Lack of drama = uninteresting

LastOfTheBoomers

Recycles dryer sheets
Our Post FIRE lives are very satisfying- travel good health etc

We do find when we see old friends and neighbors we get the feeling that our lack of drama makes us seem boring.
We don’t complain about our jobs - being tired - and other things.

Anyone else have this experience?

We do find when we see old friends and neighbors we get the feeling that our lack of drama makes us seem boring.

<raise hand>

This sounds very familiar. It takes some getting used to, but I enjoy it.

I don't think friends really want to hear people complain, unless they are bad people who want to think things are worse for other people. Personally I like hanging around people who are happy, energetic, and content.

Don't take your health for granted. I've always had great health but have had some non-life threatening issues that have lingered for over 2 years now. I'd much rather have boring good health.

+1/ when I used to work, my co workers ( including me) gravitate towards each other and share our dramas-- work and non work related. People now say I look younger, lost weight, etc etc, however my hair did not grow back.

Don't take your health for granted. I've always had great health but have had some non-life threatening issues that have lingered for over 2 years now. I'd much rather have boring good health.

As we get older there are more health issues - and they become the primary topic of conversation. My gal's Mom used to call that kind of conversation an organ recital. Miss you Betty.

I volunteer a lot and involved in our community. I'll share if they're interested, if not I don't talk about it. It's like me asking "how's work?" I really don't want to know. As long as there's nothing traumatic or life threatening, I hope others want to know we're happy.

One trend I've noticed, and possibly social media is to blame, is that it seems like people feel the need to turn the most mundane things into an epic melodrama. For instance, here's two gems from my facebook feed this morning...

"It's a train saga morning! How many trains will pass me by full this morning?" Really, a saga? Is it really that earth-shattering? Are they gonna show it on Lifetime or is it straight to DVD?

"Sometimes I'm too dedicated to my work. I am leaving for the airport at 3:30 am and I'm just getting home from work at 11 pm. Pity me." Okay, so you're unique. Just like everybody else.:popcorn:Attaboy.

Although, I have to confess, I was at a red light, where the lead vehicles were a dumptruck, a large box truck, and a small fed-x truck, side by side. I took a pic of it and posted something like "oh joy, this is gonna be like a dead heat in a Zeppelin race!"

But, yeah, sometimes "boring" is good!

That's for sure.

To the OP, trust me, as you grow older and the health of you and your loved ones declines, the level of drama in your life will increase whether you want it to or not. For example, I spent all day yesterday in a waiting room at the hospital, on pins and needles. I'd tell you why, but my goodness, it's just too much drama. :LOL:

Same here!! They expect us to tell them of our travels to foreign lands to save rain forests and dig wells. They seem crushed when they hear all we do is go to the gym, read, walk the dog find places that have cheap early bird specials, and of course - nap. ;)

Snippet of a recent conversation at a social gathering:

Them: Hey Jollystomper, we heard you retired??
Me: Yes, since the end of June lat year.
Them: So, what have you been doing with yourself?
Me: Anything I want.
Them: What does that mean?
Me: Stuff I want to do around the house, a little volunteering, the gym, some sports, a little travel...
Them: That doesn't sound exciting.
Me: After 39 years with Megacorp, of which 30% was traveling to or working in another city or country, boring is good!
One of Them: I thought you liked your job?
Me: Yes, I did. It was a great job. But now time is more important to me, and boring keeps me healthy <I laugh, they kinda laugh>.

That's for sure.

To the OP, trust me, as you grow older and the health of you and your loved ones declines, the level of drama in your life will increase whether you want it to or not. For example, I spent all day yesterday in a waiting room at the hospital, on pins and needles. I'd tell you why, but my goodness, it's just too much drama. :LOL:
Hopefully all is better today.

Same here!! They expect us to tell them of our travels to foreign lands to save rain forests and dig wells. They seem crushed when they hear all we do is go to the gym, read, walk the dog find places that have cheap early bird specials, and of course - nap. ;)
+1 and proud of it.

One trend I've noticed, and possibly social media is to blame, is that it seems like people feel the need to turn the most mundane things into an epic melodrama. For instance, here's two gems from my facebook feed this morning...

You aren't kidding! Rarely am I in a social setting where some sort of drama isn't discussed rampantly. There are so many *good* things to discuss, I just don't understand the negativity.

Thanks for the replies - glad to know we are not alone.

Giving up already :confused:

I think what makes it less boring is to relate your travel issues to them, some folks are competitive and like the complaining competition, examples are:

• We were on the beach in Barcelona this past Spring, and you could see the poverty in plain sight as many young women could only afford the bottom half of a bikini :eek:

• Things they taught us in school are sometimes true, like the saying all roads lead to Rome. It must be because of how many people go that way each day, we were on a train to Rome, and it was standing room only for an hour of travel.

Back
Top Bottom