Join Early Retirement Today

Living abroad temporarily
Old 09-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
gone traveling

Living abroad temporarily

This is not about being an ex-pat, but just traveling someplace for a shorter time... like Costa Rica, or even Europe... say for 3-6 months.

1. Did you set up a local bank account for the time you were there?
2. If not, were you able to use an ATM account against your U.S. bank?
3. Did you pay rent via local check, or cash, or credit card?
4. What did you do for cell phones during your stay?

Thanks...
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoodaGazelle View Post
This is not about being an ex-pat, but just traveling someplace for a shorter time... like Costa Rica, or even Europe... say for 3-6 months.

Thanks...
I can't comment on your other questions but I can address the ATM. I think it's a good idea to have an ATM card that will reimburse you for any fees that other banks charge you for using their bank with an ATM card. I would recommend the Schwab ATM card if you are thinking of using the ATM a lot in the 3-6 months as this card will reimburse any fees worldwide.

It's kind of a pain to get that card. Schwab does a hard credit check and the checking account is linked to a brokerage account that you do not have to fund. It can take up to a few weeks to get it. I am not sure if it would be worth it to do that in your case, but it is something to consider.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #3

Quote:
No need to do that, your US ATM card will work.

Quote:
see # 1

Quote:
Depends on where you stay. AirBnB or a hotel will use your credit card. If you get a short term lease, most landlords will take cash.

Quote:
Prepaid SIM cards will work in your existing cell phone. When you get to your destination, they will be easy to find, and probably cheaper than what you were paying in the USA.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #4

See responses below in red.

Quote:

We lived in Costa Rica for the entirely of last year. Since January, we have lived in New Zealand (1 month), Morocco (6 weeks), Europe (4 months) and currently traveling about Mexico and Central America returning to the U.S. in November

No. We have a high yield investor checking account with Charles Schwab that provides ATM fee rebates worldwide.
See above
We paid only in local currency or by credit card
We use Moto G6 phones as they will work on both GSM & CDMA platforms. Phone doesn't have to be Motorola - other brands will work. Just make sure it functions on both platforms. You can get a local SIM and calling plan - or - you can use Google Fi

Thanks...
Old 09-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
gone traveling

Thanks

Quote:

Thanks...
Thanks to all who replied... I will look into each suggestion when and if I make this step....
Old 09-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Regarding a local bank account, not only that you don't need it, but you also cannot have it as a tourist.

I read a blog of an American who moved to Europe with a European wife, and had the intention to stay there with a permanent visa. He had to jump through hoops to open a bank account. The red tape there is severe.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:

Thanks...
While we lived in the USA and after we retired, one year we spent 5 months in Canada, and another year we spent 5 months in Australia so my responses come from from we actually did, although I’m sure there are other options.

1. Setting up a bank account was not possible because we were not resident in the country.

2. No problem using our US ATM card in Canada or Australia, or the other countries we have stayed in for a few weeks.

3. We used our US credit card to pay rent in Canada and Australia. One time we spent a month in a rental house in Ireland where the owners did not take credit cards so we sent them the money in Euros to their bank using a forex company. XE.com was what we used back then.

4. For phones we used Skype as an app on my smart phone, which meant we were limited to phone calls only when we had WiFi access. Better options these days for phones.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Don't forget about the Schengen Agreement in the EU. You can only stay 90 days out of any 180 day period without a Visa. And in most European countries, Visa's are very difficult to obtain unless you're a student. And like was said, red tape is endless there.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Don't forget about the Schengen Agreement in the EU. You can only stay 90 days out of any 180 day period without a Visa. And in most European countries, Visa's are very difficult to obtain unless you're a student. And like was said, red tape is endless there.
Worth checking on a country by country basis. Britain is still in the EU and an American can stay on a visit as a tourist without a visa for up to 6 months.

When we stayed in Australia it was a strange arrangement in that the free electronic tourist visa was for 12 months but no longer than 90 days at a time, so while there we took a few days out of country. We took an excellent trip to Vanuatu. Incidentally our US ATM card worked in Vanuatu as well to get some cash, plus our US CC worked nicely as well.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We used credit cards and ATM machines for seven months. Now, we go twice a year for two months at a time. Never a problem.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use Schwab bank ATM card but most any U.S. bank’s ATM should work.

Look into T-mobile mobile for your phone plan. They have excellent international travel capabilities in over 150 countries, though if you’re thinking about staying away from the US for more than a few months at a time they may cut off your service so you’ll probably be better off with local SIM cards in that scenario.

Credit cards work fine just about anywhere for accommodations. I’m finding that Apple Pay is convenient, seamless, and fun. Just set it up with your preferred credit card and you’re good to go.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Responses below:

1. I only know about Europe, but you will not be able to get a bank account for a short stay. Also, since there is a big hairdo regarding foreign bank accounts for US citizens, many banks won't deal with us even if we have a fixed address.
2. I use my US ATM cards, pay by credit card (no foreign transaction fee), cash or bank transfer, depending upon the payee. You might want to look at a service called Transferwise which I also use to make payments.
3. Usually, the landlord will let you know how they will accept payment. It may be in cash or bank transfer (which is one way I use Transferwise). If it is something on AirBnB, you can pay by credit card in USD.
4. I use TMobile. Service works well. I have a GSM compatible phone. In my travels, I haven't seen CDMA used outside the US. Maybe others can comment. Also, it is easy enough to buy a local SIM card. My Nokia phone is dual SIM.

As noted, you will want to make sure you can legally stay in the country or zone for your entire trip. I am also paranoid about not staying in one country for 6 months or more since I have no desire to work my way through the tax thicket.
br
bigreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

A number of years ago we did open a bank account in London.

It may have been easier for us because we transferred money from our bank in Canada to their branch in London. We went into the branch and opened the account.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #14

One of my sons travels all over the world, living in various countries based on what the visa requirements are for that country or region. He does what others mentioned, ATM and 2 credit cards using local currency or credit card.

One thing to watch for is to ensure your passport has plenty of time left before it expires. And enough pages. Also check the expiration dates of your debit and credit cards. It can be a challenge to get a new card or a replacement card depending on your bank. My son will contact his bank and have them issue new cards with longer expiration dates when needed.

Because he doesn't come back to the US very often, I usually mail his cards to him in whatever country he is in. I often mail them vis DHL to the local DHL office where he is staying. That seems to be easier than trying to use the local mail.

We have a T-mobile family plan. He can get service in all sorts of strange places, Egypt, the woods of Sweden, etc. He can hotspot off his phone if there is no wifi too.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

#4 Check out Google Fi. Works all over the world for the same price it does in USA. Makes travel everywhere very easy.
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreader View Post
4. I use TMobile. Service works well. I have a GSM compatible phone. In my travels, I haven't seen CDMA used outside the US. Maybe others can comment. Also, it is easy enough to buy a local SIM card. My Nokia phone is dual SIM.

This is important. If your phone is CDMA only, you're probably going to have to buy a travel phone to use abroad. Check with your carrier, although if it's AT&T or T-Mobile, you can just get a prepaid SIM in the country you're visiting.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Living overseas

Quote:

Thanks...
I live now in a Uruguay but often do extended stays all over.

1 Foreign banks don’t want Americans as they have to do all kinds of reporting back to the US govt. if you are becoming a resident then you can do it but usually only for non interest bearing accounts. If you have a bank account outside the US you must report it every year.

2 ATM’s will take your debit card but everyone saying get a Charles Schwab card is right. By far the cheapest way to go and you get a better exchange than any bank or change bureau

3 many places will not take a US check and the fees for using one are outrageous. Wire transfers are far more reasonable. Credit cards with no foreign transaction fee are best for spending while traveling. If they offer to charge you in dollars always say no and pay in the local currency. Mastercard or Visa will give you the best possible rate.

4. T Mobile is quite good but the free data is really slow. Ok for text messages r email. You can buy a data package. If you need to make local calls and need data for web than get a local sim that you can prepay and reload at many shops. Remember if you are driving around Europe that a sim from France might not work 20 minutes away in Germany...

If you want to call the states or Canada or get calls from there buy a Magic Jack. Clarity of their VOIP is usually crystal clear and for your family and friends at home it is like calling a local number. Mine rings to my house phone and to my cellphone and is a life saver. My number for folks back home never changes regardless of where I am.

5 some other suggestions. Bring a RoKu or fire Stick and a VPN router if you want to get US channels Prime Video or HBO now etc. The VPN is just smart protection if you will be logging into accounts back home. You can use the VPN service you have to sign up for on your tablets and phones too. You can skip the VPN router if just using a tablet for tv.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:30 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We traveled for seven month. Europe, Africa, US, Central America. We never use cheques. We mostly used our no fx fee credit card. It worked well and was accepted in some very out of the way places. Since then we do the same twice a year for two months or so at a time.

For cash, we often use our no fx fee credit card for a cash advance. We establish a credit balance on the card and thus do not incur any interest charges.

We would advise taking several cards in case one gets blocked, stolen, etc for some reason. We met a couple in Ko Lipe, Thailand who had their only card swallowed by the ATM machine. It was a holiday weekend. They had to wait for two days until a tech came from the mainland to open it up. One thing we found was some discount airlines in Asia and Australia did not like certain cards for on line purchases. One of our cards was refused a few times even though the issuer had not blocked the card. We subsequently checked with the credit card issuer and they had no record of the card being presented or refused for those transactions.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:40 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We traveled for seven month. Europe, Africa, US, Central America. We never use cheques. We mostly used our no fx fee credit card. It worked well and was accepted in some very out of the way places. Since then we do the same twice a year for two months or so at a time.

For cash, we often use our no fx fee credit card for a cash advance. We establish a credit balance on the card and thus do not incur any interest charges.

We would advise taking several cards in case one gets blocked, stolen, etc for some reason. We met a couple in Ko Lipe, Thailand who had their only card swallowed by the ATM machine. It was a holiday weekend. They had to wait for two days until a tech came from the mainland to open it up. One thing we found was some discount airlines in Asia and Australia did not like certain cards for on line purchases. One of our cards was refused a few times even though the issuer had not blocked the card. We subsequently checked with the credit card issuer and they had no record of the card being presented or refused for those transactions.
Good point about carrying extra cards. Twice we have had cards compromised and cancelled while on long trips, and while dealing with the signing of affidavits is problematic, at least we have other cards to fall back on.

We have a US Skype account so that at least when calling card companies and banks there are no phone charges because they are US toll free numbers. (You can't call a 1-800 number from overseas from a regular phone)
Old 09-07-2019, 08:13 AM   #20
gone traveling

To all who have replied... same question, but what did you do about health care? Are there plans you can get for this type of 3-6 month stay?

Tags
travel