Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2021, 10:31 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We loved Lake Michigan for the 26 years we lived near Chicago. I take it you want a small inland lake. Madison is a nice city between two small lakes. Door County was our favorite place to visit in WI.
Chigago boy originally, also have family in central Wis, Madison & Door County are great suggestions.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2021, 06:13 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are looking for a small inland lake look at Big Cedar Lake or Little Cedar Lake in the West Bend-Hartford area. 20 or so miles to Milwaukee.
14thMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Some residents tried to get the path closed because it goes across some of their front property. That was unsuccessful as I remember because there needs to be a public right of way around the lake. We have walked on the path many times. Most homes sit so far back you never see or come close to the residents. When I took the tour on Catalina Island in California Wrigley’s also owned s house there.
One of my ex-bosses lived on the west end of the lake at Fontana-on-Geneva-Lake, the only town in Wisconsin that I know of with a hyphenated name, let alone three hyphens. He had us out to his place a time or two. It wasn't the Wrigley mansion but it was nice.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:58 AM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

I fish on Lake Geneva a good bit, but wouldn't if I had a better choice close enough for day trips. It's packed with boats every Saturday and Sunday and crowded on other days. And traffic getting through town is horrible.
FireAspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #25

Geneva would put the OP close to Chicago but pretty far from Minneapolis. Same with the Cedar Lakes, although there's some nice, reasonably priced housing nearby. Maybe they could catch the Amtrak Empire Builder to the Twin Cities out of Milwaukee.

Some vacation/retirement housing is available on Castle Rock Lake (Wisconsin River flowage) near Mauston that would be more centrally located. But that area is so flat, and I don't find Mauston too charming. My cousin had to relocate to the area for work, and as soon as he retired he moved back to Iowa. Considering that the OP wants to get OUT of Iowa, my cousin's experience might raise a red flag!
Old 01-31-2021, 11:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireAspire View Post
I fish on Lake Geneva a good bit, but wouldn't if I had a better choice close enough for day trips. It's packed with boats every Saturday and Sunday and crowded on other days. And traffic getting through town is horrible.
All the lakes within day-trip distance of Chicagoland get a workout. I drive through Fox Lake and the Chain of Lakes areas and often marvel at the weekend traffic.

Have you been up to Lake Koshkonong near Fort Atkinson? The new 4-lane highway from Janesville might put it within your reach.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:35 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
... marvel at the weekend traffic. ...
Years ago we were returning from Ohio on I94 on Thanksgiving Sunday. The stop & go traffic jam southbound started at Tomah.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live in Minneapolis. In the summer, many of the cabin owners head out of town to their cabins for the weekend starting early Friday afternoon, and return late Sunday afternoon.
My cabin is an hour and twenty minutes away with no traffic, but it takes an additional 40 minutes if I travel during those times.
The pleasures of retirement. I just go when I want, but not during those time periods. No problem.
The lake traffic basically drops to almost nothing on non-weekends starting Sunday afternoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Years ago we were returning from Ohio on I94 on Thanksgiving Sunday. The stop & go traffic jam southbound started at Tomah.
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:20 PM   #29

Like many Chicago folk, we vacationed at a cottage on Lake Geneva when I was growing up. Fond memories. I wonder if the Lady of the Lake mail boat is still running.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:22 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
All the lakes within day-trip distance of Chicagoland get a workout. I drive through Fox Lake and the Chain of Lakes areas and often marvel at the weekend traffic.

Have you been up to Lake Koshkonong near Fort Atkinson? The new 4-lane highway from Janesville might put it within your reach.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a look. I have an 18 foot bass boat and regularly have waves come over the bow when I stay too long at Lake Geneva. I catch a lot of fish, but it's not very relaxing.
FireAspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
I live in Minneapolis. In the summer, many of the cabin owners head out of town to their cabins for the weekend starting early Friday afternoon, and return late Sunday afternoon.
My cabin is an hour and twenty minutes away with no traffic, but it takes an additional 40 minutes if I travel during those times.
The pleasures of retirement. I just go when I want, but not during those time periods. No problem.
The lake traffic basically drops to almost nothing on non-weekends starting Sunday afternoon.
My DW, also a retired newspaper journalist, got her first reporting job at the Polk County Ledger in Balsam Lake. I think it's one of those rustic getaways favored in the Twin Cities. We always talk about making a run up there to see how things have changed in (egad) 43 years.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:01 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

There are so many great suggestions here. I am going to start my list and we will visit lakes in the area! We really like to relax on the lake....not be stressed due to lake traffic.

I really appreciate all of the advise! This is a great start for me!
FFC1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

FFC,
The highlight of my summer is very silly.
I go to my cabin, hop into the boat, and head to a small bay nearby. It is protected from the wind, so typically calm.
The water is deep, and there are seldom any other boats.
I anchor, crack open a beer, sit a few minutes to warm up, and dive in.
If the water is warm, I sit on a floatie. If not, I hang out on the boat between dives.
A simple pleasure. Stress floats away.
I can't wait.
Take care, JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFC1964 View Post
There are so many great suggestions here. I am going to start my list and we will visit lakes in the area! We really like to relax on the lake....not be stressed due to lake traffic.

I really appreciate all of the advise! This is a great start for me!
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:06 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

JP.mpls, you are speaking my language!
FFC1964 is offline   Reply With Quote