Krugman, Niall Ferguson Renew Debate Over U.S. Stimulus

I don't find the debate. Is it up anywhere?

I haven't found the debate text either, although it's sounds like more of the same old same old. I did however, find this review of it by the Freakonomics guys (Krugman vs. Ferguson: Letting the Data Speak - NYTimes.com). I don't always buy their interpretations of things, but I like this suggestion at the end.

Finally, let me suggest that Professors Ferguson and Krugman settle their dispute like gentlemen. No, I don’t mean pistols at dawn, or the modern equivalent. Instead I suggest that Professor Ferguson purchase from Professor Krugman a January 2011 put on TLT (the iShares ETF) at a strike price of 55 (which would profit if future yields were over 8 percent) at the current market price. If the two good profs would put their money where their mouths are, the whole debate may well become clearer, more civil, and more credible than the usual cheap talk, which may be our largest remaining national surplus.

Krugman is always good for a laugh. He prescribes more stimulation for a junkie.

I was fine with the initial spending to try to stop the hemorrhaging. But now that it has stablized... they should stop.

I do not support more stimulus spending. This thing is just going to have to work its way out... which will take time.

When businesses gain confidence (for the longer term... not short-term stimulus), they will hire.

Our company has had a hiring freeze for several years... they only hire replacements (for people who quit or retire)... if absolutely necessary. The second our CEO is confident... we will probably hire about 5% of our current employee count over a period of about 3 or 4 years.

I have no doubt that many other companies will do the same.

The government is not going to engineer confidence that the economy is better with short-term spending on certain target projects!

Why would it not have been better to give every U.S. citizen over 21, a certain amount, say $25,000 or $50,000 on a debit card? This way, people could have spent the money on new cars, renovating their houses, etc.....would that have stimulated the economy?

Why would it not have been better to give every U.S. citizen over 21, a certain amount, say $25,000 or $50,000 on a debit card? This way, people could have spent the money on new cars, renovating their houses, etc.....would that have stimulated the economy?

The check's in the mail... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom