Life in Del Boca Vista....for Florida snowbirds...which type are you?

We prefer the southeast Florida coast too. Our condo is about 20 miles north of Ft. Lauderdale, and we can see the cruise ships departing from Port Everglades. Can’t wait to get down there next month!

I grew up in Dayton and my parents retired to Hilton Head just a couple blocks from the beach. It was great taking our kids there for so many years. I'd get a place there in a heartbeat if my kids were married and had kids and would come visit us. Maybe someday...

I lived several places before ending up in the Cleveland area since the 80s. I love it here and DH has no interest in being a snowbird. We usually do get away for 6 - 8 wks most winters. I love summer here (love my rowing team) and winters don't seem so bad as when our kids were younger. Maybe I'll feel differently when I'm older and can't get to the gym as easily.

But it's great to read how much you all love FL.

How about a hint.
Is it experiencing any of the following:
Red Tide?
Green Algae?
Beachside Cancer?

I'm right in the thick of all of that. Add to it a quickly rising population of people from out of the area who bring no redeeming attributes to the area. Roads that are filled beyond capacity. Dysfunctional infrastructure. Depending on the results of the next election for Governor, things may be fixing to get a lot worse.

I'm counting down another 4 years until retirement and then I'll leave Florida in my rear view mirror.

Agree lol, but we can't afford to reverse snowbird with 2 places.
The hurricane aspect does not really freak me out; always have time to prepare and react unlike tornadoes/earthquakes.

We don't plan to have two places, nor do we plan to spend the entire summer away - maybe just one or two months at best. We are lucky to have several friends and family with camps/second homes/boats we have been welcomed to stay in. We also plan to do more housesitting in the summers.

In between places we can camp for a night or two, but not much longer than that. I can only handle tent camping for brief periods. :D

So we hope to be able to reverse snowbird on the cheap. We'll see if it pans out! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom