Looking to buy up in FIRE

LOVELY view! I hope your new home is wonderful and adds joy to every day of your life, now that you are all moved in.
In hindsight I think we would have been better off first selling our current home and letting it close, then moving to temporary quarters while searching for our new home. Doing both simultaneously almost did us in. YMMV of course.
My experience moving back on July 1, 2015, was grueling and too much for me. I simply WAY overdid it, both physically and mentally.

If we ever move again, which I doubt, I have a plan (which is a little different from yours but has the same objective). I'll pack 1 suitcase and move into the nearby extended stay America place, where you can rent a furnished suite with kitchenette on a weekly basis. Then I'll have the moving company pack up everything, and move it to the new place. Then I can go and live there, and unpack at my leisure.

I would be reluctant to sell the old home first, because living in a showroom and showing the house frequently is horrible. So, I'd probably still sell the old home after moving into the new home. Overall, my imaginary moving plan would be expensive but I'd probably be less of a basket case once it's over.

Congratulations! Enjoy and send us some beach pics eventually as well. Looks absolutely stunning. I'll be looking out our lanai to see if I can see your place. :LOL: Wait, that's 2500 miles and mostly through water! Do enjoy and keep us posted. Aloha.

Congratulations and enjoy your new home! Glad you got through the stress of closing and moving and can now relax and enjoy your gorgeous view. I find that having the ocean as my back yard relaxes and inspires me.

Oh, gorgeous!

Looks lovely. Enjoy. "Moving up"in retirement can be exciting. It really is a new life and living in a very nice new place makes a lot of sense. If you are worried about boredom, this can help prevent it. We did the same, 20% of net worth tied up in personal use real estate is quite normal and approximates our percentage.

Enjoy your new home. I'll be following in your footsteps. We retired twenty years ago and moved to a larger, more expensive house. Being home more we realized we wanted more house. We lived downtown in a beach community (Los Angeles County), I finally decided I wanted more space and privacy, so we sold and plan to have more land and a larger house. We have the freedom to live anywhere, but don't want to be too far from our kids/grandkids.
Several years ago on a bike ride in San Diego County I picked up a real estate magazine and was amazed at the prices in Rancho Santa Fe, much more house for much less than Los Angeles County, but we decided it was just too far south.
I looked online at housing prices in Orange County, still more house for less money, we were sold. We lived there years ago and still have friends there. We still want a lot with a little space around us (1/4 acre or more). We are now selling our investment property in the South Bay, when it sells we will buy in Orange County.

Back
Top Bottom