Managing aches and pains

Glad you are feeling better W2R .Maybe you should try some stretching exercises for your back so this does not happen again.

Glad you are feeling better W2R .Maybe you should try some stretching exercises for your back so this does not happen again.
Good idea, just in case. That said, it has been over 30 years since the last time this happened. If it's another 30 years before the next time, I'll be 99 years old. :D

I'm joining late in the game here, but stretching before and after (don't forget the after!) does wonders. I notice it right away (the next day, and even worse the 2nd day) when I forget to do one of them. Playing 6 hours a day, or 2 hours straight for 5 days a week would be way too much for me though. (I play pretty intensive volleyball with long rallies, and I can only do 2 hours of twice a week, but I am in my late 50's. I sleep a whole lot more the next day and the day after I play.) Anyway, stretching is a forgotten reliever of an exercise-induced pain IMHO. I even do back and hamstring stretches while playing.

As for what caused it, well, it didn't seem like any of what I did was that bad even though I am really out of shape and not lifting weights lately.

Since that major back strain back in the eighties, I would have one every two years or so. I did regular crunches, but that didn't keep them away.

Then, I started doing planking. Every five days I do one-minute front (face down) and one-minute back planks (face up). Offset from that by two days, I do side planks. My to-do app reminds me. Lena and I do them together. We hate them.

Since 2011, I have only had a few minor strains, the kind that are gone in a day or so.

Last edited:
Since that major back strain back in the eighties, I would have one every two years or so. I did regular crunches, but that didn't keep them away.

Then, I started doing planking. Every five days I do one-minute front (face down) and one-minute back planks (face up). Offset from that by two days, I do side planks. My to-do app reminds me. Lena and I do them together. We hate them.

Since 2011, I have only had a few minor strains, the kind that are gone in a day or so
That’s interesting Al. I do front and side planks in the same session but I never tried back planks. Are they key for strengthening your lower back? Also, is there a reason to do the side planks on another day or are you just mixing it up out of preference?

Well, I got back on the court yesterday after taking four days off. The pain was almost completely gone so I figured it was time. I limited my total play time to 90 minutes. Today I feel fine, although I can tell that I played yesterday but no real major aches, just feeling like I got a good workout.

So today will be a day off for me. I swim on a team three days a week, so I'll probably limit my pickleball play to three days a week, and then take one day off from strenuous exercise and just go for a long walk.

One of the guys I play with is 74 years old. He still works 40 hours a week painting houses, climbing on ladders all day long. I asked him if he ever gets any aches from playing pickleball and he said never, he feels great. I can't imagine climbing on ladders and painting at 74 years old, but he looks like he's in great shape, so good for him. I hope to be that energetic at his age.

I can't imagine climbing on ladders and painting at 74 years old, but he looks like he's in great shape, so good for him. I hope to be that energetic at his age.

One of the volunteers at the gym is a guy who is 85 and looks 65. He freely acknowledges that while he did take care of himself and eats right, he credits most of it to genetics.

That’s interesting Al. I do front and side planks in the same session but I never tried back planks. Are they key for strengthening your lower back?

I do the back ones just to balance out the front, and my take is that that is important, like balancing biceps and triceps exercises.

I see them as all important for the lower back.

Also, is there a reason to do the side planks on another day or are you just mixing it up out of preference?

Just to mix them up, make it less unpleasant at one time.

I’ve played a little pickle ball, but a lot of squash, tennis and platform tennis. Buy the best cushioning shoes made for hard Court tennis you can afford. Replace them frequently— like maybe every three months on your schedule. Even if not worn out. Read and heed. Buy good cushioning socks. Buy inserts if your foot shape requires them. Yes the cost adds up but it is cheaper than a surgery. Really it makes a difference. If you have a tendency for tendonitis then consider a compression sleeve. Don’t ignore pain — you can turn an easily solved injury into a chronic one. Meaning it will never leave you unless you take a very long sabbatical. I’m not a doctor but talking to a sports doc or rehab Pro is not a bad idea. Good luck.

I’ve played a little pickle ball, but a lot of squash, tennis and platform tennis. Buy the best cushioning shoes made for hard Court tennis you can afford. Replace them frequently— like maybe every three months on your schedule.

Appreciate the tips. I've started wearing my Asics Gel 7 Revolution tennis shoes and they feel much better than the cheaper shoes I was wearing previously. My feet are much happier in them.

I've also begun taking 2,000mg of Turmeric supplements each day. And I'm using the Penetrex cream when I feel some pain coming on. But I've been free of Aleve or other pain relievers since I started playing again. And I'm back to playing a couple of hours at a time with no issues.

So hopefully the combination of all of these changes has helped me to better manage things and stay relatively pain free. I am kind of addicted to playing, so it's hard to stop. I need to have something to keep busy to replace the time I was previously spending back when I was still working.

Thought I would update my original post. I'm back to playing pickleball just about every day, sometimes twice a day. No aches or pains in my knees, feet or ankles.

I have a slight case of tennis elbow, but I've found that just a dab of Penetrex on my arm before I play completely eliminates the pain. I was skeptical the cream would do anything but it really does work for me.

I wear compression ankle socks, compression knee braces, and an elbow brace when I play. I feel like I'm preparing for combat every time I dress to play, but it seems to be keeping me out of harms way. And the Asics tennis shoes have been great.

We did have two accidents this past week in my group though. One woman tumbled trying to reach a ball by the net. She cut the side of her face open and bruised her shoulder. She hasn't been back since. And one guy ran into a fence and cut his arm open. It wasn't too bad so he seems to be doing fine.

Who would have thought these would be the new challenges I face in ER. Go figure.

At Church Sunday. Young man, in early 50's. On crunches and cast on lower leg.
Asked what happened. Torn Achilles tendon. Playing Pickleball.
Asked what is Pickleball? Now I know. Not as recreational as it seems. Maybe playing tennis is safer? ha.

At Church Sunday. Young man, in early 50's. On crunches and cast on lower leg.
Asked what happened. Torn Achilles tendon. Playing Pickleball.
Asked what is Pickleball? Now I know. Not as recreational as it seems. Maybe playing tennis is safer? ha.

Try Paintball....way more fun!:cool:

I know when I first retired I started playing golf much more frequently and soon developed some of the repetitive injuries that serious golfers sometime experience like tennis elbow, shoulder soreness, tender back. Decided to try adding in strength exercises 2-3 times a week to build up muscle around those joints along with plenty of core exercises, also do dynamic stretches before doing anything. It seems to have really helped me, the tennis elbow and sore shoulder went away fairly quickly and no back issues.
My BiL works out religiously at lunch every day and is in good shape for 69. He was working with a top golf pro who suggested he change his swing slightly. The change hurt his back literally grinding a small piece of bone into his back cavity. Back surgery took 3 1/2 hours, and he is now okay. The radiologist also spotted bladder cancer when looking at his back on a MRI, so the back problem may have saved his life. His bladder problem has also been addressed.

He has since given up his beloved skiing not wanting to take anymore risks. Golf remains his preferred and only sport.

Likewise for me, the planks help. I've found I have better posture and overall better core strength. They also help with weight training and maintaining technique with an ever lower amount of weight as time progresses over the years. A PITA but easy work into the schedule.

Buy the best cushioning shoes made for hard Court tennis you can afford. Replace them frequently— like maybe every three months on your schedule. Even if not worn out.

I've heard this replacement advice, and perhaps it's true. Lena replaces her running (well, now walking, after her knee went bad) shoes frequently.

But look at the worn shoes and think about it. First, it's hard to believe that the half inch or so of cushioning can make a big difference. Then, to believe that the slight loss of cushioning that happens in a few months of use makes them a lot worse is a bit of a stretch for me.

Here are Lena's last three pairs of running shoes (why does she keep them? Two words: Imelda Marcos):

nNLYYW0.jpg

Sure, I could be wrong, and protecting your knees may require extreme measures, but I'll bet the running shoe industry has a lot running (ha ha) on making people believe that frequent replacement is critical.

I would agree that "no one really knows". But cushioning deteriorates slowly, and you can't really tell from looking at the sole. Some people get sore feet, knees, back and hip issues from wearing older shoes, and it happens gradually over time. There's no switch where a shoe goes from good to bad.

I track my running mileage as best I can. I won't run races or do long training runs with shoes over 300-400 miles, but I will do shorter runs with them for awhile longer. I feel like I can tell a difference between shoes with 400 miles and shoes with 25 miles. After that if I like them I will wear them around normal daily walking, even hiking as long as they feel ok. Possibly it's in my mind but since I've tracked shoes more closely I feel like I probably have fewer wear-and-tear issues.

I think someone who is feeling foot, knee, hip or back aches and pains should try new shoes, and if that helps, start tracking your shoe usage and learn when you need to replace before those issues start up. If you don't have issues you can certainly go a lot longer. Harry Klugh is certainly one of those people who can wear shoes longer. I'm pretty sure that I am not.

Sure, I could be wrong, and protecting your knees may require extreme measures, but I'll bet the running shoe industry has a lot running (ha ha) on making people believe that frequent replacement is critical.

I have added Dr. Scholl's orthotics to my somewhat worn athletic shoes and they really help. Much cheaper than new shoes.

Obviously orthotics are not a cure for well worn soles and heels, but if the inside cushioning is getting a bit worn, they seem to work fine for me.

IMHO, athletic gear and ideas are about as prone to bad science as nutritional suppliments and various ways of eating - in other words, very bad.

Last edited:
If you walk it is probably not much of a problem. If you run or play sports that require plyometric motion like squash etc and you are over 40 I’d say it is a false economy to over extend your shoes. For example squash is an indoor game and the shoes can look pretty good after a year but aren’t. If you have ever experienced plantar fasciitis it would perhaps be revelatory. Some people simply have sturdier genetic makeup and perhaps you are luck. Lucky!

Back
Top Bottom