Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Life after Bucket Lists
Old 12-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Life after Bucket Lists

Some of us have "Bucket Lists" of things that we are determined to do or possess before we die. Some want to go to Paris, some want to build their own house singlehandedly, some want to play the violin, some want a boat, some want to travel the highways and byways by RV, some want to own and drive a particular antique car, some want to learn another language, some want to climb Machu Picchu, and so on.

For those who have had a Bucket List, and completed it, what happened next?

Did you find that after time more items popped up on your Bucket List, or was it done for good?

Was finishing your Bucket List a good thing, or did it make you feel like life was essentially over for you?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I realize that I will never complete my bucket list, and that is a good thing! It seems that every time I complete an item in my "life list", I add one or two more; I think that is a healthy perspective. Maybe the items in my list are not as grandiose as others, but I have never heard of anyone saying "hey, I've done everything I have ever wanted to do". I hope I am a ripe old age before saying that!
Old 12-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
I realize that I will never complete my bucket list, and that is a good thing! It seems that every time I complete an item in my "life list", I add one or two more; I think that is a healthy perspective. Maybe the items in my list are not as grandiose as others, but I have never heard of anyone saying "hey, I've done everything I have ever wanted to do". I hope I am a ripe old age before saying that!
That's encouraging! I like your answer.

For many years I thought I didn't have a bucket list, but then I realized recently that buying and living in a really nice house was actually a bucket list item for me all along. I was able to accomplish that bucket list item last summer and crossed it off my list.

So the reason for the thread is that I'm curious about whether something else may take its place, and how people's bucket lists evolve over time. Or do they just end? It sounds like yours didn't.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have some red buckets, black buckets, and a few white buckets. I think I have plenty and so adding buckets to the list is probably over.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About the only thing I'd call a bucket list item was to run a marathon, which I did at 38. I decided I liked it, so I set goals to do more of them, to do even longer races, and have faster times. I have some specific races I'd still like to do, but sometimes better races come about, or for whatever reason it just doesn't work out to run that race, so I don't really call them bucket list things because I'm fine if I don't do them. For example, I thought it'd be neat to run all the big major marathons, but I've found that other than Boston I really like the smaller races a lot better.

Likewise with places to visit. There are some things I'd like to see but over the years my interests change, or maybe political stability makes it less appealing. I don't want to tic off a bucket list item just because I put it on the list 10 years earlier.

To answer your question, I think it's always fun to have some goal to strive for and look forward to, so I'd say it's some combination of adding new bucket list items or moving the goal posts on an item you've done.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have a bucket list. Building a new home was a spontaneous decision for me. I like booking trips a year in advance because I enjoy the planning and anticipation of the trip as much (if not more so) than the actual trip. With the internet and ease of on-line purchasing, I am much more quick to treat myself to something on the spur of the moment.

The only thing that comes close to a 'bucket list' item for me was achieving early retirement.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have come to accept the fact that things I mention for my bucket list is actually a code word for things I would like to do, but are too lazy to actually do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
I'm the same way. As I go through life and my desires change, my list changes as well. I'm always finding new things to add to the list and checking off the things that I've done. I'll never check off every item. I won't be able to check off some because I'll be too old to accomplish the item when I get around to doing it.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Did you find that after time more items popped up on your Bucket List, or was it done for good?
Ten years into FIRE, my bucket list has grown. The more I experience things, the more I realize there is much more to experience. None of the items are a lust, a passion or an obsession. But everything sounds like a very appealing activity and it's fun not only actually having the experience but I also enjoy the planning and anticipation.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My first reaction was most people's bucket lists are endless and still growing? But in our case I think we misplaced our bucket list a few years after retiring.......
Old 12-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #11

I asked my wife this question, as she has completed 80 different items on her bucket list. Some of them she did not even know about until I brought them up.
Her answer was, "Sit back, be grateful, and enjoy the memories. This is contentment".
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
About the only thing I'd call a bucket list item was to run a marathon, which I did at 38.
That was a big bucket list item for me, and I did it at 58. Not well, you understand, but I finished and I'm still grinning about it many years later.

The rest of my list is almost all places I'd like to see. My problem is that there are so many places I've been that I love so much. Every time I think about going someplace new, I find myself dithering because there is an old favorite I'd love to visit again.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #13

There are some things that I would like to do or at least think I would however I often wonder how I will feel when they are completed. Even some things that I have completed don't seem as great as the anticipation. But other things I have completed I go back and do again. For example going to Sturgis every year. I enjoy seeing the people I have met over the years, love the riding, and like the atmosphere. It is always a long sad ride when I leave. I know there are some things that while I think I would like to do them I never will and will choose an easier route. Building a boat for the Great Loop comes to mind. Would love to build one to say I did but buying would be easier. I think that is ok.

JDARNELL
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

My bucket list is ever growing and I'm lucky that I consistently cross items off.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #15

I have one thing left on my list. I have already flown a jet, but want to fly a B-25. I am negotiation with a group in AZ to do it.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I have one thing left on my list. I have already flown a jet, but want to fly a B-25. I am negotiation with a group in AZ to do it.

That would be awesome. Is it "Maid in the Shade"? ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1450145719.308776.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
That would be awesome. Is it "Maid in the Shade"? Attachment 22745

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Yes-I figure if the kid in the Mel Gibson movie can do it, I can too lol
Old 12-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I have come to accept the fact that things I mention for my bucket list is actually a code word for things I would like to do, but are too lazy to actually do.
this was good!
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #19

My bucket list has one item: "Strive to live your best life today".
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My list is staying the same. I add new ones when the completed ones come off.
e.g. the Adriatic cruise is done, and
the trip to Sicily and Normandy.

But Galapagos is on my list (but not my wife's) and I could not get on the trip by some friends 2 years ago. And my biking/barge trip should get done this June.

Buying a snowbird place has reduced the opportunities to one trip per year. But that was a tradeoff we accepted. South American trips also conflicts with our snowbird life. But life is about compromises.