Lakes in Wisconsin?

I fish on Lake Geneva a good bit, but wouldn't if I had a better choice close enough for day trips. It's packed with boats every Saturday and Sunday and crowded on other days. And traffic getting through town is horrible.

All the lakes within day-trip distance of Chicagoland get a workout. I drive through Fox Lake and the Chain of Lakes areas and often marvel at the weekend traffic.

Have you been up to Lake Koshkonong near Fort Atkinson? The new 4-lane highway from Janesville might put it within your reach.

I live in Minneapolis. In the summer, many of the cabin owners head out of town to their cabins for the weekend starting early Friday afternoon, and return late Sunday afternoon.
My cabin is an hour and twenty minutes away with no traffic, but it takes an additional 40 minutes if I travel during those times.
The pleasures of retirement. I just go when I want, but not during those time periods. No problem.
The lake traffic basically drops to almost nothing on non-weekends starting Sunday afternoon.
Years ago we were returning from Ohio on I94 on Thanksgiving Sunday. The stop & go traffic jam southbound started at Tomah.

Like many Chicago folk, we vacationed at a cottage on Lake Geneva when I was growing up. Fond memories. I wonder if the Lady of the Lake mail boat is still running.

All the lakes within day-trip distance of Chicagoland get a workout. I drive through Fox Lake and the Chain of Lakes areas and often marvel at the weekend traffic.

Have you been up to Lake Koshkonong near Fort Atkinson? The new 4-lane highway from Janesville might put it within your reach.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a look. I have an 18 foot bass boat and regularly have waves come over the bow when I stay too long at Lake Geneva. I catch a lot of fish, but it's not very relaxing.

I live in Minneapolis. In the summer, many of the cabin owners head out of town to their cabins for the weekend starting early Friday afternoon, and return late Sunday afternoon.
My cabin is an hour and twenty minutes away with no traffic, but it takes an additional 40 minutes if I travel during those times.
The pleasures of retirement. I just go when I want, but not during those time periods. No problem.
The lake traffic basically drops to almost nothing on non-weekends starting Sunday afternoon.

My DW, also a retired newspaper journalist, got her first reporting job at the Polk County Ledger in Balsam Lake. I think it's one of those rustic getaways favored in the Twin Cities. We always talk about making a run up there to see how things have changed in (egad) 43 years.

There are so many great suggestions here. I am going to start my list and we will visit lakes in the area! We really like to relax on the lake....not be stressed due to lake traffic.

I really appreciate all of the advise! This is a great start for me!

FFC,
The highlight of my summer is very silly.
I go to my cabin, hop into the boat, and head to a small bay nearby. It is protected from the wind, so typically calm.
The water is deep, and there are seldom any other boats.
I anchor, crack open a beer, sit a few minutes to warm up, and dive in.
If the water is warm, I sit on a floatie. If not, I hang out on the boat between dives.
A simple pleasure. Stress floats away.
I can't wait.
Take care, JP
There are so many great suggestions here. I am going to start my list and we will visit lakes in the area! We really like to relax on the lake....not be stressed due to lake traffic.

I really appreciate all of the advise! This is a great start for me!

Back
Top Bottom