Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
The Hall income tax on interest and dividends is being phased out. From Wikipedia:

Effective Dates for Tax Rates
4% for tax years beginning January 1, 2017, and prior to January 1, 2018
3% for tax years beginning January 1, 2018, and prior to January 1, 2019
2% for tax years beginning January 1, 2019, and prior to January 1, 2020
1% for tax years beginning January 1, 2020, and prior to January 1, 2021
Full repeal for tax years beginning January 1, 2021

TN has no other income tax so OP should have no liability after 2020.
Wow. Damn, that's great. Thanks for the heads up.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
Spent my life in the state and lived at some time in all four major cities. My experience is the further I went west in the state, the less I liked it. IMO, Nashville just passed Memphis in size and is now too large for me. If I could start fresh over today, I'd head off into one of the small towns off I-81 in east TN. The weather tends not to be too hot and you can really have a nice winter with snow.
Some of those are really small, like 4K population. I'm not sure if I want a town that small. I like adult education, so I usually like a town near a university. 50K population is good.

p.s. Sorry for the double post.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

My DF retired to TN and really loved it there. We are also considering about RE in TN or NH. Taken 3 trips to TN in the past year checking it out.

Good: People, attitude of people, music, property taxes, income taxes, cost of utilities, weather along base of the Smokey Mountains & NC border.

The Bad: Sales tax, weather away from the Smokey's, roads have no berm (if you ever hike along the road), housing prices in desirable areas, crime in urban areas, crime in Memphis area, Southwest doesn't fly into Knoxville. Also the health care system has lower ranks, but not sure if this from certain isolated areas.

We happened to run into someone that retired from NH to TN and said it was a good move. We are going to NH within a month to check out RE there.
SnowBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBound View Post
roads have no berm (if you ever hike along the road)
What's that mean? I never heard it before. Berm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBound View Post
My DF retired to TN and really loved it there.

Good: People, attitude of people, music, property taxes, income taxes, cost of utilities, weather along base of the Smokey Mountains & NC border.
I like all that, too. That's a good list of pro's. Good cost of living, friendly people, mountains, good weather.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
What's that mean? I never heard it before. Berm?.

Though the meaning is variable, in this instance its synonymous with shoulder.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #26

I know quite a few people who moved from So CA to Nashville due to a Megacorp relocation. Most of them love the change. The reasons cited are:
- Four seasons climate - not sure where you are in MS, but may not have that now
- Prettier scenery; i.e., mountains/hills
- Slower pace of life
- Friendly people
- Lower CoL than CA, although higher than MS

On the downside, its not very close to an ocean if that has any importance. Weather (heat, humidity, rain, bugs) isnt as nice, but probably better than MS. And some prefer the culture in So CA, but youve already adapted to MS so no issue for you.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I was born and raised in Nashville, but moved to Memphis for college--staying 18 years. Moved home to Nashville and worked in Middle and East Tennessee for years. I live 20 miles south of Tennessee with the beautiful Tennessee River in my front hard. Let me keep this short and sweet as.possible:
The Hall Tax is a state income tax on income derived from outside the State of Tennessee. And it is being phased out. In state interest, dividends and business partnership incomes are not taxed. The state does have high sales taxes, but does not get you on personal property taxes on cars, boats, furniture and fixtures like other states.
Tennessee has 3 distinct regions--West, Middle, East.
West TN is not the.place to live due to a deteriorating society and cities that are not very nice. The land is flat--great farms--but not at all interesting.
Middle Tennessee is a great place to live, with Nashville as one of the fastest growing and lively cities in the U.S. But home prices in Nashville area are out of sight. Surrounding cities are hotspots and just about all are model communities. Many, many music and movie stars choose living south of Nashville when they could live anywhere--for the standard of living.
East Tennessee is mountainous and had a bunch of beautiful Tennessee River tributary lakes. Chattanooga, Knoxville and TriCities are the big population areas, but there are a bunch of medium size cities with very nice societies. .Johnson City/Jonesborough, Greenville and Morristown are.very nice cities in Upper East Tennessee. What I really like about East TN is.the unique people.
I have worked throughout the South extensively, including Mississippi. Other than the university towns there, society is poor economically and socially. Get out as soon as possible.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

It's off my list, due to a distinct lack of ocean.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #29

I looked at a few Youtube videos about Chattanooga. It looks great, perfect for me -- healthy art scene, lots of hiking, low CoL. It reminds me of Denver, southern style, minus the weed.

I'll have to visit there soon. Spend a week, see what it's like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I have worked throughout the South extensively, including Mississippi. Other than the university towns there, society is poor economically and socially. Get out as soon as possible.
Yeah, I'm in one of the university towns, so it's not so bad. But there's not much going on here besides restaurants and sports. Kind of dull. Pop is about 50K, so Chatt. will be 3x that.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I would want to be close to the river.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It's off my list, due to a distinct lack of ocean.
Yea, that is one thing we didn't like about living in Knoxville. About 6 hours drive to the Atlantic and 9 hours to the Gulf.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #32

Quote:
I looked at a few Youtube videos about Chattanooga. It looks great, perfect for me -- healthy art scene, lots of hiking, low CoL. It reminds me of Denver, southern style, minus the weed.

I'll have to visit there soon. Spend a week, see what it's like.

Yeah, I'm in one of the university towns, so it's not so bad. But there's not much going on here besides restaurants and sports. Kind of dull. Pop is about 50K, so Chatt. will be 3x that.
Chattanooga might be a really good choice for you. It is a nice smaller city on the TVA lake system, and only an hour and a half to Knoxville, and two hours to Atlanta or Nashville.

From my visits there it seems like a really nice city. But then I'm partial to national battlefield parks

There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken
Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Chattanooga might be a really good choice for you. It is a nice smaller city on the TVA lake system, and only an hour and a half to Knoxville, and two hours to Atlanta or Nashville.

From my visits there it seems like a really nice city. But then I'm partial to national battlefield parks
Yeah, that's right, it's got some amazing history.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I would want to be close to the river.
East Tennessee is amazing for river life. We never got into the boat culture (Vol navy et al) but regularly went out with our neighbor on their boat. We could launch at a local marina or public boat ramp and cruise 30 miles up stream and and then back in a day. Great fun. That's what we did for the eclipse last year.

And that is without traversing a lock, which the Corps of Engineers will cycle for even a john boat. From Knoxville or Chattanooga the Tennessee river system is navigable to the Mississippi and then to the Gulf.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #35

Timely thread as I've been planning a road trip to Eastern TN for this coming week. It is probable, although the massive heat wave is making me pause.

TN is on my list of possible post 2nd retirement places (after DC is in college or maybe after college). No state income tax, removal of the out of state interest/dividend tax. I like hiking and outdoors adventures.

I am also considering western states such as Arizona, Utah, Idaho, South Dakota but a trip to TN is easier logistically (I live in New York).
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:57 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I went to grad school in Murfreesboro (Middle Tn east of Nashville) back in the day and liked it a lot. My DIL is from Kingsport (East Tn) and speaks highly of it. Her family is still there and can't understand how she tolerates living in the Chicago burbs.

The only negative I can think of concerning Middle and East Tn would be the hot, hot summers if you aren't high in the mountains. But, I think Chicago summers are hot so it's all relative.......
Old 06-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I had an aunt who lived in Oak Ridge, TN. About 25 miles from Knoxville. Seemed like an nice little town when I visited. Population around 30k. Not recommending the area but one city to possibly consider.

https://exploreoakridge.com/
Old 06-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I've always enjoyed visiting the central portion of Tenn. (Nashville, especially.) My only suggestion would be to be certain you have the availability of good health care (clinics, hospitals, heart-care, cancer treatment, etc.) where ever you end up. As you (we) age, excellent health care facilities become a real issue for many if not most. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

All of the cities mentioned have 1st class health facilities. I think you would be very satisfied with the Chattanooga area. We came through there Wednesday and always in awe of what they have done with their waterfront including festivals, concerts, etc. The city is doing a great job. We also came up the Ocoee River and it is a magnificent white water for rafting and kayaking.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I guess it depends on what a person wants. Restaurants and sports related activities are high on my list. But the AL coast is also part of my normal routine so that adds variety for me.