Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2016, 01:21 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Related elsewhere, I left rather abruptly when I decided I didn't want to be there anymore. My w*rk assignment was about to be changed and I didn't want to do it. But, in all my 36 years, I don't recall ever taking a sick day that wasn't at least mostly needed. My Megacorp allowed sick days for those who were sick (or had significant doctor/clinic/dental visits, etc.) Early on, average sick-time usage was 4% corporation wide which was actually better than average for the industry at the time. But mgmt. kept pushing empl*yees to take less and less sick time - to the point that many took vacation days instead to preserve the possibility of raises and promotions. Average sick time was approx. 1% as I left. That's actually not possible if people take their illnesses and doctor visits, etc. seriously. 2% typically caused some form of disciplinary action (lack of raise/promo.) 4% could lead to probation if it weren't a one-time thing such as heart attack, stroke, etc. It was an interesting time to live through and just one more reason to bail out when I did. Still, I could never NOT try to do my best and never NOT show up if I were able. Just my personal view of the world I suppose. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 05:45 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Isn't sick time for people that are, I don't know, ummmmmm sick? We switched to calling it PTO so our employees don't have to be liars anymore.
My company separates PTO (aka vacation time) from sick time in terms of tracking.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Isn't sick time for people that are, I don't know, ummmmmm sick? We switched to calling it PTO so our employees don't have to be liars anymore.
We get 10 sick days per year...any unused sick time expires at the end of year and another 10 days is given..rinse and repeat. We're not allowed to carry them over. Im "sick" 10 times every single year.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to change my corporate passwords one LAST time as they expire Friday.

19 days of work left. Using every vacation hour available because even though they are paying out 100% it does get taxed at a hefty rate.

Still trying to be productive, but still wake up in the middle of the night thinking about work. I will be glad when that stops.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
...but still wake up in the middle of the night thinking about work. I will be glad when that stops.
It's WONDERFUL...
samsterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

jcretire77 - I had to laugh, as I just changed my password for the last time as well. I figured out that they allowed repetition after 3 new ones, so I cycled through from 1 to 4. Only 20 work days for me (after today), and most of the nightmares have passed for me.
I did not see your name in the Class of 2016 thread - feel free to add it and grin a bit!!
Class of 2016 - Page 25 - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
Old 07-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #27

I have 5 months (100 working days as of today, but who's counting ;-)) left and the shortimer's disease is getting really bad. My end date is 12/31 but it's a Sat and I am going to manage my vacation time so my last day at work can be 12/22, right before the Christmas break. To further complicate that 'engagement' thing, my whole business in Megacorp (about 10% of the site/campus) is being assimilated into a west coast operation. So lots other people are having trouble focusing too... but not as fortunate as me to be able to walk from it retired. Key people have left resources are stretched and the "transition" work to the other site/teams is going VERY slow.. but even with that, it is not terrible. I work with some really great people. The funny thing is the subconscious "filter" that my brain now has that kicks in when ever people in meetings talk about work/tasks/deliverables in "FY2017" and beyond. "Umm, yeah, ok. Good luck with that...."
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Not only am I leaving on Sept 1st, but I share an office with an employee whose last day is in November. Between the two of us there are a lot of smiles and 'really don't care anymore' comments. I think that I have five 3-day work weeks left. Thought today about not having to do performance reviews that are coming up!!!
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #29

OP's feelings are pretty normal. The balance between withdrawing, but not withdrawing so much that one fails to meet obligations or becomes bored to death. The awkwardness of declining when the boss offers a "very visible" assignment. Avoiding getting sucked into hot issues. Falling behind on learning, because you know you won't use what you learn. Caring enough, but not caring too much. Looking forward to upcoming layoffs ("pick me! pick me!") when others are dreading them.

My advice is to meet the obligations of your day-to-day work, and to fill the rest of the time, be proactive and come up with something that interests you, rather than getting sucked into things you want to avoid. In my case, it was creating a portal for all the information my colleagues needed, and pointing them there whenever a question arose. Made the workplace more efficient while I was still there, and everything I knew was readily available after I left.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember I felt angry often before I put in my notice. I knew I was able to FIRE but I was mad at myself for not doing it. After telling my boss I was leaving, it was so different at work for me. I wasn't afraid of saying what I really thought. That part was great. I knew in August that I could FIRE. It was the end of October that I gave notice and 11-17-15 when I left. I don't think that I would be able to last as long as you.
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote