probably not, but we did hit Cold Hollow Cider Mill and Ben & Jerry's on 10/15 (last Weds). BTW, if you go there, there's a really good glass blower just down the road, and we got to watch him make a bowl, which was neat. We stayed at a B&B along route 100 between Waterbury and Stowe for a few days. On Thurs we went into Burlington and visited Lake Champlain Chocolates for a tour and samples (and bought a few things as well) on Thurs 10/16.

Missed the peak foliage, but the late foliage is gorgeous anyhow. Beautiful area.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Hey, I may have seen you there! Well, probably not, but we did hit Cold Hollow Cider Mill and Ben & Jerry's on 10/15 (last Weds).
We were there on Thursday the 9th. Last Wednesday (15th), after about 2800 miles, we got back home. The Fall colors were magnificent in NH, ME, MA, CT, and PA......the VT colors were pretty good too. And the food.....well, I think I may have doubled in girth!
Old 10-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Wow, what a pretty day today. High today was 68 and sunny. Took the mutt on a long walk at the reservoir and plenty of people were out in their boats. Next week high's in the mid 70's. Great golfing weather. Life is pretty good even in a rocky market. And I haven't had one can of medicine today.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Saint's lost, KC lost, Missouri got stomped, my Washington Huskies are trying to deepen the basement.

I superintended three neighbors yards out back lawnmowing (I who am retired 'might' mow by Tuesday) while consoling myself with rib eyes(marinated in butter/parsley for three days) done on my Cajun Cooker II.

Per Bogle I shall press on regardless, stay the course, etc - but I don't think he was talking football.

heh heh heh - at least LSU came back and won. And my portfolio SEC yield in actual $ has my charcoal/steaks covered.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post

b.
Thanks very much for sharing your story and the reminder. It is later than we think! Now, where was that saved search on yachtworld.com.....

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Great reminder. I would also add: "Let the season of giving be yours." It doesn't have to be money. It could be time, your attention, your skills or your passion. Make the world a better place, here and now. The payback is great!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement