Looking for places to become a Snowbird

kevin92610

Dryer sheet aficionado
Having just survived my first winter in Colorado I am now thinking about places where I could go to be a "snowbird". Visited St. Pete's beach this spring and really liked the area and it's proximity to Tampa's airport.

Anyone have insight into what it is like to actually live down there, what the market is like, etc?

Also if you guys have other ideas on popular snowbird destinations that might be more affordable in this housing bubble. For me one of the biggest criteria would be a major airport nearby. I really like the idea of being able to hop on a plane in Denver and then walk off at my destination without having to get on a "puddle-jumper".

St Pete Beach is a good place affordability wise as long as you dont plan on waterfront property,you could also try some of the communities to the north like Madiera,Reddington,Indian rocks etc,open beaches end around Clearwater

Tons of snowbirds here in Arizona, the state next door to you. Some people hang out in Phoenix while others go to Yuma (like our Montana relatives).

With the increasing transportation costs (OIL) you might better enjoy the reduced costs of travel to AZ or NM. Time & expense of FL travel can become prohibitive. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.;)

We liked the John's Pass area (rented a condo on the beach just north in Madeira). But 2 things turned us off. The high property taxes for snowbirds and the high costs of insurance because of hurricane risks,

We avoided the SW because of concerns about water. So we landed in PV because they get tons of rain every summer and have a good water management system to provide for the remainder of the year. Thei water quality is excellent and to make the point they have installed public fountains along their Malecon.

Having just survived my first winter in Colorado I am now thinking about places where I could go to be a "snowbird". Visited St. Pete's beach this spring and really liked the area and it's proximity to Tampa's airport.

Anyone have insight into what it is like to actually live down there, what the market is like, etc?

I really like that area for a getaway. SP Beach, Sunset Beach, Passe-a-Grille all have gorgeous beaches, funky houses, high prices (but much lower now) and could easily become permanent housing given the proximity to infinite shopping, downtown St. Pete. We have thought about it if a Fla downsizing becomes part of our plans. Newer construction (<1992) would be wise given the hurricane risk, but many are already compliant.

Try the greater Phoenix area- FinanceDude posted a good summary of his recent vacation here in the Travel Forum. Close to Colorado, easy 1.5 hour direct flights- Southwest Airlines and Frontier flying PHX-DEN are keeping prices down on the route.

Communities- I am partial to the East Valley- more scenic, not as flat as the West Valley. Scottsdale is very nice, but very pricey. Fountain Hils is great for winter snowbird acivities. NE Mesa is mostly new construction, very scenic ,still affordable, CHEAP property taxes. The new Red Mountain Freeway (Loop 202) is set to open up in October- the area will suddenly will be very accessible, prices are just starting to climb in anticipation...look for property around Red Mountain or near Usery Pass/Tonto National Forest/ Superstition Mountains. To the east, Gold Canyon is another sleeper, the area is just starting to take off.
Head further south to Gilbert or Queeen Creek, these areas are also benefitting from the new freeway. Lots of developments, some directed at retirees. Friends just moved from KC to a active retirement community called Solera- they love it, we visited and were very impressed with the community and amenities.
Contrary to popular belief, water is not a big problem in PHX. My water bills are less than they were in the Midwest-(no grass, drip systems, xeriscape landscaping...) All the local reservoirs are full, and Lake Powell on the Colorado River is supposed to come up 50' or more with the record snowpacks.

Interesting insights... my wife is going to have a field day with this :)

Keep it coming... I am interested in any and all ideas!!

regards, Kevin

Having just survived my first winter in Colorado...

I really like the idea of being able to hop on a plane in Denver and then walk off at my destination without having to get on a "puddle-jumper".

Survived!?!?! I grew up in South Dakota and have spent the past 32 years in Denver. Colorado winters are what everyone dreams of (at least in Denver) -- sunny skies -- 75º in December and snowfall that is gone within two days. Who could ask for anything more?

Anyway, my suggestion is Hawaii, of course. The attached image was taken out of our hotel room but I did notice plenty of free living space, right down on the water, all along that coast just west of Honolulu and may even consider that someday. (At least, it seemed that hundreds were enjoying it.) We seem to get to Hawaii every year (since 1970) and have not been disappointed yet.

Attachments

• 1013_IMG_8812___20D___Print.jpg
    1013_IMG_8812___20D___Print.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 10

Also if you guys have other ideas on popular snowbird destinations that might be more affordable in this housing bubble. For me one of the biggest criteria would be a major airport nearby. I really like the idea of being able to hop on a plane in Denver and then walk off at my destination without having to get on a "puddle-jumper".
Y'know what I would do, if I were you? I'd make a list of all destinations with direct flights from Denver. Then I'd cross off those in cold regions or otherwise unacceptable, and look more closely at the rest. If you prefer one to another, eliminate the less preferred. I think you could reduce the list to a dozen or so pretty quickly, and then you could investigate those more thoroughly. Once you have narrowed your list down to a half dozen, you could take a vacation in each and check them out! Sounds like fun, huh. :D

i highly recommend south florida. in fact, i happen to have two houses i can sell you. one in palm beach county on the water just a half hour from two international airports. and one near downtown fort lauderdale just a 3-mile bike ride to the beach and less than a $20-cab ride to the airport. the lauderdale house is in a (snow)bird sanctuary requiring all domestic cats to be leashed so you will not only find it convenient but safe as well.

Y'know what I would do, if I were you? I'd make a list of all destinations with direct flights from Denver. Then I'd cross off those in cold regions or otherwise unacceptable, and look more closely at the rest. If you prefer one to another, eliminate the less preferred. I think you could reduce the list to a dozen or so pretty quickly, and then you could investigate those more thoroughly. Once you have narrowed your list down to a half dozen, you could take a vacation in each and check them out! Sounds like fun, huh. :D

Oh boy!!! my wife is going to kill my bank account with this idea but you do make a lot of sense.

Survived!?!?! I grew up in South Dakota and have spent the past 32 years in Denver. Colorado winters are what everyone dreams of (at least in Denver) -- sunny skies -- 75º in December and snowfall that is gone within two days. Who could ask for anything more?

Ron, I just moved here a year ago and visited the previous year. I moved here based on exactly what you say about the winters... HOWEVER, neither one of the past 2 winters have been anything like that. I pretty much had 8" of snow locked down on my yard from Dec - Mar and we were still getting snow in May!! So for now...I survived.... hopefully, things get back to normal and I can enjoy those sunny winter skies :)

ReWahoo writes regularly about the charms of the Hill Country of Texas... :p

I'd recommend either Louisiana or New Mexico...

ReWahoo writes regularly about the charms of the Hill Country of Texas... :p

I'd recommend either Louisiana or New Mexico...
Ah, Louisiana! There are direct flights from Denver to New Orleans. There is always a good time to be had down here. We have everything from Christmas bonfires along the Mississippi to light the way for Papa Noel, Carnival season from the Twelfth Night leading up to Mardi Gras, the Irish-Italian parades, JazzFest, and much more for you to do during the winter season. The art, music, and architecture down here is always amazing. I'm told the fishing is great. You could pick up a second home in New Orleans, either beautiful and ready to move into or (if you are seeking a bargain) one that needs to be gutted and renovated due to Katrina damage. So there you go. Louisiana.

I highly recommend Az - nice short flight from Co. I stay in Scottsdale - only 30 minutes from Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix. Winter weather is probably a little cooler in Az than Fl, but probably sunnier.

Ah, Louisiana! There are direct flights from Denver to New Orleans. There is always a good time to be had down here. We have everything from Christmas bonfires along the Mississippi to light the way for Papa Noel, Carnival season from the Twelfth Night leading up to Mardi Gras, the Irish-Italian parades, JazzFest, and much more for you to do during the winter season. The art, music, and architecture down here is always amazing. I'm told the fishing is great. You could pick up a second home in New Orleans, either beautiful and ready to move into or (if you are seeking a bargain) one that needs to be gutted and renovated due to Katrina damage. So there you go. Louisiana.

Thought you were looking to get out of NO and retire in Southern Missouri?

Thought you were looking to get out of NO and retire in Southern Missouri?
Yes, we are, which is why I didn't mention New Orleans until someone else did. You are sure alert to pick up on that already, having signed up for the board just last month! Wow.

Frank and I both need to get away from New Orleans as soon as we qualify for retirement benefits. The stress of uncertain levees, out of control crime, crooked politicians, and living in the midst of what we perceive to be a tremendous, overwhelming, all-encompassing tragedy affecting every single one of our friends, co-workers, relatives, and acquaintances is wearing on us. Every day it breaks our hearts to see the city and its people just broken like this, and every day we remember what it was like right after the storm in the nearly empty city with the military helicopters, water everywhere, ruins, and deserted boats strewn about, and despite the ongoing recovery that nightmare doesn't seem to recede for us. Had we left right after the storm and settled elsewhere, perhaps we wouldn't still be in "run away!" mode and have these memories but we are and we do. To be frank, I find it very frightening and I really don't want to talk about it any more.

I would not presume to project these feelings on someone from another state, though, who would probably approach Louisiana from an entirely different perspective.

Naturally we are torn, since Louisiana is our home, but we tentatively do not plan to remain since we believe that for us, that would not be an especially healthy thing to do. If we were thinking of being snowbirds, we might consider it (because we could just leave so easily) but we do not plan to do that.

Last edited:
Ron, I just moved here a year ago and visited the previous year. I moved here based on exactly what you say about the winters... HOWEVER, neither one of the past 2 winters have been anything like that. I pretty much had 8" of snow locked down on my yard from Dec - Mar and we were still getting snow in May!! So for now...I survived.... hopefully, things get back to normal and I can enjoy those sunny winter skies :)

Denver winters in the early 1980s were what you would call "normal" with short bursts of snow followed by delectably warm, sunny days. Since I moved back to CO almost four years ago I can't say that I recognize the same kind of winter. And, yes, winter kept coming through May this year. Not to my liking at all.

On a different but similar topic: Summers are HOTTER than they were in the early 1980s. Now you have to have air conditioning of some kind or another. Then, air conditioning was optional and rarely needed because evenings cooled off so dramatically. Now, it can stay really warm all night long.

Hmmmm. I don't even remember shoveling any snow last Winter (although I am sure I must have). On the other hand, we did do a bit of traveling in the past year. In any event, I stand by my earlier statement.

There is an interesting discussion at Large Cities with Most Harsh Winters (climate, fall, april, july) - Weather - City-Data Forum where there are a wide variety of opinions about Denver's weather. One of the participants, however, adds this comment that I agree with:

"The unique thing about Denver is it's location EAST of the mountains. This plays a hugely fundamental role in determining the climate here. While we are certainly subject to arctic outbreaks and periods of snow, we also benefit from warming winds off the leeward (eastern) side of the mountains (this is called chinook for those who aren't familiar). These winds are also what gives Denver 60º+ days in mid-January. High wind events are most common during the winter months with Denver's western suburbs and the Boulder area usually getting hit the hardest (sometimes reaching over 100mph). Chinook events (which create warmer temperatures) are FAR more common than snowstorms. This phenomenon is common in Montana, Wyoming and New Mexico, as well as Canadian cities east of the Rockies (especially Calgary).

Conversely, the mountains also play a role in giving us huge snowstorms; low pressure systems (with counter-clockwise flow) moving along the CO/NM border draw moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and hurdle it into the Front Range. The mountains act as a wall, forcing the clouds to drop their moisture on Denver and other communities along the Front Range. During these types of set-ups, locations east of the Continental Divide receive the most snow (Denver frequently reports more snow than most ski resorts during these storms). These storms mentioned above are rare and, on average, only happen every few years. Most of Denver's annual snowfall is supplied by, perhaps, a dozen snowfalls producing 6 inches of snow or less. Between storms, Denver almost always enjoys a thawing period where most, if not all, of the snow on the ground melts. Even when temperatures remain around freezing, Denver sees many hours of sunshine during winter days."

I have done a lot of traveling over the years and I would find it very difficult to move somewhere else permanently. On the other hand, I am not promoting Denver as a place to retire to -- if nothing else, the cost of living is a little on the high side. And, of course, Denver is NOT Colorado by any means.

Another resource might be this article from February 2007:

Denver Exceeds Seasonal Snowfall - Denver Weather News Story - KMGH Denver

Back
Top Bottom