Join Early Retirement Today

King tides Buyer beware
Old 09-26-2020, 06:13 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

King tides Buyer beware

I wanted to share with those of you moving to Florida about King tides. I live on the Inter-coastal and watch the tides from my balcony. We are just starting into the fall King tide season and the road I live on floods everyday. It is only a few inches on my street but you still have to drive your car through saltwater if you want to go anywhere during the hours of high tide.
I see houses selling in areas where there is flooding. I really don't understand who would buy them unless they just don't know about the flooding. In the summer you would never know there was any issue. I don't think realtors are required to disclose this information. If you are moving to any coastal area, make sure you ask about king tides.

Here is a good tool to look at high tide flooding.
https://coast.noaa.gov/slr/#
Amy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are considering moving to a place where you had a nice vacation experience, slow down and think twice. Do your research.

Your vacation experience does not equal living there full time.

It could be Florida, Maine, Colorado, Arizona, California, Michigan... anywhere!

If you can't rent long term first, at least make sure to go for extended trips in all seasons. Read the newspapers. Talk to people. Stay in non-tourist areas.

I moved to South Florida for a job and stayed 3 years. I had idealized views of all the young woman I would meet. What 23 year old guy wouldn't based on TV? I didn't take into account that FL is a place where people go to "get away" from ... whatever. Drugs. Abusive relationships. Job problems. Debt. For me, it made meeting a life mate an impossible adventure. My personality wasn't up for it.

So, in my case, it wasn't king tides. It was something completely different. In my time there, I did learn about the complexities of flooding, even 10 miles inland where I lived, especially when I got a mortgage and was forced into flood insurance. I never saw a problem there, but I was there in dry years.

Many of my neighbors in my new neighborhood left before 1 year after moving from up north. Their reasons included weather (humidity), bugs/alligators, and crime. All of these were discovered after trying to set roots, instead of just 2 weeks in a cloistered hotel.

I still have a warm spot in my heart for Florida. There are so many positives. Just make sure the negatives are not a problem for you. And, yeah, flooding of every type can occur there. Don't like water? Don't move there!

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:43 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Good advice JoeWras. I'm here for work and I rent. Not my retirement place. I do love the international experience and friends in South Florida. Great diving and kayaking. For me too hot and no seasons. But every place has its pluses and minuses.
Amy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:39 AM   #4

I thought hallandale beach only had one road...A1A.

EDIT: Nevermind...they call it "...beach", but you could be 3.5 miles inland and still be in that geography.

I wonder how my old stomping ground is faring. Back when I lived there, the streets would flood in certain places at certain times of year. They paved the low spots maybe 6 or 8 inches, which solved the road problem, but there were yards and lots that still flooded. Ours was a newer house that was built higher and had at least 6 feet of fill added. Everything is on concrete pilings, but in the old days, they built too low. I bet lots of those old houses were either demolished and some new house built higher or they jacked them up.

It would be interesting to see how much the high tides have changed since I was riding my bike through the tide water.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
If you are considering moving to a place where you had a nice vacation experience, slow down and think twice. Do your research.

Your vacation experience does not equal living there full time.

It could be Florida, Maine, Colorado, Arizona, California, Michigan... anywhere!

If you can't rent long term first, at least make sure to go for extended trips in all seasons. Read the newspapers. Talk to people. Stay in non-tourist areas.

So true.

I moved to Kansas, in Overland Park for a short term job.
At first I loved it, so many new places to go and see, the people were SO polite and nice.
The weather was really gentle over the winter.
I started thinking about buying a home there, but I found after close to a year, I was bored.
Nothing new to see. No National Parks for 100's of miles.

I'm glad didn't buy a place there.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A lot of Coastal South Florida is prone to everything OP states, especially the older properties. Up here in the frozen North FLA we are not as prone. SO... select a X Flood zone or better, build or buy a Concrete home with a 160 mph + Tile roof and one will be fine, at least in our lifetime.

Saying that there are some areas within 5 miles of us that are ALWAYS under water whenever Mother Nature Coughs or Sneezes. Buyer beware. Simply do not buy a home that has flooded in the past. Unfortunately some realtors do not disclose it. YOU HAVE to ask and check. We did look extensively (3 years total) in South Florida, we visited virtually all areas we thought of as potentially desirable, on both coasts and decided against it.

The main items we looked for were. Good Elevation Certificate (+9'), concrete home, Tile Roof, Flood Zone certification (+ X), storm drains on the street.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy T View Post
I wanted to share with those of you moving to Florida about King tides. I live on the Inter-coastal and watch the tides from my balcony. We are just starting into the fall King tide season and the road I live on floods everyday. It is only a few inches on my street but you still have to drive your car through saltwater if you want to go anywhere during the hours of high tide.
I see houses selling in areas where there is flooding. I really don't understand who would buy them unless they just don't know about the flooding. In the summer you would never know there was any issue. I don't think realtors are required to disclose this information. If you are moving to any coastal area, make sure you ask about king tides.

Here is a good tool to look at high tide flooding.
https://coast.noaa.gov/slr/#

Are you trying to dissuade us Yankees from moving to Florida? :-) Too late I did that 26 years ago. Luckily I moved into the correct part of my neighbor hood, several housed flood during the recent rains from Sally. The same houses flooded during Hurricane Michael. I had water covering 6 to 8 feet up my driveway near the road, would have needed another 14" to reach my house. I'm pretty safe as I have a ditch that would take away a lot of water before
the water would rise 14"
My son and his friend took out their kayaks and paddled down the road exploring. That is the road where you see water, in front of my son's friends a, block from my house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mayfield Rd..jpg (345.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Mayfield 2.jpg (268.0 KB, 72 views)
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Are you trying to dissuade us Yankees from moving to Florida? :-) Too late
Oh well we tried.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #9

Not just Florida. I read this article about Charleston earlier this week: https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...ing-king-tide/

Quote:
Parts of the South Carolina coastline experienced major coastal flooding on Monday, kicking off the workweek with road closures and shoreline inundation. Barricades were strewn about downtown Charleston as seawater gushed into the streets. But the nearest storm? More than a thousand miles away.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

There are other risks in Florida!
Attached Images
File Type: gif 84E93268-652C-428C-8902-B14A1BBF7F7C.gif (728.3 KB, 366 views)
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Living in the area for at least 6 months is a vital necessity. And make sure at least half of the 6 months is in the lousy weather season.

A couple I know moved from Los Angeles to St. George, Utah in October. In January they put their new house for sale and decided to rent in Las Vegas for a while.

I've been to Hawaii myself. It's a great place. But do I want to live in an area where one needs access to a boat or jet plane to go anywhere else? Even parts of the same state? Hawaii is not for me. Former coworkers send photos of their cookouts, beach activities, etc. that show the many glories of living in "Paradise". I am happy for them. But, for me it would be prison. Granted, a very nice prison. But, I would feel confined.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Living in the area for at least 6 months is a vital necessity. And make sure at least half of the 6 months is in the lousy weather season.

A couple I know moved from Los Angeles to St. George, Utah in October. In January they put their new house for sale and decided to rent in Las Vegas for a while.

I've been to Hawaii myself. It's a great place. But do I want to live in an area where one needs access to a boat or jet plane to go anywhere else? Even parts of the same state? Hawaii is not for me. Former coworkers send photos of their cookouts, beach activities, etc. that show the many glories of living in "Paradise". I am happy for them. But, for me it would be prison. Granted, a very nice prison. But, I would feel confined.

SGU and LV are polar opposites. I once talked to a lady in Kanab UT. she mentioned they lived on the East coast and saw the Kanab area in TV, sold the house and retired to Kanab. I often wonder how that worked out for them. They had been in Kanab for a week when we talked.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up in North Miami Beach so know lots about Florida. Moved away when I went to college and never would move back, although Florida does have its nice points in winter. But for me it's an intellectual wasteland. I always say that whenever I visit Florida it raises the average IQ of the state by 10 points (and when my brother visits it drops 10 points)
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

D090282C-6E98-432F-8177-7FD73FFFED3F_4_5005_c.jpeg

Never move somewhere w/o living there all 4 seasons. Unless it's for employment w/an exit plan. The financial industries aligned with insurance industries interests so attempting to finance & insure that purchases mtg. can be eyeopening, consider that.

The USAs coastlines are eroding, FL is eroding, it's well worth investigating. IMO its actually essential before buying.
Most risk property thats in disclosed/questionable areas only COD, or similar.

Thats Naples not considering SHTF in construction.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #15

Went to a wedding in Ft. Lauderdale in August back in the 70's when I was a grad student. In the 90's with about equal percentage relative humidity. And the bugs!!! Ugh. Visited at other times since but never considered living there. Odd because I always dreamed of living near the ocean or a Great Lake but have ended up in parched Arizona and love it especially after our move to Red Rock country.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:27 AM   #16

Sounds like someone fell for that cheap swamp land in Florida sales pitch to build their house instead of checking it out first.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=Chuckanut

I've been to Hawaii myself. It's a great place. But do I want to live in an area where one needs access to a boat or jet plane to go anywhere else? Even parts of the same state? Hawaii is not for me. Former coworkers send photos of their cookouts, beach activities, etc. that show the many glories of living in "Paradise". I am happy for them. But, for me it would be prison. Granted, a very nice prison. But, I would feel confined.[/QUOTE]

You are not alone. Most of the folks we got to know who moved to Paradise AFTER we did have already left. One major factor is "rock fever." My SWAG is that less than 20% of folks who move here from the mainland last 5 years or less.

Our realtor even warned us about rock fever. She "prescribed" getting off the Island should we begin to feel it (the feeling of confinement suggested by Chuckanut). ONCE you prove to yourself that you CAN leave, rock fever often subsides. It certainly did for us. I will say that 2020 has been somewhat challenging. We did fly to Big Island twice (to see new grand child) just BEFORE Covid hit. So far, that's been enough "inoculation" for us to prevent rock fever even though we had to skip our annual summer sabbatical to the mid west.

More in line with the original "King Tide" subject, our tides are relatively small here and I'm not aware of any signifiant flooding issues. I do know of a spot in one of our industrial parks where sea water comes up through the drain sewers a couple of times a day. Folks think it's just "water" but it rusts out undercarriages of folks vehicles who don't keep their cars washed. The drains are well inland from the ocean, so it's not obvious what's going on.

On a separate subject, we read of a couple who bought an existing house that happened to be in the "worst" tsunami zone. The result was that they were forced to raise the entire house before they were allowed to do any rehab work on it. Apparently, they didn't do their homework or were not informed. In any case, it does behoove one to be their own advocate when it comes to tides, inundation zones, etc. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquopper View Post
I grew up in North Miami Beach so know lots about Florida. Moved away when I went to college and never would move back, although Florida does have its nice points in winter. But for me it's an intellectual wasteland. I always say that whenever I visit Florida it raises the average IQ of the state by 10 points (and when my brother visits it drops 10 points)

And when brother leaves Flordia for Georgia both states IQs improve?
Old 10-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquopper View Post
Sadly I would have to agree with you. The IQ level drops off even more the further inland you travel. The costal cities in South East Florida are for partying and beach life. For that, Florida is great.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:43 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Sadly I would have to agree with you. The IQ level drops off even more the further inland you travel. The costal cities in South East Florida are for partying and beach life. For that, Florida is great.
Yup, especially in the finance area.
However, still a great retirement place for us.