Join Early Retirement Today

Lifetime learning institutes
Old 12-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Lifetime learning institutes

There is a group called the Osher Lfetime Learning Institute which sponsors "senior" educational courses and lectures often in conjunction with affiliated local university faculty. I've gotten fairly active with them, including taking courses in Chinese Civilization, Ted Bundy, Humanism, civil war, and New Guinea through a biologist's eyes. Highly recommended if you have an affiliate nearby.

A few weeks ago they asked me to organize (volunteering) a health care-related series of lectures. I had in mind a format where the first half I'd give a brief lecture (keeping it interactive, topics like prostate screening) and the second half would address questions submitted via email in advance (anonymous to the group). To keep it light, I'd throw in humorous but instructive pop quizes (e.g. anatomy: quick, put your finger on your glabella; point to your spleen, squeeze your medial malleolus) which has worked very well for me in similar nontechnical teaching scenarios -- lots of laughs.

Any suggestions, must-do lecture topics, cautions or whatever - all appreciated. I am looking forward to this.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Be sure to mention to the audience they should request the doc use two fingers when doing a digital prostate exam...
Old 12-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Be sure to mention to the audience they should request the doc use two fingers when doing a digital prostate exam...
Err... I guess that's one more screening strategy for picking up a few more cases.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Err... I guess that's one more screening strategy for picking up a few more cases.
I suppose...but I was referring to getting a second opinion.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Any suggestions, must-do lecture topics, cautions or whatever - all appreciated. I am looking forward to this.
I've found your posts about the utility (or not) of various medical screening procedures to be interesting. It's a subject that comes up more and more "as we get older," and it might be worth a short blurb just to explain why the experts have changed their recommendations on the advisability/frequency of various tests.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I' can't think of any must cover topics you wouldn't likely hit (dementia, osteoporosis, prostate health, DNRs advanced directives, LTC...). But on a side note, if you took a course on New Guinea you might find Lost in Shangri La interesting. It is a true story about the rescue of a WAC and two men who were in a plane that crashed in a "lost" valley in New Guinea in WWII. Great adventure story and an interesting look at cultural miscues in both directions.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a great idea for a course. I suggest throwing in lots of interesting anecdotes of things that happened in the hospital or during your years of practice.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

No suggestions, but your humorous / instructive pop quiz idea sounds like one that would appeal greatly to a diverse audience. I know I would enjoy it.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A few weeks ago they asked me to organize (volunteering) a health care-related series of lectures. I had in mind a format where the first half I'd give a brief lecture (keeping it interactive, topics like prostate screening) and the second half would address questions submitted via email in advance (anonymous to the group). To keep it light, I'd throw in humorous but instructive pop quizes (e.g. anatomy: quick, put your finger on your glabella; point to your spleen, squeeze your medial malleolus) which has worked very well for me in similar nontechnical teaching scenarios -- lots of laughs.
It sounds pretty much like what you've been doing here for the last five years-- are you thinking of starting a teaching gig again?

Of course it's different from the board because you're doing it in person, and it might involve biohazard containers. But seriously, you could mine your old threads & posts for material.

Colonoscopies would probably be a perpetual favorite.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Cool! This sounds like a lot of fun, Rich. Are you volunteering your time? As with any adult learning opportunity, the adults will be there partly to build on their own experience. Learner participation is important. One risk is the person with a chronic problem or one bad healthcare experience who has an agenda and uses it to take over the class. An experienced teacher like you will know the importance of keeping the class on theme.

Have fun!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It sounds pretty much like what you've been doing here for the last five years-- are you thinking of starting a teaching gig again?
All this is as a volunteer, just for fun and just a couple of hours a month. The group is over 65-70 in age on average, I'd guess. And very feisty and smart.

These volunteer gigs have given me a great deal of satisfaction, require a limited amount of work and I can, of course, opt out any time I want.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To keep it light, I'd throw in humorous but instructive pop quizes (e.g. anatomy: quick, put your finger on your glabella; point to your spleen, squeeze your medial malleolus) which has worked very well for me in similar nontechnical teaching scenarios -- lots of laughs.

Well now.... (...and no, I didn't look them up. I prefer to leave it to my imagination.)

Topics...maybe OTC drugs/vitamins, the 'noise' on the internet, how to safeguard homes from causing injuries...