Last day at work today

Actually I am curious if Jackson did this--both the people I mentioned in my post above went in for their last day, but both were gone about an hour after they went in. At that stage what is anyone going to say? Your fired? They had nothing to do as all their work had been transferred to their replacements, so they went in, stopped by and said goodbye to everyone and left. Sounds about right to me!
Depending on the company, it's the only way to avoid the "surprise party" or the boss' version of a surprise: "Oh, I'm glad you're still here, we need you to..."

Somehow my chain of command formed the impression that my last day in the office was the day after my actual last day. Of course I have no idea how they formed this impression, but for my sake it was a darn good thing that they formed it.

... the monthly staff meeting this evening one last time which runs from 5:30 to infinity.
That's just nuts. That's not a meeting, that's a punishment.

Congratulations! Jackson D
Let us know how many days it takes to get that smile off your face?
Steve

Woke up at 5:00AM today thinking about what comes next. I've been planning ER for many years and it officially starts tomorrow. I basically started working at age 13 and feel like I am 13 again because now I can do whatever I want to and the possibilities are endless. I used to have a dog that loved chasing tennis balls that I would throw. He would run out ahead and at times I had to hold him back to let the ball get farther away. He would just be trembling with excitement waiting for me to let him go and when I did he was off like a rocket doing one of the things he loved best.

That is how I feel today,

Jackson

Jackson, this is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read.

And congratulations!

Nice story, and congrats, Jackson!

My last day was not a leisurely one. My tummy was upset in the morning before I left for my last train ride (YAY) but it calmed down. I was under some pressure to finish up a long project by the end of the day, which I did about 45 minutes before I left. As the train on my return trip was nearing my home station, I struggled to hold back openly sobbing in front of everyone. I let out a big "I'm Free!" when I entered my apartment following the short walk home. It was at that momnent I knew I was DONE. :)

Actually I am curious if Jackson did this--both the people I mentioned in my post above went in for their last day, but both were gone about an hour after they went in. At that stage what is anyone going to say? Your fired? They had nothing to do as all their work had been transferred to their replacements, so they went in, stopped by and said goodbye to everyone and left. Sounds about right to me!

I left about 2pm on my last day. I could have left whenever I wanted, but I used that morning to thank (select) folks one on one. Had a dinner with my 8 favorite employees the night before, and others took me to lunch my last day. Cake in the conf room about 1:30pm, short thank you/good luck speech, general goodbyes and out the door for the last time.
I waited until 4:30, and that was my second day of training my replacement (long story). Mega-corp had a policy of $X for a bye-bye gift. I asked for ( and got) the [-]money required[/-] ability to invite my work friends to a local bar and buy the beer. Got home at 10:00 PM.

Stevewc said:
Congratulations! Jackson D
Let us know how many days it takes to get that smile off your face?
Steve

Probably best to use years for this measurement!

Jackson, congratulations and hope you have great fun throughout your retirement.

That's great Jackson! You planned and worked for this... and now it's come true!

There are a few monumental days in a person's life. Getting married, (divorced, too?), kids being born, parents passing, graduating from HS and college, grandkids, and retiring, (and not ever having to work again)! Did I miss any?

Woo Hoo!

OK...now all us gumshoes reading this at work...GET BACK TO WORK!

Back
Top Bottom