Join Early Retirement Today

Lest We Forget 9/11
Old 09-11-2020, 05:22 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lest We Forget 9/11

New York City's light art memorial. 911-ANNIVERSARY.jpg
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2020, 05:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Seems like just a few weeks ago, yet so much has happened and so much has changed. Think how many people don't even have a recollection of it!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
New York City's light art memorial. Attachment 36137

I hadn't forgot but thanks for reminding folks what day this is.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:28 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'd just dropped my late wife off at chemo.....went back to her mother's (we were fulltime RV'ing when she was diagnosed and had parked the rig in her mother's driveway), switched on CNBC just before the first plane hit...(the late Mark Haines handled everything superbly).

Called chemo and told them to put the TV on...they were unaware of what was happening.

A whole bunch of awful memories.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:02 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It didn't take long for it to become a political football...... The future was no different from the past.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The rebuilding has been incredible. We still have some scarring as a nation but the terrorist attack on US soil taught us many things.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:04 AM   #7
gone traveling

Not forgetting.....All those souls perished doing what we all do and did to support our families and reach our dreams (FIRE)....They died at work.

We should never forget (or gloss over) what the [mod edit] terrorists did to our fellow countrymen......It could have been any of us.

It seems like so long ago yet still so vivid.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Not forgetting.....All those souls perished doing what we all do and did to support our families and reach our dreams (FIRE)....They died at work.

We should never forget (or gloss over) what the [mod edit] terrorists did to our fellow countrymen......It could have been any of us.

It seems like so long ago yet still so vivid.
X2, especially the first responders.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I just watched some of the footage of the morning on youtube. It's still shocking to see the plane fly into the 2nd tower, but what really got to me were the audio clips of some people calling their loved ones from a hijacked plane or high up in one of the towers. I can't watch or listen anymore.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I just watched some of the footage of the morning on youtube. It's still shocking to see the plane fly into the 2nd tower, but what really got to me were the audio clips of some people calling their loved ones from a hijacked plane or high up in one of the towers. I can't watch or listen anymore.
It was horrific. I was under the awning of the Hilton across the street with a couple of colleagues. We had just come across the street covering our heads as the debris was showering down. I was looking up in that direction as I heard it coming and then banked showing its underside in our direction just before hitting. Once it hit, pandemonium broke loose.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #11

Wow. What a memory, sadly. Now, approaching 2 decades, how does it still affect you?
Old 09-11-2020, 08:53 AM   #12

My friend's daughter was going to work, on a very high floor. She was a little late that morning, so kind of preoccupied. She came up out of the subway station across the street just after the first plane hit. Debris was already falling and she looked up but still kept crossing the street. A man ran after her, grabbed her and hauled her back to the sidewalk and made her go back and take the subway home again. If she had been on time, she would already have been in the office.

All these years later, she still has some PTSD over it.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
Wow. What a memory, sadly. Now, approaching 2 decades, how does it still affect you?
I still remember the morning vividly. Many dark, unforgettable memories of things I witnessed on the ground and what I did. It doesn't really affect me day to day, until 9/11 comes around each year when all of the news stories and films get highlighted again. I suppose it's good to reflect once a year.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #14

Good Morning everyone...sitting in my cubicle located in a part of the Pentagon that was destroyed and then rebuilt after that day.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
The rebuilding has been incredible. We still have some scarring as a nation but the terrorist attack on US soil taught us many things.
I well remember the shocking Oklahoma City terrorist bombing just 6 years earlier. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing
Since that attack, many government buildings as well as commercial buildings have installed bollards in front of main entrances to prevent such a ramming attack.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have very strong memories of the late Mark Haines narrating the experience. We used to watch Squawk Box every morning because we really liked Mark Haines, and I agree he really rose to the horrific occasion.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #17

l will never forget as it is the aniversary date of me coming to Peru and meeting my Wife!
Who would have thought that horrible day would be the beginning of the single most life changing event in my life!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
I certainly agree, but neither should we forget how we as a nation responded.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #19

Just a heads up, if you lived or worked in the exposure zone there is a victim's compensation fund available for 911 related illnesses. Also there is a WTC Health Program that cover's expenses related to 911 conditions.

https://www.vcf.gov
https://www.cdc.gov/wtc/
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My office was 10 blocks away from the WTC.
We could see the first plane inside the building. When the 1st building came down, the dust and debris reached 5 blocks from us. 13k people in my building on the streets.
Finally got home at 6:30pm. Knew 3 people who died.
Frightening day overall.