Looks like I am going back to work

For me, FI was never about retiring. It was always about lifestyle choice.

Sounds good to me, especially the wife being able to travel with you! Enjoy it, until you no longer do, and then stop.

For me, FI was never about retiring. It was always about lifestyle choice.
+1, well said.

There's room for thoughtful disagreement on ER (though not always the case here), but not on FI IMHO. If anyone has ever discouraged FI, I haven't seen it...

I've always thought that working could be a lot more fun without the pressure of needing the job.

+1

Once reaching FI, personal satisfaction becomes job 1- whether it includes a paycheck or not.

Life is short. You have a choice on what you do. Do what ever makes you and your family the happiest. We all have different paths.

Here is an update as promised: Job lasted for a year in Dubai, the company decided to move the job back to the states and I decided that I did not want to work there. With all the taxes (Fed, State, SSN and all, it is not financially worth it. So, I set my retirement back in Motion. Well it did not last long, two weeks later, another company got in touch, offered me more $$ to move to South East Asia for 3-5 more years. Well I was packed, I said what the heck. I believe the retirement GODS are against me. its very hard to walk away when they throw money at you.

My understanding of financial independence is: work when I want to, not when I need to. Sounds like you want to. Very cool.

Perhaps another way I'd check myself, if I were in a similar situation: If I don't need the money, would I still take the job if the pay weren't this good?

In my view financial independence means you can choose what you want to do without regard to money, including work. If it looks enjoyable go for it! If things change you have the freedom to walk away from it without impacting your finances.

+1
Having financial independence means you have financial certainty, freedom to choose, and the opportunity for fulfillment (something pre-ER'd folks don't have). Since you say you're looking for a challenge, this seems like a good fit--until you decide that it doesn't/no longer does.

I can't imagine going back to work after RE. But if it makes you happy, why not? Some people can RE for good, others may not have the personality to retire early and be bored out of their mind. Recently read an article from Onion about this ... ;).

It's has always been about the choice to do exactly what you want. If it is good for you and energizes you, why not? I've been offered a temporary fill in position by my old employer and I don't even retire until mid-September. The nutty thing is that they may need me the day after what was supposed to be my last day. I think I might be able to command top dollar under the circumstances, and it's easy work. So why not? (I'll only need to work a week then get 3 weeks off until potentially I am needed again).

Well, if you feel you'd be happier working (presuming its a good situation) than being retired, why not.

Back
Top Bottom