Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #21
gone traveling

Truth be told, learning languages is now a hobby that I enjoy... when I have the chance, my Spanish is (I am told) very good. Even in Florida where there are many Spanish-speakers, it takes work to get a good situation for practicing...

If DW were willing, I would probably spend half the year in some Spanish-speaking country.
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

In my twenties, I spent two months in Guadalajara at a language school. I lived nearby with a family and we spoke only in Spanish. I used my Spanish extensively as I traveled about the city and to nearby villages on the weekends. Great experience and would highly recommend it.

I worked weekly with a native speaker for about eight months months before a trip to Mexico last year. She had a great vocabulary and excellent pronunciation, but couldn’t always explain why things were a certain way. If I wanted to do that again, I might search for a Spanish teacher versed in all the nuances of the language. I did feel very comfortable speaking Spanish while In Mexico, but sometimes it was a challenge to comprehend especially in the remote areas. The people were very pleased that I made the effort to converse with them.

Currently, I do a few lessons on Duolingo most days for maintenance mainly. I especially like the parts where I can repeat the sentences. The free version does require viewing some advertisements, but I keep something to read nearby while they play.

Good luck! Do keep us informed on your decision.
healthyandfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sometimes it is not really explainable why certain things in a language are the way they are. It just is the way it is, and you have to just go with it if you want to learn the language. I could never wrap my head around all the little things to me that don't make sense in German .

I could translate every word in the sentence, yet it still didn't make sense, but to a German it would. You just have to memorize the sentence along with the meaning and try not to make sense out of everything, otherwise you will go crazy. I think this holds true for every foreign language one is trying to learn, I just use German as an example.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I learned Swedish when I married DW thirty-six years ago. I'm fluent when it comes to talking, but my comprehension has always lagged.

In 2017 we lived in Sweden for one month. I thought that would solve my comprehension problem, but it did not. Listening to the news, for example, I usually couldn't keep up.

Luckily, we decided we did not want to move to Sweden.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I learned Swedish when I married DW thirty-six years ago. I'm fluent when it comes to talking, but my comprehension has always lagged.

In 2017 we lived in Sweden for one month. I thought that would solve my comprehension problem, but it did not. Listening to the news, for example, I usually couldn't keep up.

I would imagine if one were to live full time in Sweden then one would need to learn Swedish. However a lot of Swedes, those who are younger especially ,speak pretty good English. But Sweden has never captured my imagination so I will probably never go there, although the native Swedes from what I hear are very nice people.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:46 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

I improved my Spanish listening comprehension immensely by watching many hours of Spanish TV fiction programming (not any news or talk shows). Leaving the captions on in Spanish really helped too at first.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:05 AM   #27

I'd do the immersion but make the trip more than just that...consider it extended travel or a mission trip or something...dual purpose.

As a side note, I took Spanish classes in 7th and 8th grade, and I still remember most of it. My dialect/enunciation is very good, but my vocabulary is small. They only taught us the basic things like how to tell time, counting, parts of the body, colors, rooms in a house, foods, weather, etc.

I worked for a Fortune 500 company for 25 years and took a few business trips to Mexico and was in meetings where almost all they spoke was Spanish. I was only able to understand about 25% of what they said. I find that I can read it very well, but listening is very hard because they use slang and talk way too fast for me.

I think that if I lived in a Spanish-speaking locale for about 6 months I could become fluent...maybe someday.

Tiene un bien dia!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Have you tried italki? If not, give it a look. It’s helped me a great deal with listening comprehension and speaking.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #29
gone traveling

I have done about 5 or 6 lessons using italki.. I did like it, but still not the same as "being there"...
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #30

I slowly lost my poor French when I left Quebec. Tried to keep it up by listening to hockey games in French and reading French language newspapers etc. But it does slowly go.

But, after about day three or four in France it gets better. In a few cases after five days or so my spouse claims that I have most of it back.

Different people learn in different ways. I would want an immersion class but that alone would not do it. I would have to be able to practice on a regular basis for some time.

The difference for me is understanding as it is spoken vs translating everything in my mind as it is spoken to me. Clearly the former is where I want to be. I would like to learn Spanish. I did suggest to my spouse that one way might be to get a Spanish girlfriend. That suggestion did not go over very well.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:39 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I sometimes see language immersion trip offerings in the Road Scholar/formerly Elder Hostel catalogs. For example: https://www.roadscholar.org/find-an-...language-study

We are not group travel people or, God forbid, cruise ship people but we occasionally take one of the Road Scholar small group trips and have been very happy with them. We did this one last year: https://www.roadscholar.org/find-an-...king-in-sicily It's the kind of thing you really can't arrange as a couple on a private tour.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:12 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I have been taking Spanish classes at the local university for the past year. In Arkansas, it is free for seniors over 60 to take university classes on a space available basis. I asked the chair of the department what the best way to become fluent in Spanish was. He recommended taking Spanish as a Second Language, and mentioned that he had good experiences at universities in Spain (Salamanca and Granada) and one in Costa Rica ( just outside San Jose).
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:51 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Trying to figure which language would be the best to learn. We love visiting Italy, but Spanish seems like the best choice to maximize countries to visit (and to engage spanish speaking population in our town).
bobbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:22 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I learned the most Spanish from the ladies who cleaned our cubes back at Megaacorp. We used to make them giggle when we'd refer to them as Señorita! One of the few things I miss about cubeland but YMMV.

que tenga un buen día

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #35

My experience is that if you do not use it, hear it, or read it on a very regular basis you will begin to loose it. It becomes easier to pickup later and it is only then that you realize how much you have lost.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, spanish