Join Early Retirement Today

Lexus GX460 - Any experience or input?
Old 06-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lexus GX460 - Any experience or input?

We need a mid-size SUV and prefer a luxury make/model known for its reliability, utility and comfortable ride. After much research, I'm leaning towards a new or gently used Lexus GX460. We have been extremely pleased with our 2017 Toyota Camry SE, and being Toyota's luxury brand, I believe Lexus would offer the same, if not better, experience. Any information and/or input from current or previous owners would be appreciated. Thanks!
Budatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budatx View Post
We need a mid-size SUV and prefer a luxury make/model known for its reliability, utility and comfortable ride. After much research, I'm leaning towards a new or gently used Lexus GX460. We have been extremely pleased with our 2017 Toyota Camry SE, and being Toyota's luxury brand, I believe Lexus would offer the same, if not better, experience. Any information and/or input from current or previous owners would be appreciated. Thanks!

While I love Lexus and had one until recently, I chose a different make this year because the Lexus technology for its entertainment/navigation/telematics is not intuitive and is difficult to use. Be sure to check it out carefully.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:13 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
While I love Lexus and had one until recently, I chose a different make this year because the Lexus technology for its entertainment/navigation/telematics is not intuitive and is difficult to use. Be sure to check it out carefully.
I have a different Lexus SUV but I too disliked the technology. I added Apple Air Play to my 2018 to replace the built in navigation and now I am happy. Newer Lexus models come with Air Play. 2018 (and possibly 2017) can be upgraded to Air Play for $180 or so.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:04 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My family owns a Lexus dealership, and I'm fortunate to be able to purchase any Lexus at cost. I'm not active in the business, however.

The GX is a very substantial vehicle, however it is truck based. The RX is an auto based vehicle, and it's much better riding and customer friendly. And RX's are available in a stretch version that has 3 row seating. The RX has perhaps the most comfortable front seats of any car made.

We recently bought a 2021 Toyota Venza Hybrid AWD that is especially user friendly. It's got the fit and finish more like a Lexus than a Toyota. I'm getting 42 mpg, and find it to be a great road vehicle for up to 4 people. Best thing is I could buy two of them for the price of one GX that does good to get 20 mpg.

Lexus is finally upgrading the NX mid size SUV with the same 2.5 liter hybrid system used in my Venza, the Highlander and the very popular RAV-4. It would be very desirable if the size works for you.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If you like that size/style, you should also look at recent 4Runner Limiteds. Full time AWD which the lower models do not have. Bulletproof.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

When we were shopping for an SUV 8 years ago I was already biased towards Toyota/Lexus. We went with the Lexus GX470 because it accommodated my my 6'3" height, the 4Runner didn't. At the time I found a 2006 with roughly 25K miles and it's only up to about 74K miles now.

Smooth, quiet and capable are the first three things I think of with it. Service is on the expensive side, and since we're in a town without a Lexus dealer the Toyota guys take care of it for us. The 4WD system is costing us the most in unscheduled repairs, but not enough to cause us to ditch a paid-for vehicle. The touch-screen is the highest-risk item for this vintage. If it goes out, you lose access to climate controls and might cost more to repair than the car is now worth.

This is our 3rd Lexus and I'd easily consider the GX460 when the time comes.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
When we were shopping for an SUV 8 years ago I was already biased towards Toyota/Lexus.

Smooth, quiet and capable are the first three things I think of with it. Service is on the expensive side, and since we're in a town without a Lexus dealer the Toyota guys take care of it for us. The 4WD system is costing us the most in unscheduled repairs, but not enough to cause us to ditch a paid-for vehicle. The touch-screen is the highest-risk item for this vintage. If it goes out, you lose access to climate controls and might cost more to repair than the car is now worth.
I agree about electronics being an area of concern. Unfortunately, manufacturers make changes and go to different systems constantly. And so many of the electronics are interlinked within the vehicles. It makes me want to stick with a popular brand of automobile and popular model because auto salvage yards may be the only place such components can inexpensively be found 10-12 years later.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I recently bought a Cadillac xt5 and so far very pleased. It's a little smaller than GX460 and doesn't have great towing capacity either but that's not a problem for me. And I got the 2L Turbo 4 cyl which has plenty of power to me(good gas mileage too) but they do offer a 6 cyl as an upgrade. The xt6 is another option for those that need more room and power.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:07 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recently bought a '06 GX470 mainly to tow behind my motorhome and as an offroad/highway capable car for Colorado. Today we're taking a 1300 mile trip in it to return back home for a couple weeks. That will be the decision factor whether we keep it or look for something else. It has a 2.5" lift but otherwise stock. Very comfortable and quiet so far. Took it offroad a couple times and very capable. This is to replace a 2011 Tahoe which we tow behind our motorhome and is just too large for offroad.
Interestingly GX's prices are pretty high right now since they have been "discovered" to be a great offroad and overlanding car.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:43 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Interestingly GX's prices are pretty high right now since they have been "discovered" to be a great offroad and overlanding car.
When you buy a used 4Runner, there's a 90% or higher chance it's been used off-road. When you buy a used Lexus GX470/GX460, there's an 80% chance it's been a pavement princess. That, and features like full time AWD are why the used ones selling for more than comparable vehicles.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 01:39 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a toyota guy and have owned Toyota land Cruisers for years as they run for ever and take you anywhere you want to go.

The GX460 is a Land Cruiser Prado 120 series everywhere else in the world. It is modified for comfort but maintains the same frame and drivetrain of the Land Cruiser Prado

So what you get is a Land Cruiser Reliability with Lexus service

Land Cruisers are the most popular vehicles in the interior of Australia and Africa because of their capability and dependability

I would recommend the GX460 for long term value and long term reliability

No I don't work from them/ Just a satisfied Land Cruiser and Lexus owner for almost 40 years

My daughter drives the older GX470 which is 14 years old with no issues. and she does take it to places most people don't, she let her husband drive in this picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02964.jpg (758.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-05-2021, 07:19 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My family owns a Lexus dealership, and I'm fortunate to be able to purchase any Lexus at cost. I'm not active in the business, however.

The GX is a very substantial vehicle, however it is truck based. The RX is an auto based vehicle, and it's much better riding and customer friendly. And RX's are available in a stretch version that has 3 row seating. The RX has perhaps the most comfortable front seats of any car made.

We recently bought a 2021 Toyota Venza Hybrid AWD that is especially user friendly. It's got the fit and finish more like a Lexus than a Toyota. I'm getting 42 mpg, and find it to be a great road vehicle for up to 4 people. Best thing is I could buy two of them for the price of one GX that does good to get 20 mpg.

Lexus is finally upgrading the NX mid size SUV with the same 2.5 liter hybrid system used in my Venza, the Highlander and the very popular RAV-4. It would be very desirable if the size works for you.
The GX460, 4Runner and until recently, the Landcruiser are all body on frame trucks made in the same factory in Japan. Great choice if you really need a capable, reliable truck based SUV. Because they are “real” trucks, fuel economy is mediocre compared to the unibody SUVs.

The unibody SUV’s are much closer to being a sporty minivan than an actual truck. Both types of vehicles have their uses, but if you are not towing or going off-road, the unibody models may make more sense.
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:27 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

The main difference between the 4 runner and the GX460 is the engine. The 4 runner is a V6 and I feel its underpowered. The GX is a V8 and is a better choice if you ever want to tow, but both are great vehicles