Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
we would drive right up to the ball, hop out, take a swing and go to the next ball.. Heck, sometimes we did not even worry about if it was our turn or not...
We call that ready golf. As long as you are not bothering someone else by hitting, go ahead and play your shot while the other golfer is getting ready.

You can tell the one's who are influenced by what they see the pros do on TV. Taking several practice swings, changing clubs a couple of times before hitting and the worst one of all.......waiting until it is their turn to putt before lining up the putt. Do all that while your playing partner is putting.

We usually have 4 golfers per group and it takes us 2.5-3 hours to play 18 holes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
...they unexpectedly offered gliding sessions, and I jumped at the opportunity.
Wow, I'd have jumped at it too. Good add for my bucket list, now I just have to figure out where I can get a glider ride this summer...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52

We call that ready golf. As long as you are not bothering someone else by hitting, go ahead and play your shot while the other golfer is getting ready.

You can tell the one's who are influenced by what they see the pros do on TV. Taking several practice swings, changing clubs a couple of times before hitting and the worst one of all.......waiting until it is their turn to putt before lining up the putt. Do all that while your playing partner is putting.

We usually have 4 golfers per group and it takes us 2.5-3 hours to play 18 holes.
You forgot one last part Dawg, that really gets me. Wait until their turn to even consider taking a practice swing, changing clubs, AND THEN dribbling it 70 yards down the fairway. I can only take so much of that before I want to call my insurance guy to see how much liability insurance I have before I launch one inside their comfort zone. Fortunately for them, I don't have enough to send a real strong message.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
You forgot one last part Dawg, that really gets me. Wait until their turn to even consider taking a practice swing, changing clubs, AND THEN dribbling it 70 yards down the fairway. I can only take so much of that before I want to call my insurance guy to see how much liability insurance I have before I launch one inside their comfort zone. Fortunately for them, I don't have enough to send a real strong message.
Can I share a story?

My Dad always had a very low (golf) handicap. When my Dad was a young Army Captain (or Major), one day he and his buddies were playing behind a really slow group (military base course), and on the 18th hole (par 5) my Dad had enough and knowingly hit his second shot before the group ahead had quite cleared (almost out of range, but not quite) - evidently to send a message. His ball dribbled up a few yards behind one of the older gents. The older guy never shouted or gestured, he just picked up my Dad's ball and slowly walked all the way back up the fairway about 280 yards to my Dad. He handed the ball to my Dad and said "xxxx, I wouldn't do that again." Once he got close enough to see, my Dad realized the older guy was a base General - who knew my Dad by rank & name.

My Dad never hit into anyone again...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The older guy never shouted or gestured, he just picked up my Dad's ball and slowly walked all the way back up the fairway about 280 yards to my Dad. He handed the ball to my Dad and said "xxxx, I wouldn't do that again." Once he got close enough to see, my Dad realized the older guy was a base General - who knew my Dad by rank & name...
No offense, but this made me crack up. It reminded me of that GEICO commercial where the drill sergeant therapist calls his patient a "jackwagon"

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The older guy never shouted or gestured, he just picked up my Dad's ball and slowly walked all the way back up the fairway about 280 yards to my Dad.
If someone in the group behind me hit a 280 yard shot from the fairway onto the green I was on I'd walk back to him and shake his hand.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Practice, practice, practice before going out on the course.
When you get to the point of having two over par on a hole, be considerate of others behind you; pick up the ball and move to the next tee.
Double bogey is a bit early to pick up IMO. It is very situational and depends on whether there is open space in front of you, how long the group behind has been dogging you, etc.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski

Double bogey is a bit early to pick up IMO. It is very situational and depends on whether there is open space in front of you, how long the group behind has been dogging you, etc.
I really don't have a problem with people being bad golfers because we all have to start somewhere. Not learning the basic elements of etiquette involving slow play does. Knowing to let people play through, ready golf, don't stand and chat on the green after putting out, doing your scorecard at the next box, paying attention to where your ball goes if it's hit in the rough,playing provisionals instead of driving back to re-tee, etc. Just doing those helps speed up play a lot. I might be a bit less patient because I live in an uncrowded area, and I am used to my golf course being that way. If I had to have a tee time, and wait on every shot, I don't think I would play the game. We play in a couple of local scramble cash tournaments a year, and they are 5 hour rounds. The competition is fun ( not counting sandbag Saturday ) but I couldn't play that way on a daily basis.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think a better way is to find a 3 to 5 day golf school, especially for a newbie. I took one a number of years ago as an experienced golfer and it helped my game tremendously. For a newbie I think it would be even better in that you'll be starting from scratch (pun intended). Anyway, I had to unlearn some things.

They'll work with you on proper grip, alignment, stance, swing and tempo all in one fell swoop. You'll hit a gazillion balls over those few days as well as spending some time on the putting greens and the course. Well worth the effort to get a good start IMO.
This is an excellent suggestion. When I started playing about 15 years ago I began with 5 lessons from a local pro. He was fine, but I wasn't very happy with the result. I finally made real progress when I went to a 5 day golf school. It was four or five hours of instruction and practice a day, followed by playing some golf. I would not have worked that hard on my own, and getting to play with your fellow students in front of you, with you and behind you is really comfortable.

Coach
Old 02-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't mind slow golfers, I just sit in the cart, grab another beer and enjoy the show. By the way our course is BYOB it is much more relaxed that the fancy pants courses.
NotMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #31

Very interesting reading. I have been playing golf for about 55 years, never touched a club until I was out of college. Just picked it up on my own and never took a lesson until it was too late. Really, it's never too late and I would recommend it to anyone taking up the game. A couple lessons to learn the basics and your good to go for the recreational golfer. If you want to take up the game seriously, spend the money and go to a golf school for a week. Fifteen years ago I got down a 9 handicap at one point and thought I was pretty good and then the game left me. Had I ever taken some serious lessons, I might have kept that handicap for awhile. Then age took over, surgeries came around and muscles deterioated and now I just want to get out once a week. The main reason I do it at all is to get together with my old golf group. The score doesn't make any difference (not quite true). It's the friends you make, getting out in the open air, seeing all the wildlife, laughing and cutting up, having a couple beers after the game and telling "lies". "The greatest game ever played". See the movie when you get a chance.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
It's the friends you make, getting out in the open air, seeing all the wildlife, laughing and cutting up, having a couple beers after the game and telling "lies". "The greatest game ever played". See the movie when you get a chance.
That's the sort of thing I'm after, thanks. I have no illusions I'll be playing with the President! But I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by my total lack of knowledge. That's where these comments help. I have already contacted the golf club this afternoon to see what they offer. See? I'm learning to retire

Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #33
gone traveling

A few other suggestions I would make is, as you improve, try to play with friends who are better than you. It will start to rub off, and you will learn a lot in terms of strategy and how to play for best odds of success. The other point I would emphasize, if you want to score well, practice your short game and putting a lot, as thats the area that separates the men from the boys.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
A few other suggestions I would make is, as you improve, try to play with friends who are better than you. It will start to rub off, and you will learn a lot in terms of strategy and how to play for best odds of success. The other point I would emphasize, if you want to score well, practice your short game and putting a lot, as thats the area that separates the men from the boys.
Drive for show, putt for dough.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I have no problem finding people that are better than me, because everybody's better than me!

Your second point reminds me of a forward written by Herbie Hancock (who played with Miles Davis) in a book I have. Apparently, Herbie was having trouble, and Miles told him "don't play the butter notes". What he meant was don't play the obvious stuff: the root and fifth in a chord. Instead do the third and seventh.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

When we moved to N. Carolina from MI last year, I joined my brother's golf club. I never really learned the game as a youth, and had not played for 25 plus years. I began taking lessons last year, and played a little. This year I will continue with lessons from the pro, and play at least twice a week, mostly with the "senior" group. I now qualify to join! I hope to become an acceptable player someday.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #37
gone traveling

To steely and all here. I was waiting for someone to mention this. I just started here this morning and of course as my handle suggests I like golf. I haven't taken a lesson yet but plan on doing that some day. My wife is in need of it as well as she just started playing last summer with me. As DFW here suggests the short game is key. I read a book by a gentleman who gave his age in his mid 70s. His thoughts here were not to get too wrapped up in those long drives off the tee. He is absolutely right. Keep the hole in front of you. Straight is better. Think of each 18 hole golf course in terms of PAR. 18 holes are almost always set for 72 as par. Most amature golfers dont reach that and in fact a good majority of them hit 100. I tend to agree as I can break 100 most times now but in the beginning I know my games were closer to 110. His answer then was bogey golf. If you play bogey golf you will enjoy the game much better. His solution to attaining bogey golf is 2 putt. Always set yourself up for 2 putting. If you stay within bounds and get to the green on a par 3 in two hitting the ball towards the hole so that you are close enough for an automatic putt on your first putt you will bogey that hole. Do the same on a par 4 by getting to the green in three you can do the same. Hitting bogey golf is hitting 90. If you want to break 90 that would be an easy step. Just make the green in 1 on a par 3 or two in a par 4.

I know it simplifies it a lot but it makes sense. Get in the habbit of not over swinging. Over doing it will only result is fades and 2 shots from the trees or wherever if you find your ball. Avoid the traps and hazards as much as possible. If you must take a shot that puts you on the other side of the green instead of taking a chance you will end up in the drink or the bunker take it. Just keep the hole in front of you.

Quote:
GolfingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Steelyman, am real glad that you are taking up this sport. It is a game for life and can be played with friends or even alone. It also gets you out there, walking on green grass and breathing open air. I love this game. Do take some lessons with pros as it helps a lot to understand the game and play with improvements. Don't expect instant progress - practice practice practice but always enjoy the game - even though you are not hitting right that day. Don't feel pressured to buy lots of those new highly improved show stopper clubs - as a beginner, just start with clubs suitable for you now and move on from there as you improve. Someone once said the average golfer (like me - just average) does not improve stroke by stroke, improvement comes in plateaus. When you reach those plateaus, do enjoy being there instead of being impatient to go to the next level. Try not to hit anyone or animals on the green. I once hit a bird and until today, I feel so grateful that it can still fly.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Thank you, Moscyn, as well as the rest who offer advice. I find it funny that I have no problem "putting it out there" by playing and singing, but stuff like this makes me go "whoa!!!". But I went through the same thing when getting myself to the gym, and that is OK

Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDuo View Post
Keep the hole in front of you. Straight is better.
Reminds me of the time I got paired with two younger, bigger guys in their 20s's (my golf partner had to cancel out at the last minute and the course was busy so they were pairing folks up). They were outhitting me off of the tee 60-70 yards but were ending up all over the place but the fairway. My drives were shorter but getting onto the fairway and I would get to the green about the same time or just after they were on. After around the 6th hole I apologized as I thought I was slowing them down, and one said "are you kidding? You're getting on the fairway! I wish we could do that!" That is when I started realizing that distance was less important than accuracy.
jollystomper is offline   Reply With Quote