Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Good advice. If you buy a place on the beach it (or pieces of it) will likely end up 20 miles inland when the next big gulf hurricane blows through...
Just about all the homes on Crystal Beach (Bolivar Peninsula) across the bay from Galveston (east direction) ended up in Trinity Bay during Ike (or at least the lumber did). So much for beachfront living.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This site should give you a good idea of what Ike did to Bolivar.

Hurricane Ike Before and After Pictures

While things have come back, it will take a very long time!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
DW and I have decided to jump in the car and drive the coast for fun and education. I think renting for a month or two might be best bet vs transplanting. Looks like the cost for anything nice is out of reach.
Yep, that's what my wife and I do. We rent a house near Rockport for about two months (mid-January thru mid-March). Nice location, nice weather there at that time of year, and it gets us out of part of the long winter here in Michigan. This will be our fourth year of going down there.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting thread since I just decided to move to the Houston area and prefer South Houston to be closer to more of my relatives. I wasn't planning to move all of the way to the coast but I am going close.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have family and friends in Texas, including Houston, so am thinking about snowbirding on the coast for a few months in the winter once I retire. But it wouldn't happen for a few more years. I've read Rae's posts with interest and Rockport sounds like a possibility. I'm just interested in renting a small condo - not buying. Hope that Tailgate will keep us updated on whatever he decides.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

We used to own a beachfront property in Virginia - sold it this year. The rate at which things rust and corrode is hard to comprehend until you have lived through it. It is one thing when it is an income property, but as a retirement property make sure you budget for a lot more maintenance than in a non-beach location.
David3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

We own a house in New Smyrna Beach Florida. Step off our deck into the beach sand of the barrier island just half a mile beach walk from Cape Canaveral National Seashore.

Oh, we can sit on our rooftop deck and watch the rocket launches too!

We rent it out to vacationers about 18-22 weeks a year, which mostly covers the cash flow. We get to use it only 3-4 weeks a year, at least until our kids graduate from high school in 7 years...

NSB is a wonderful, low key, low density surfer/artist town worth checking out.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any guesses as to what Tesla may soon reveal?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote