Join Early Retirement Today

Living With Older Children By Choice
Old 05-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Living With Older Children By Choice

There was the recent post about children living at home and the best approach to get them out. About 4 years ago, we (DW, DD, & SIL) decided to reduce our footprint and live together. We had all been living in our own homes in different cities. DD finished school (second degree, older student), and we moved to the town where her new job was located. SIL works from home. We are fully retired.

It seems most multi-generational households are the consequence of children who need financial help or parents/relatives who can no longer take care of themselves. The popular literature does not discuss house sharing by choice.

I was curious, are there others that have made the choice we have in terms of multi-generational living arrangement? ('By choice' means to me that household members prefer this multi-generational lifestyle even though they have the financial means and/or health that would allow them change their living arrangement).
savory is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I chimed in the other thread..... but yours is much different...

The other one is about a child who is mooching off of parents.... parents who want them OUT... a big difference than a mutual agreement where the child is working and putting money toward the household and not mooching...

I have zero interest in doing this, but who knows when I am older...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #3

Agree with Texas Proud. We are unlikely to do this, but it presents many benefits as long as everyone is onboard.

My four cousins grew up sharing a duplex with our widowed grandmother. That worked well for all concerned, I believe. (Not certain on the finances, but I think it was dual ownership with my aunt/uncle and went to them at grandmother's death; no discord, as they did assist grandma, especially in her 80s.)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Not my cup of tea but no reason not to do it if everyone is on board.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #5

The 60+ year old woman across the street has her 39 year old son and his 10 year old son living with her. The reason is that the 39 year old son had a hit and run accident in 2014 while on a suspended license and having no car insurance. He has stopped paying his restitution to his victim. He is not allowed to have a license, drive or own a car. This limits his options for employment. It appears that sometimes he works for his brother, doing some kind of labor in construction.

They all seem to get along well. The 39 year old does a lot of yard work and maintenance around the house. The 10 year old is a great kid and there are plenty of aunts and uncles and cousins nearby. Outside of the legal issues it all looks fine from across the street. But when you check the county legal records......yeah, not so pretty.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #6

We built an ADA accessible granny flat behind our house and my in laws lived in it half the year for 5 years. They weren't in the same house but were less than 100 ft away.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
We built an ADA accessible granny flat behind our house and my in laws lived in it half the year for 5 years. They weren't in the same house but were less than 100 ft away.
Yes, I believe that are a lot of people deciding to live with/in support of parents and children given some need; the need is often financial/health or some inability to live alone.

In our case, both couples mainly wanted to reduce their footprint. We looked at co-op living and other choices. When our DD and SIL heard we were doing this, they approached us and said they could help us meet our goal and they shared the same goal.

We negotiated a living arrangement that we felt would work for all of us. This included everything from sharing costs to requiring us to leave for 8 weeks so they could have some privacy. While we did not write it down, we have been following the agreement or at least how it has evolved, it's working great.
savory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #8

I won't mention my ethnic background , but years ago , most of my background had 8-10 kids . Sunday dinner was a must attend, if you were bad someone near you gave you a slap. every holiday was like a boy scout jamboree . everyone lived in the neighborhood . the houses that once held tons of people were sort of empty , thus, usually a few of the younger children once they got married stayed with the parents .it was a given, seemed to work well . it was not to help the parents (years later they would ), or to save money . it was in my eyes a cultural thing . nowadays its the exception rather than the rule .
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My in-laws do this. We might do it some day with our kids. Might have something to do with culture since DW is SE Asian and multi-generational living is pretty common.

Our kids are pretty great to get along with in general but a lot can change during their teen years. I think mutual respect and understanding are the keys here. Parents and children treating each other as adults.

Lots of pros - we would save a bit of money if we collect rent from a kid. One set of Netflix, internet, etc bills. Groceries in bulk. Might be nice to have grandkids in the house (or not!). Someone to house sit when we're gone for long vacations (something I hope increases when we're not in charge of watching kids under age 18). Good way to let the kid(s) turbocharge their savings.

It's not really a part of our FIRE plans but if it works out it might be nice. I'm not opposed to it because "successful adult kids shouldn't live with their parents". Seems like a silly construct like your yard should always look impeccable or you should spend 3 months salary on an engagement ring.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #10

I didn't actually "launch" and get an apartment until I was 25. Dad died suddenly when I was 22 and I was handy around the house to fix/maintain things. Me and Mom got along well so it worked. After college (two-year degree) I had a job and could have rented an apartment but it would have been pretty tight financially. She charged a token $40/month or something, this was early 1970's so it might have even covered what I ate. When I was hired by the police department that paid much better and I could easily afford an apartment but I stayed until my older sister boomeranged back with a 2-year-old son after a divorce. She tried to keep him quiet when I was sleeping during the day, but hey, the kid is two so he's not going to be quiet all the time. That was when I finally moved out. There was no drama to it.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

My parents are in their 80s. My husband and I talk about buying a two house or two flat arrangement from time to time, but they insist that they're doing fine on their own. My mom's younger and still a good driver.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Two examples- a coworker and his wife, probably late 50s, went in with their 2 daughters and sons-in-law and bought a gigantic house with two kitchens. Grandchildren in the mix, too. It seemed to be working out well.

My house has a lower level with 2 bedrooms, a full bath , kitchen and living area and a porch overlooking the lake. The parents of the wife of the couple who sold it to us lived there for 13 years.

I've talked to DS about eventually moving into independent living near them (3 1/2 hours away) someday. At 64, not ready for it. He said he'd rather have me live with them but I suspect DDIL's parents may need help one day- they've worked hard but at modest jobs. No need to decide yet.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

When I had jury duty last year everyone in the pool had to say who they lived with. I was surprised at the number of multi-generational households. I think that might be due partly to cultural tradition with the diverse ethnicity of our area and partly due to the cost of housing, especially combined with Prop 13. Prop 13 often makes continued living in the family home a better deal than paying rent or property taxes in a newly purchased home at current property valuations.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My DD and her fiance are living with his parents temporarily while saving to build a house later this year.... think both parties are fine with it temporarily but neither would not adopt it as a lifestyle choice.

I not want to live with my Mother (or sisters) or have our kids live with us.

DW's mom added a granny flat to her house, moved in there and then DW's eldest sister bought the other side. Something like that would be fine with me as long as we each had our own space.... my mother still smokes so living with us is a non-starter for both me and DW.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
My DD and her fiance are living with his parents temporarily while saving to build a house later this year.... think both parties are fine with it temporarily but neither would not adopt it as a lifestyle choice.
Yeah, my parents lived with my paternal grandparents while Dad was in college. Even though they were basically good people, they my grandma lacked the warmth of my maternal grandmother and she and my grandpa used to communicate a lot by bickering- something else my maternal grandparents never did. Mom told me over and over again that you should never live with your in-laws!
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Amen!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Mom told me over and over again that you should never live with your in-laws!
We did live with FIL for about three weeks when I retired. The builder of the new house was late finishing it (they forgot to apply for some needed permit) and we had to be out of the old house by then. I think I got along better with him than DW did! But I could see he was happy to see us go to the new house.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #18

DW and I have a house much larger than we actually need. DS (35+) lives here and pays rent. Plus he provides security and groundskeeping when we're gone. Works for us.
If we could find another kid to take care of our lakehouse we'd truly be free.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #19

My daughter, son-in-law and I have talked some about the possibility of us having a multigenerational house at some point. We would both require our private living quarters. I can see it working for us after I'm too old for taking care of my house by myself. We all would save some money that way and I probably would feel safer with them closer.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #20

I saved this article for reference in case we decide to go that route.
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2009/0...randma-in.html
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote