Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I'd like to do that -- rent an apt. for a few months. I'd have to quit my job first. Couldn't get that much time off.

I could spend 7 or 8 days in a motel, check out the neighborhoods. I'd probably have to take a couple of trips like that, to get a feel. I'll use the shorter week-long trips to figure out if I want to move there.

That's a lot more research than I've done on any place I've ever moved. I've lived in about 7 states, moved about a dozen times. I've never known much where I was moving, just went there for other reasons (school, family). I never "sampled" a place like this before.
You might consider using airbnb or vrbo, and try to pick places in neighborhoods that look attractive. Seems like it'd be a little more of a living experience than staying in a motel. Just a thought.

I've heard really good things about Chattanooga, especially recently. I've stopped on my way through but never really spent time but it sounds to me like it fits the bill for you. I'm surprised it's only 3-5 degrees cooler. Maybe summer is a bit shorter too. It may not be much of a difference, but it's something. (edit: I just checked climate vs. the two major MS college towns. You are right. I'm still surprised.)

Any reason to limit the search to TN? There are a lot of good mountain towns in the southeast.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Everyone is different, but for me the cons are the bigger group here. Re: 3-5 degrees cooler, up in the sweltering range, 3-5 degrees F really matters hardly at all. You are still going to want to be inside with the AC on high. If a climate change is attractive, make it matter. Get some altitude and cooling in the Rockies, or the Sierra.

Ha
I forgot to list a very important criterion for me -- the friendliness of the people. I find people in the south a lot friendlier than people in CO or OR, generally speaking. I don't mean to offend anyone from those states, but that's been my personal experience and seems to fit with what I read online.

I'm an introvert, so if you put me in a place where people are a bit cool and aloof, then I'm not going to do well. I do much better in a place where the people are friendly and welcoming. So that's the main reason I took them off and concentrated on states in the southeast.

There are other reasons, too, like cost of living, politics, and distance from family.

The heat will be a pain, but oh well, no place is perfect; there are always tradeoffs. I'll deal with it. Other people mentioned that some of the mountain towns have very nice summers. I'll check those towns out, too. As long as the cities aren't too dinky, I could always live in the mountains, which would cool it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Any reason to limit the search to TN? There are a lot of good mountain towns in the southeast.
No, not really. KY and NC are also on my list. My brother said he'd prefer if I landed in TN, so that's why I started looking there first. But I could end up in KY or NC, too -- I'm looking in that general area. Doesn't have to be TN, but it drew my attention more than KY or NC did. I'm open, though.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I forgot to list a very important criterion for me -- the friendliness of the people. I find people in the south a lot friendlier than people in CO or OR, generally speaking. I don't mean to offend anyone from those states, but that's been my personal experience and seems to fit with what I read online.

I'm an introvert, so if you put me in a place where people are a bit cool and aloof, then I'm not going to do well. I do much better in a place where the people are friendly and welcoming. So that's the main reason I took them off and concentrated on states in the southeast.

There are other reasons, too, like cost of living, politics, and distance from family.

The heat will be a pain, but oh well, no place is perfect; there are always tradeoffs. I'll deal with it. Other people mentioned that some of the mountain towns have very nice summers. I'll check those towns out, too. As long as the cities aren't too dinky, I could always live in the mountains, which would cool it off.

No, not really. KY and NC are also on my list. My brother said he'd prefer if I landed in TN, so that's why I started looking there first. But I could end up in KY or NC, too -- I'm looking in that general area. Doesn't have to be TN, but it drew my attention more than KY or NC did. I'm open, though.
+1 in general with the people from the South.
Where I lived in the North, no one said hi or good morning unless you knew each other. Plus the friendliness in some of the retail services/friendliness such as Publix is far superior.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Interesting, I found OR to have the most friendly people on the trails. I only spent a week there. Overall, I can't really say.

For NC, check out Boone. Asheville is another possibility but it seems to me that it has gotten very crowded and expensive.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

ER Eddie, come see me in Linville, NC (30 minutes south of Boone, NC, 30 minutes east of Johnson City TN.). Linville might be characterized as "dinky" but not so noticeable , there is so much to do. High today was 76, wonderful weather. And friendly folks. Come flatfoot dancing with me at Altapass Orchard located in the Blue Ridge Parkway (or if you don't dance come and listen to great Bluegrasss bands). I will introduce you to so many friendly people you head will spin. Of course I am a major extrovert, but sitting in the nice weather on the back porch is fun too.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Is there anything screwy about the TN health insurance market? I'll probably have to get Obamacare.

Thanks for the clarification!
I’m not from Tennessee, but I’ve read stories of the struggles and near collapse of the ACA in Tennessee. Here’s a story from last year about warnings that I assume never came to pass. Still I’d look at it carefully if I were you.

What’s Going on in Tennessee? One Possible Reason for Its Affordable Care Act Challenges - Center on Health Insurance Reforms
HGTVfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Wrong state. Deliverance was filmed on the Chattooga River on the GA/SC border. I am sitting about 25 miles from there in my RV, and I can hear those chords in my head.
I am well aware having done the Chattooga several times in the 80's.
I was referring to "The Vibe" more than anything.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
...I live in the summer in a small place -- Linville North Carolina...
Knock it off. We'll have even more people move here!

Yeah, been in NC for 40 years now. Planning on moving west to the mountains (from the middle) in a few years. Beats TN, since the weather (rain, hot air damming) is on the TN side. Politics are not so great. (Too) Many FL plates in the mountains during the summer, but whatever.

+1 for Linville area. Love hiking the Gorge, and the caverns!
camfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:04 PM   #69
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
On the losing side in the War of Nortern Aggression, not for me.
Sorry. Northern, not Nortern.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:00 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
You might consider using airbnb or vrbo, and try to pick places in neighborhoods that look attractive. Seems like it'd be a little more of a living experience than staying in a motel. Just a thought.

I've heard really good things about Chattanooga, especially recently. I've stopped on my way through but never really spent time but it sounds to me like it fits the bill for you. I'm surprised it's only 3-5 degrees cooler. Maybe summer is a bit shorter too. It may not be much of a difference, but it's something. (edit: I just checked climate vs. the two major MS college towns. You are right. I'm still surprised.)

I second the idea of staying in a VRBO or Airbnb home rather than a hotel. Whenever we’ve traveled to other areas to check them out, we’ve also tried to do things we’d do at home, like go to the grocery stores, local restaurants, etc., to get a feel for what it would be like to actually live in the place. Also walking, biking or driving around a lot of neighborhoods is good.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:27 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

My sister has a second home in Banner-Elk, NC, a ski community just outside of Boone. After living in Memphis, she cannot get over how nice and genuine the people in the region are. The same goes for those citizens living in Upper East Tennessee.

The benefit for living in Tennessee is much lower taxation (than NC or SC.)
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I live in central NC. If we had to move, East TN would be very high on our list.

I'm getting more and more tolerant of hot weather and less and less of cold. I'm even liking the humidity more. Weird. I think it has to do with the skin cracking in dry weather.

Of course, these last few days have been tough. Much like below zero days up north. You can deal with it, but you may not enjoy it. Welcome to southern winter. Crank the A/C. Westerners need not apply. Stay where you are.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Just another thought if climate is the main reason for a relocation. Plenty of northerns head south for the winter. No reason hot climate retirees can't head to the mountains during the warmest weeks of the summer. A permanent may not be required.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Chattanooga has grown by leaps and bounds over the last few years. Traffic can be a bear at times...the infrastructure hasn't kept up with the growth.

+1 on eastern TN. I absolutely love the Tri-Cities area and if wasn't for moving to "fly over country" to be closer to the DW's family, that would be my #1 choice for retirement. Probably something near Elizabethton (population of about 16,000). If you need "bigger town" stuff, Johnson City (population about 70,000) is a short 10 miles down the road.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Chattanooga has grown by leaps and bounds over the last few years. Traffic can be a bear at times...the infrastructure hasn't kept up with the growth.
Hm, that's a concern. I may end up landing in a smaller city in the SE TN area, then, rather than Chattanooga. I saw that real estate values are forecast to rise 10% next year, so it's growing fast. It would be nice to get in while the property values are still reasonable, but I wouldn't want to live in a city that is going to get real crowded over the next decade, which could be Chattanooga's fate.

Thanks for the suggestions of other places to check out. That goes for other people making suggestions of individual towns, too. Appreciate the input. I'll mark them on the map.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Weather report from Linville, NC in the North Carolina mountains. I am currently sitting on the back porch looking at Grandfather Mountain in the distance. Temperature is 70 degrees, low humidity, no wind, partly cloudy. It is cool enough I had to go inside and get a sweater.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Give us a report in January too. My DD went to Appalachian State in Boone, and froze. I prefer a little lower elevation, but still in the mountains.
camfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Well I have to admit that come November I head back down to Chapel Hill, NC for the winter. Of course in Chapel Hill today it was 94 degrees.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Coming home from our place in the NE Georgia mountains today, we drove through Hiawassee, GA. It is a town on islands in the middle of Lake Chatuge. They city is surrounded by mountains, and absolutely beautiful.

We went west over the mountain to Young Harris, GA, and the terrain was even more beautiful. This is just north of the highest peak in Georgia's Blue Ridge Mountains--Brasstown Bald--10 miles from NC. All I could think of was the high quality of life in such a beautiful place--and also affordable.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I forgot to list a very important criterion for me -- the friendliness of the people. I find people in the south a lot friendlier than people in CO or OR, generally speaking.
I know what you mean, and IMO you are correct. The way to be happy with people in the Rockies or Pacific coast is to spend 10 years or so in Boston as prep. After that, anyplace else will seem unbelievably friendly.

Ha